Historic Horse

New member - shed full of WH 417-a gear - deciding on it's future

Historic Horse

Hi all,

New just today, impressed to see such a large and active community. Rode my Dad's through high school and college and got lucky enough to buy a house with a 417-A included, as well as tiller, trailer, EasyRake blower, and more. I've just been told my service place will not level my deck due to some fabrication I did to cover rust holes. I've never tried to level side-to-side and am not sure how to do it. I just fabricated a new axle for one of the wheels, which brought one side up a little, but need more. I have all original manuals but they only really address leveling from front to back. This baby has been at work over 30 years, and I'm embarrassed that such a simple thing has idled it. Anyone offer an assist?

Thanks,

DGS

• Like 3

Tractor boy

:WRS: You’ll find that this forum is a great place! And a rule of thumb on here is that:wwp:! Just saying.......

-Tractorboy 

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, Historic Horse said:

Anyone offer an assist?

I'm not the one to help.... I have no mowers.

Someone will be along shortly to help you.

Your ride won't be idle for long.

Welcome to Redsquare !!

19richie66

For what it would cost to pay someone to level and repair it(if it is bent) you could probably find a nice used one. Several on here selling decks or know of one for sale. You could keep the bent one for spare parts(spindles, pulleys, etc). 417-A’s are great machines.  :thumbs:

Edited by 19richie66

953 nut

:WRS:

You will find that the majority of :wh: mower decks from the '80s to 2000 will fit your 417. Take a look at this chart. You may want to place a Wanted Ad on here.      

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/wanted/?do=form&d=2

• Excellent 1

clueless

:text-yeahthat: If you've done some patching around the where the cradle bolts to the deck, and fabed a wheel axle your probably not going to get the deck level. These decks need a lot of massaging when you start having to do that. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Historic Horse.:WRS: I hope you can find one or fix your deck. As you can see there is always good help here.

Chris G

Welcome and I know there decks out there for sale. But if ya post some pics of were ya fabricated, some one here will surely have some more sound advice on getting you squared away.

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

How far out of level is it from side to side? The attachment cradle should keep it pretty close. In a worst case scenario you could use different size gage wheels to compensate for any difference the repair caused.

• Like 1

Historic Horse

I appreciate all of the responses, what a great group. It's about 1/2 an inch out of level or more. I assume based on responses it doesn't really have a side-to-side leveling mechanism and is supposed to be true just based on the cradle design. The Dealer wouldn't level it due to liability, not a loss of integrity on the deck. I just patched holes in non-load-bearing, large areas. On the cheap I like the oversized wheel idea, or maybe I should look at another deck. We'll see how the worn Idler arm issue (for another day) turns out before I spend $$$. Thanks!

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I think I'd just mow back and forth so the low side and high side cuts were always next to each other.... you'll never notice it again.

-->-->-->-->-->-->-->--> ↓

↓<--<--<--<--<--<--<--<--

-->-->-->-->-->-->-->--> ↓

↓<--<--<--<--<--<--<--<--

BESTDOGEVER

There are other factors that could cause this as simple as tire size and pressure that also have a 0 dollar price tag. If it fits snugly in the mid hitch and nothing is obviously bent any other adjustments to get it level won't hurt anything