"Manic-Mechanic"

Kohler k482 overheating?

"Manic-Mechanic"

Hello,

my k482 is leaking oil on the rear main seal onto the PTO shaft, and works it's way to the mid frame and then drips! I have been driving it all Winter and this Spring, no issues. Now it overheats whenever I try to run the rototiller for a minute or two. I let it cool down and will double check the oil. I really don't want to risk hurting the bearings or anything just to plant grass seed! Looks like another tear down, must loosen the block, slide it forwards and replace the seal. Of coarse the whole grill will need removed as well. Now, there is a valve off the carburetor to the top of the oil pump, (PCV valve?) it allows air through one direction and the other air trickles past the seal? I believe this was addressed in another post already? Well, checked the pcv + and the small brass line, tightened  the brass line. Checked the fuel line & pump +. Oil level finally settled and it is +. The oil pump was turning as well? Strange.......

Oldman

Edited by oldman
additional information

953 nut
2 hours ago, oldman said:

overheats whenever I try to run the rototiller for a minute or two.

Do you have any heat issues without the rototiller in operation? Are you operating the engine at or near wide open throttle? With the tiller in the air and not tied to the tractor will the drive turn over without a great deal of resistance. Have you run the tiller at a lesser depth and had the overheating issue?

pfrederi

Anything set up housekeeping under one of the engine shrouds??

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

u know I did remove a mud wasp nest on top the block, I wonder.......

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Do you have any heat issues without the rototiller in operation? Are you operating the engine at or near wide open throttle? With the tiller in the air and not tied to the tractor will the drive turn over without a great deal of resistance. Have you run the tiller at a lesser depth and had the overheating issue?

I run full throttle, engage the tiller, sink @ 2-3 inches goes about 4 feet begins to stall. shut off PTO quick and lower the throttle, it recovers. Run full throttle no tiller attached runs fairly decent. Checked PTO shaft while disconnect from tiller, turns as it should with mild resistance from the PTO brake. Ran beautiful after tightening the lines but I have not put it under load yet.......

"Manic-Mechanic"

Lol! I did manage to do all the tilling needed, but now am anxious about the heat issue and will check under the tin as pfrederi@ suggested.

Thanks men, muchly appreciated.......Oh, what about the low level oil sensor?

• Like 1

gwest_ca
38 minutes ago, oldman said:

Oh, what about the low level oil sensor?

Used on the single cylinder Kohlers 1986 on. Click on the picture

Garry

pfrederi

How are you determining that she is overheating..smell?? Smoke?? or one of those fancy temp sensor tools???

953 nut
1 hour ago, oldman said:

I run full throttle, engage the tiller, sink @ 2-3 inches goes about 4 feet begins to stall. shut off PTO quick and lower the throttle, it recovers. Run full throttle no tiller attached runs fairly decent. Checked PTO shaft while disconnect from tiller, turns as it should with mild resistance from the PTO brake. Ran beautiful after tightening the lines but I have not put it under load yet.......

What about running the PTO without the tiller attached? Might be an issue there.

"Manic-Mechanic"

been there done that too

"Manic-Mechanic"
40 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

How are you determining that she is overheating..smell?? Smoke?? or one of those fancy temp sensor tools???

Smell & smoke. The PTO belt "melting from the heat off the pulley" and it's not clutch related.

"Manic-Mechanic"

Let me go outside here when it cools off and run it again since the last adjustments. OK, I went outside and fired 'er up right, the heat issue has ceased, perhaps by tightening the 8th inch line from the oil pump to the block helped? Although the rectifier finally went! I had a spare from a kohler k241, old style and the plug matched correctly, so it charges at 16v full throttle and 13v at an idle. The heating up thingy seems to have ceased, for now!

I will keep an eye on the oil safety shut-off though!

Edited by oldman

"Manic-Mechanic"
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Ok, this will be my next area for examination, although this a k482 twinn, same switch? Thanks for the great file, "hopefully won't need it this time"!

Used on the single cylinder Kohlers 1986 on. Click on the picture

Garry