cod

kohler electronic module test(?)

cod

Any chance that someone may know of a way to test the Kohler module that replaces the points on a K161t 7 HP motor?  Took off the flywheel and found about a dozen dead stink bugs, so I cleaned them out and took some scotch brite to the magnets and magneto but apparently that didn't seem to help.  I've cleaned all the grounds that I'm aware of but before I spend $55.00 on a new part, I'd like to make sure that the old one has failed.

Thanks - Cod

Tommy Graffen

Having the same issue,any help would be appreciated 

cheers Tommy

953 nut

This manual should help.

Is this it?

BESTDOGEVER

If it is a electronic module you can disconnect the ground/kill wire and see if that changes anything, if it is an old style (points and condenser) try cleaning points and checking all connections. 

cod

FWIW, I ended up buying a new one for $55.00 and that solved the problem.  I tried checking all the wires for continuity and disconnected the ground wire but I could not find anything obvious and never got it to produce a spark.  I asked the gal where I bought the new one and she indicated that the Kohler modules appear to be replaced on a regular basis, so I may go back to a set of points and condenser if it goes up again. I only use this piece of equipment a couple of times a year and one would think that the electronics would last with infrequent use.

I don't know if there are other manufacturers you could try instead or if one "has" to use only a Kohler for a Kohler.

Good luck - Cod

gwest_ca

What is the part number of this Kohler module?

Garry

BESTDOGEVER

I have only replaced 1 in 30 plus years and the replacement was also 30 years old 3 years ago and the tractor is used all year long 

cod
11 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

What is the part number of this Kohler module?

Garry

Garry, I bought the part at Jack's Small Engines and their part number is:

2575710S

It's the second one I got from them and I think the previous one lasted about 4 years.

Not sure if bestdodgever is using the same part but he's having much better luck than I am with his electronic module.

Cod

BESTDOGEVER

Mine are all oem and the one that failed was on an engine that was outside for years and the lamination rusted. Point being electronic modules normally last a long time contrary to the sales person's comments even non oem ones should go 10 years or more 

gwest_ca

Thanks. I knew they existed but did not know that Kohler had one of their own.

With the coil problems lately I wonder if a diode should be added to the ignition wire. Click on the picture.

If an ignition switch starts to fail it would sure eliminate a lot of problems.

Garry

Howie

:text-yeahthat:  That will eliminate any stray electrical spikes out of the module..   

cod
On 7/29/2018 at 6:59 PM, gwest_ca said:

Thanks. I knew they existed but did not know that Kohler had one of their own.

With the coil problems lately I wonder if a diode should be added to the ignition wire. Click on the picture.

If an ignition switch starts to fail it would sure eliminate a lot of problems.

Garry

Thanks Garry.  Interesting idea and I'll look into it.  I keep the beast inside when I'm not using it so I'm reasonably sure that the module is not adversely affected by the weather but perhaps there are surges in the circuit that lead to failure

Cod.