Tractor boy

Need help fast!!!

Tractor boy

So went out to hook up the dozer blade to the 312-8 for some light dirt work. Upon hooking up the rear axle mount for the blade I realized both rims and mounts were covered in oil. A quick inspection shows that the left side seal is shot and the right seal is so so. So off came the blade and out came the tools. Jacked it up and pulled the wheelweights off. I can’t break the boltshilding the wheel to the hub. I did how ever get the two set screws of. My two questions are-

1. Should I keep wacking in the hub with a hammer and two by four and hope it pops off with the key or should I try and get the key off first and then pounded on the hub? 

2. I’m assuming the seals are easy to get. Any ideas where to get them for cheap? Toro dealer is about 20 minutes away and fleabay doesn’t really work for me as I’ve been scammed on there before. Thanks for the help, Tractorboy 

Tractor boy

But the hub is moving! @953 nut

pfrederi

Do not hammer on it or you will be having to split the transmission.  A little inward pounding on the wheel may pop it free but DO NOT pound outwards.  if you have all the lug bolts out shoot some PB Blaster Kroil or you favorite juice to get the wheel off the hubs.  Then try  gear puller to get the  hubs off the axles. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

Seal is CR 9815 at any auto parts store (that is any good)   $2.58 at eb Atmus up in Springfield MA

If you pound outwards on the hub you will probably unseat eh snap ring inside the differential that holds the axle in.  Then you will have to open the trany up.  if it is a must do earth moving project get a qt of 90w gear oil and keep adding it. Then fix the problem appropriate;y.  When you do pull the hubs check for any up down..fore aft play there should be none...Zero.  the axle may move in and out 1/8th inch or so that is OK

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

953 nut

The axle is held in place by a snap ring inside the differential, pounding will break the little pieces of spline off and the axle will come out.

The one on the left is what you have.

20180706_175100.jpg.6ad9095d0c670fc6dc22a74aa71557e0.jpg

Be sure to check for up/down - Front/back play on your axles. If there is play there is a bad bearing.

• Like 1

Tractor boy

Okay so no play. The earth moving project is not a must as I can do it later this summer. Okay. If the hub slides off with the wheel on is this bad or will that be fine?

• Like 1

pfrederi

If they come off together that would be  good thing,  Then you can beat to your hearts content

• Haha 4

Tractor boy
13 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If they come off together that would be  good thing,  Then you can beat to your hearts content

So if it slides easily, I’m good to pound on the hub?

stevasaurus

I think all are saying the tire rims are stuck on your hubs.  If this is what is happening, you might try putting the lug bolts back in, but not all the way, and then drive the horse around in figure eights.  The rims should come loose but not fall off.  :)

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Tractor boy said:

So if it slides easily, I’m good to pound on the hub?

:confusion-confused:            You seem to want to use that BFH Tool!    Once they are off the axle, have at it           :ychain:

• Like 1

Tractor boy

Basically the rim is stuck to the hub via the lug bolts. Mostly everything else moved freely. The hub moves freely with a little bit of oil. My question is should it come off with the oil and hammer or should I take it apart piece by piece. 

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Tractor boy said:

Basically the rim is stuck to the hub via the lug bolts. Mostly everything else moved freely. The hub moves freely with a little bit of oil. My question is should it come off with the oil and hammer or should I take it apart piece by piece. 

If the hub appears to be free on the axle and it still will not pull off, the keyway is probably worn and the key is located in the worn area that formed.  Try rotating the hub to find its original position and pull again.  If you look in the set screw holes you might be able to see the key and what is happening.

953 nut
3 hours ago, Tractor boy said:

hammer or should I take it apart piece by piece.

It is your :wh: and you asked for our input. We all told you not to hammer on the axle. If you want to hammer on it then have at it. After you are finished we explain how to replace the axle you broke.

• Like 2

Tractor boy

Okay. I took it to the toro dealer. He changed it in about 46 minutes. Thanks for the help, Tractorboy 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

46 minutes...that's about how long it took me to read this thread.  :occasion-xmas:  I hope your TORO dealer told you how and what he did.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tractor boy
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

46 minutes...that's about how long it took me to read this thread.  :occasion-xmas:  I hope your TORO dealer told you how and what he did.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

He did. I actually worked their for a summer when I was closer. So we are good friends. 

• Like 1

wallfish
On 7/10/2018 at 5:45 PM, Tractor boy said:

I'm confused. Was this a problem getting the lug bolts off? Or the Hub? Or both? Or what?

6 hours ago, Tractor boy said:

He did.

What did the dealer tell you about how and what he did? Just trying to get an idea of what was going on and how it was fixed.

Plus it's always best to complete your thread with a final solution so any others looking for information in the future can use this as a reference.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2