Jrblanke

312-H (Eaton 1100) Hard to Shift Out of Reverse

Jrblanke

Good morning everyone! 

I had my 312H out for the first time this past weekend and the more I drove it, the harder it was to get out of reverse. I added about a quart of oil before I started (was just barely on the dip stick before) and as I mowed, it got harder and harder to come out of reverse. If I barely put it in reverse (where I was moving slow) I could shift it out. But if I pulled the joy stick all the way back where I was moving quickly, I would have to either hit the brake, or slam it in forward in order to get it out of reverse.  I am beginning to think it was linkage related, like maybe something is getting stuck when I put it all the way in reverse. Anyone had a similar issue? What is the fix?

Jrblanke

Just a follow up on this incase anyone has a similar issue.

I sprayed the linkage down with PB Blaster and other lube and that fixed the issue. Pretty simple.

To expand a bit more, here you go. I couldn't find anything wrong visually when looking at the linkage, however, thinking again about the symptoms which were: 

1. Less stuck in reverse when I eased the control lever in reverse (slow speed)

2. Really stuck in reverse when I jammed the lever into reverse (fast speed)

I kind of figured maybe the linkage was more dirty in the more extreme positions which were used less. So cleaning and lubing everything really helped. I will probably change the filter this fall and try to clean everything a bit better and get it slicked up real nice. Not sure if it supposed to be lubed or not. 

• Like 2

953 nut
12 hours ago, Jrblanke said:

Not sure if it supposed to be lubed or not. 

I have always heard that dry graphite is supposed to be used on the linkage.