Cetan08

D-160 repower

Cetan08

I recently picked up a D-160 and the original Kohler 16 was blown. I have an Onan BF MS12666C but I understand that it is only 8.5 horse, please correct me if I am wrong. The other option I have is a cast iron 16 horse Briggs. It has all the mounts to hook up everything on the D-160 so I can use it. Did they ever put a Briggs in a D-160? Oh and I guess that I would need to get a starter/generator for the Briggs.
Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pfrederi

8.5 hp is woefully inadequacy to run a D series tractor... Hydros are not that efficient and a D weighs a whole lot.

MarkS

:text-yeahthat:I agree. I have a 7hp Tecumseh in my lawn ranger. Thats only 1 1/2 less hp and about 1/8th the size of tractor.

the_nite_owl

With enough effort you can do just about anything, it's more a matter of determining if it is worth it to you.

That Briggs is probably a single cyl and the kohler a twin so you may have some loss in power.  

Make sure the rotation is correct.

Make sure you can couple the output shaft to the driveshaft.  Figure out what to do about the front pto.

The main thing I have seen people have trouble with is differences in output shafts between engines requiring some custom adaptors.

DennisThornton

I'd investigate that Briggs and use the Onan elsewhere.