Coulter Caleb

Iola Car Show ‘18

Coulter Caleb

Today me and Dad are going down to the Iola car show.My Dad has been going to this show with his dad (aka grandpa) since 1991.This will be my second time at he show and I am really excited :happy-bouncymulticolor:Iola has different themes of cars so this year the theme is movie cars. Cruzing down the road now following grandpa and grandma in her ‘72 LeMans.

image.jpg.cbc4d26c2f7651072e3436c6aef37a32.jpg

9F9E0AA8-6653-4407-A0D3-2BC311007034.thumb.jpeg.54ebe3c088c13a4804ad2d35713628cc.jpeg

Cruz’n in Dad’s ‘69 goat in which he took me from the hospital when I was a baby.

Chime in with your personal favorite muscle car and I’ll try to get you a pic of it because there is thousands of cars here.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Great thread Coulter!  There are so many memories of this show rattling around in my brain.  One that stands out was the first year that Dad and I drove to it in his 1966 IH Scout!  We had a blast and the show was about half the size it is today. Back then we could’ve bought a nice GTO for under $5K—boy those were the days!  

A little tip—when starting a bottom of the page thread, tag a few buddies to generate some buzz.  In this case, I happen to know that @19richie66, @AMC RULES, @WVHillbilly520H, @Goldann520 Are all big car guys and probably would like to take this journey with you today.

In keeping with your request, find me a blue 1965 GTO to post a picture of. I like all GTO’s (yes even the new ones) but I’ve always felt like the ‘65’s were something special.

• Like 5

ebinmaine

Man oh man. So many!

I don't know if I could genuinely pick a favorite.

I'll be happy to follow along to see what other people choose though!

• Haha 2

19richie66

My favorite car was my second and the one I regret the most getting rid of. 1967 Buick GS400.505FCD54-BF5F-44F2-8524-862FA04CD45A.jpeg.64e7551530439fef718c84a7b4ce008a.jpeg

first car I had was a 1967 Buick Special.4E448A93-DE68-4CD0-9C38-54EB2059C3A2.jpeg.260f49ac773de7ae67eea83ffeb22056.jpeg

and of course my 1966 Subeam tiger I had. 09B3B5B0-69E4-4B8E-AFC3-1B09339372D7.jpeg.22cc3f202f1dd33533a6b0ebf4b3340f.jpeg

You guys have a great day at the show and enjoy spending the time with your dad and grandparents!

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Coulter Caleb

ED42BE93-B1E5-49E6-95FB-E3506B8F48B5.jpeg.7eb27f3fe8cb6a321bab07f2f3d68baa.jpegThis is for you Richie

1965 Mark IV

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Sarge

My "playground" on trips to relatives in 1966 was in the back window tray of a '66 Dodge Charger - 383/4spd, brushed silver w/red interior. I still remember that huge back window on that fastback styling in the first generation. In '67, Dad traded that one in (the 383 would never run right) for a '67 Plymouth GTX, 440/automatic in Navy blue/blue interior. He raced that one a lot in the stock classes, ran an entire season undefeated with it and got some backing support from Chrysler for it. The '67 was always either at the track, or the body shop - seemed like everyone in the world wanted to hit it. He finally got fed up and bought the monster in 1970 - Dodge Charger 440-6/automatic, black with saddle tan leather, a rare RT/SE that today would be worth a fortune. Engine suffered some factory mistakes from day one - in '72 it was pulled out and totally overhauled/modified by my great uncle - to around 650hp. Best time it pulled in the 1/4 mile was 10.67ET on 8" slicks. He quit racing it in early '74 due to being protested too much, then my stepmother totaled the car later that fall.

In the late '70s, after a divorce, all his pictures, along with a lot of the trophies and certificates from Chrysler were lost to a basement flood, I do have a very few stored somewhere in his old stuff that is in storage - need to dig those up and have them digitized. Needless to say - I prefer old Mopars, but love everything from the muscle car era.

Getting a real kick out of the direction Mopar has gone lately, starting to dive deeper into the no-holds-barred realm of horsepower, again. A local guy here has a Challenger Hellcat, just ordered a new Demon as well to complete the package.

My Stepdad has always been a Chevy fan - he currently has a '70 black Nova, Camaro and a magazine-build '70 Chevelle wagon. All are getting put up for sale now - his kidneys have failed and he just went home yesterday to live out his final few days with a home-hospice care setup. Almost feels like the end of an era - the guys that bought these things new, built, raced and used them for daily drivers for years are quickly going away from age/health. So glad to see the resurgence in car show interest keeping these things around and out in the public eye - instead of sitting in a collection somewhere on blocks, never to be seen again.

Sarge

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sparky

I’m hoping someday to have a 1964-1966 Chevy C10, shortbed, step-side. 

There just has to be one at the show your at!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Tons of memories will come to many minds with this thread. I don't have pictures so I pirated clones off the net. Fresh out of high school this is the car that got me the nickname Racinbob. A 1966 Nova. Not a real powerhouse with a 283 but was pretty quick after I was done with it.

5b4767f5f151c_1966Nova.jpg.58aecf07e5df28608d881e429eafdeaa.jpg

My soon to be wife drove this. A 1967 Tempest.

5b4767fa89c49_1967Tempest.jpg.8384965f102500cad2e16f228f436432.jpg

Again, not a powerhouse with a 326 but I always loved the lines. If we still had it today I could see it ending up as a GTO clone. We only raced each other side by side once. The high winding little 283 was the victor by a car length. :auto-layrubber:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Anything from GM 1967 year I would take in a heartbeat. That red Sunbeam appears to be an Alpine, the four cylinder version before Carroll Shelby got ahold of it and stuffed a small block ford V-8 in it and named it a tiger. Very cool cars indeed. Thanks for the pictures.

• Like 2

Coulter Caleb

Grandpa’s first car was a ‘66 Tempest with a 326 and a 3spd.  By the time he was done with it, it had a souped up 389 Tri-Power with a 4spd out of a junkyard ‘Vette.  He also went to the “guards” with a buddy that drove a 327 powered ‘66 Nova that was really high winding and quick!

Sparky—it should be pretty easy to find a “shark nose” Chevy!  Those are pretty common around here.

Sarge thanks for the stories and a great bunch of cars to choose from...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

19richie66

Always great to see a younger person interested in real cars. I am however a big fan of the protouring craze. Nothing better than seeing an older muscle car that can hold it’s own with the newer stuff out there. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Nothing better than seeing an older muscle car that can hold it’s own with the newer stuff out there. 

Agreed.

Horsepower and torque is horsepower and torque. Fast car is a fast car. But I gotta tell ya, there's nothing quite like having an engine that is breathing fire out the exhaust because of the old school 60s racing cams.

When I was younger, up until a couple years ago I guess. There was a car show and flea market here in Amherst New Hampshire that really was more like an institution than just a place to bring and sell cars. I used to go there at 4 or 4:30 in the morning just so I could hear them coming in.

The state of New Hampshire allows temporary license plates so there would be guys driving in machines that were basically just drag cars... Sort of street legal. You know, almost.

Good memories there.....

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

Always great to see a younger person interested in real cars. I am however a big fan of the protouring craze. Nothing better than seeing an older muscle car that can hold it’s own with the newer stuff out there. 

we had this conversation a few days a ago, I am not old but in high school 5.0 mustangs, z28s were cheap and easy to come across and even muscle cars,  now a decent 5.0 is now a 10k to 15k car, a 60's muscle is 10k for a project car,  there really isnt much out there for a younger person to get into unless they have  connections or hand me down car or blow the college fund

• Like 2

varosd

Caleb,

Please wear the shoulder seatbelt, in addition to the lap belts, in your Dad's GTO! 

Prior to 1968, the shoulder seat belt (usually separate from the lap belt until the 70's) was an option for most cars. 

For 1968, it was mandatory to have both.

lap belts are better than nothing but cause head injuries and hip dislocations.

My 67 Camaro only has lap belts and I will upgrade to after market Morris 3 point seat belts

Camaro.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Coulter Caleb, my personal all time favorite I own is the last generation Chevy Malibu 2 door (1978-83) otherwise all lumped in the "G-body" moniker, Jeff.

26216525574646.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Aldon

My second vehicle is still a favorite. 68 Rally Sport Camaro, with 327 and 4 speed.

However, I would likely take the car that I was trying to purchase at the time which my father vetoed. 2 seater AMX with 390 4 speed. I want to say it was also a 68 but memory is fuzzy. Father probably made the correct decision as I imagine I would have gotten into even more trouble with that one than I did with the Camaro:-)

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Caleb, my first car was a '31 Chrysler sedan which I bought when I was about your age. I had no power tools except a 1/4" electric drill and had very little adult supervision. I pulled the 331 CID Hemi from a '53 Chrysler and was installing it in the '31. The owner of our local welding shop spotted it in the barn and stopped by to see what I was attempting to do. He talked to my parents and offered me a part time job at his shop. He told my dad I would have killed myself if I got that thing running! He was probably right. Long story short I learned to weld and did get the drive-train put together but never got it on the road before I went in the Navy and my dad sold all of my junkers while I was in the service. I don't blame him a bit, but sure would like to see s nice street rodded '31 Chrysler if you run across one.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys for cars.  Keep them coming! We are finding many of these and snapping shots

HOWEVER...

Cell signal up here at the Show is sketchy at best not allowing us to post much for photos.

We are having a great time and will be posting more pics later on...

38FAC649-88E9-4E5F-BAE6-15EEE7FAF3FF.jpeg.8cbcc0bfe175f3a349cc3a36363fdcb0.jpeg

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

My favorite car which I purchased my senior year in high school was a 1963 Chevy Impala SS 327 Cu in 4 speed. My Dad picked up for me and my younger brother said the old man shift out of second at 110 mph driving on a 2 lane road back to Richmond. White with a red interior. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

AMC RULES

Here you go Caleb...my favorite. 

Name for me this factory prototype, and it's manufacturer.   :confusion-shrug:

Image result for amx 3

:confusion-shrug:  Hint...

they produced some pretty nice old tractors too.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

That is the infamous AMX/3!  I haven’t seen a pic of one of those in years.  I have an old magazine somewhere in my archives from the very early 1990’s that includes a full feature article on the reddish orange one and one of its designers! Super cool Craig— thanks for sharing. Needless to say, we didn’t see one of those today...

• Like 2

rjg854

I quit college to be able to afford my 1966 Pontiac GTO. I loved the handling and power that car had. I wasn't afraid to put that car into any turn and worry if it would hold the road. Third gear would burn tires. That was a true road car.

• Like 5

19richie66
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

Here you go Caleb...my favorite. 

Name for me this factory prototype, and it's manufacturer.   :confusion-shrug:

Image result for amx 3

:confusion-shrug:  Hint...

they produced some pretty nice old tractors too.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Looks kinda like a pantera. Cool car.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Ultra cool car for sure...1969-70 build Craig?  

Picture time:BF10CD84-6CD5-4F21-AD63-168AD9CCDC16.jpeg.94285a9c6da884f12dce07776f80c1e2.jpeg

for Mr Rules!!!

47341478-84F8-4CC5-BD7E-340D42C38E82.jpeg.d1e9c09312fdb7063119f7385ab1463d.jpeg

for Mr Richie

5BF216FD-CCE1-4F49-B918-718996B6014F.jpeg.c96886e760ae996e272ef7d5e8e3eaca.jpeg

for Mr Sarge

C2B8B8BA-4454-4334-8246-EF0E6A3BB875.jpeg.de1c7357cb96dd961630912ac149d98c.jpeg

Eleanor clone

020B7FF0-AD50-46F5-8BA4-95B910EE495B.jpeg.3ec15cd739fc89d1fa15542c7e03beb2.jpeg

Hero car from American Graffiti!  

To be continued...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

quit college to be able to afford my 1966 Pontiac GTO.

My cousin enlisted in the Navy six months after he bought his '65 GTO, had accumulated so many tickets he was about to loose his license and insurance was sky high. When he got to Norfolk VA he got a new license (you could do it back then) and proceeded to loose it too. Don't remember who he sold it to but the saga continued.

• Haha 3