scotty

k181 white smoke question

scotty

Hey everyone my b-80 ive had for a long time and just started having a problem this summer. When the engine gets warmed up good and hot when i idle the engine down it will puff a little white smoke i was wondering what you guys think would cause this? Could it be a blown head gasket?

WHNJ701

pending how many hours you have wouldn't hurt to pull the head off and decarbon replace the gasket and plug, might run some marvel through it too see if it clears up

• Like 1

pfrederi

When you idle down you close the throttle plate and the engine vacuum increases.  That will pull oil up past worn piston rings and give you a puff of white smoke.  We are all getting older.  Some things you just live with... or you can spend a lot of money and have major surgery

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

scotty

Yeah that's what i was thinking pfrederi. This tractor has tons of hours on it. Ill probably just leave it be until it needs the rebuild. Was just kind of curious what would have caused it. Thanks for the super fast replies!

Edited by scotty
  • Like 1

huey

i was wondering the same thing as i have rebuilt a k-341 (bored .020 over) and have about 5-6 hours on it since rebuild and it blows out white smoke if i let it idle for awhile. i'm hoping the rings haven't fully seated!

• Confused 1

953 nut
7 minutes ago, huey said:

i was wondering the same thing as i have rebuilt a k-341 (bored .020 over) and have about 5-6 hours on it since rebuild and it blows out white smoke if i let it idle for awhile. i'm hoping the rings haven't fully seated!

:WRS:

Small engines were never intended to be operated at idle for long periods. When a splash lubricated engine is idling there is little or no oil being deposited on the cylinder wall and as a result the rings are not being lubricated. Also, being air cooled the engine will build up excessive heat on the cylinder wall as it idles.

• Like 1

huey

I meant to say that the 5-6 hours on the engine since rebuild were from actually mowing the lawn it takes me 2 1/2 to 3 hours each time just not sure why i'm getting white smoke if it idles for a couple minutes?