"Manic-Mechanic"

kohler rectifier k181-k582

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

I am getting 13v dc at idle and 15-16v dc at full throttle. I hope this is fine as I am using my last rectifier right now.

Regards,

Oldman

ebinmaine

I don't have the exact specs in front of me. Maybe somebody will come along with them. Seems to me that's a bit high on the upper end of your throttle range. I sort of feel like I remember reading somewhere that when you get up around 15 volts for very long you're over charging the battery.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

14.7 volts is the maximum recommended by Kohler. The body of the regulator requires a good ground. Clean up the chassis metal around the mounting screws and the regulator contact surfaces. Then add a ground wire to one of the mounting screws and the other end to a known good chassis ground close to the battery ground cable. There is a good chance the sheet metal is not providing a good enough ground to the regulator and doing this ensures the regulator is seeing the actual battery voltage. This new ground will also help with any other circuits depending on the chassis metal for grounding.

Garry

• Like 2

"Manic-Mechanic"

Right, whenever I tested it outside the tractor and plugged into the harness, I ran a solid ground and it worked great. So then I already had the surface cleaned very well. I may just go ahead and install and additional ground as stated. Rectifiers can be dysfunctional due to that grounding issue and then people can't figure it out as the rectifier and or regulators test out fine on the bench. Sears are good for placing theirs in bad locations, which are also almost impossible to get to! The 18 auto isn't too bad to get to from the ground with a 1/4 drive, using a 1 inch extension. (I prefer mine inside) Some people just mount a new one outside and it is susceptible to damage that way. My volt gauge is after market and probably isn't too great, but it is resisting the rain, "for now", Lol! I have a nice W.S. on reserve. I changed the circuit to allow a volt meter and bypassed/removed the amp gauge altogether. I also installed a solid grounding block behind the dash. I have the modified schematic handy if anyone needs one.

Thanks for the reply, enjoy the day!

Regards,

Oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't have the exact specs in front of me. Maybe somebody will come along with them. Seems to me that's a bit high on the upper end of your throttle range. I sort of feel like I remember reading somewhere that when you get up around 15 volts for very long you're over charging the battery.

Yes, the gauge I am using may not be that accurate, I will search and by a new rectifier. As per gwest I agree a solid ground is crucial. I have the circuit modified with the amp meter bypassed/removed and a volt meter in place grounded to a block behind the dash. I seen the charging volts high and I won't run the engine too long that way for sure!

Oldman

Edited by oldman