Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Snowplow/blade build, Im getting on with it at las

TT

Here's a bit simpler design, Ian. This is the angle pivot mechanism of the 1961 blade for my 701:

12308033.jpg

Rollerman

Ian looks great for starting with scraps & an idea. :D

T-Mo

Ian,

I though the wheel hub idea had merit, oh well, shows what I know. :D

I'm sure you will brainstorm something - you have done an amazing job already. And with Terry's photos to guide you now, you will have it figured out in no time, I'm sure. :P

Rollerman

Ian that stainless will probably hold up well for the moldboard....but I liked the street sign look also. :D

combatmp29r

Very nice Ian. Looking good so far. Now are you planning on polishing the stainless to help the snow slide off :D:P :(

TT

And Ian..... when you're done with the dozer blade you can move on to a mid-mount grader blade. :P

Here's another link to get you interested:

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg221/W...Grader%20blade/

(it's not overly "pretty", but it does the job :D )

Stigian

Evening all :(

Here's a bit simpler design, Ian. This is the angle pivot mechanism of the 1961 blade for my 701

Cheers for the photo Terry, it has come in very handy for ideas :D

when you're done with the dozer blade you can move on to a mid-mount grader blade.

Now thats an interesting thought, maybe a use for the old road sign :o

Ian looks great for starting with scraps & an idea

Thank you Stephen :P

Ian that stainless will probably hold up well for the moldboard....but I liked the street sign look also

Fingers crossed the stainless will be up to the job, im thinking about putting a strengthening bar across the back of the blade inbetween the 4 curved ribs to help things a bit.

I could paint the blade to look like the road sign, not sure it would have the same feel as the sign though :(

I though the wheel hub idea had merit, oh well, shows what I know.

I'm sure you will brainstorm something - you have done an amazing job already. And with Terry's photos to guide you now, you will have it figured out in no time, I'm sure

I thought the 'hub idea was good as well JD Terry, shows what we both know :o

I guess its best to build it the right way to start with and Terry's (soo many Terry's B) ) photos its going the right way :(

Very nice Ian. Looking good so far. Now are you planning on polishing the stainless to help the snow slide off

Im sure ive got some silver tinted car wax somewhere Joel :( :o

Stigian

Thats all the quotes and reply's sorted, time for another update :P

Now the wheel hub idea is out the window (or back in the parts pile :( ) its time to do the job the right way or rather the Wheel Horse way :o

The Wheel Horse way means like this.

12308016.jpg

Photo sponsored by Tricycle Terry :o:D

More welding on the blade, this time to put the pivot points on.

100_2229.jpg

Im not quite sure how to explain the next photo, best to say its my version of the WH blade pivot thingy :o

With a bit of trimming on the A-frame tip and a couple of mounting plates i can mount the blade as above.

100_2231.jpg

Just in case your all wondering what the sticker says, heres a close up but i shall leave you guessing as to what the metal came from :(:(

100_2230.jpg

combatmp29r

Good show Ian. Looks like a good design :D

Now lets see did the steel come form your blender? :P

Stigian

Now lets see did the steel come form your blender? :P

And here was me thinking it would be hard to guess :D:( :(

Stigian

It feels like the plow is getting there at last, or at least closer to being usable :(

Now where did i get too with this thread :D

Scrolls down, says "ah there".

Scrolls back up again :P:(

The blade now fixes onto the pivot thingy, well it will do with a couple of spacers and a long bolt B)

100_2253.jpg

The point of no return...

Well, no more of a pivot point :o

After lots of measuring i cut the end of the A-frame off and cut two matching plates to sandwich the pivot thingy to the A-farme.

In this photo the bottom plate is welded in place. The rusty bit of steel is only clamped to help keep things square.

Those with sharp eyes may of noticed the pivot thingy has had a thick washer welded on.

HHmmm id better trim the pivot bolt down a bit B) Its a front wheel spindle from (i think) a Kawasaki Z200. :o

100_2257.jpg

This photo will give you a better idea of what im rambling on about :o

I have just clamped the top plate in place to check everything still fits where it should.

I know the plate looks a bit thin (its thicker then it looks in the photo), but i have a plan B)

100_2258.jpg

But first, This :(

Honest guv, its not a copy of a WH idea :o

For those not in the know :o this rod locks the blade pivot straight ahead or at an angle pivoting both ways.

The thread has been taken off the rod end that goes into the pivot.

The spring came from a kiddys puzzle in a christmas cracker :woohoo:

100_2261.jpg

More to come later, its dinner cooking time :(

T-Mo

Ian,

It's starting to come together real nice. Love your commentary (pivot thingy) :P I also like the angle rod idea. It's coming along great. :D

Greg B.

It's obvious that Ian is not a politician. He exhibits entirely too much common sense. :P This thing is coming along nicely. :D

Greg B.

Rollerman

Very nice Ian...always cool to see something usefull come together out of an idea & a pile of scrap metal. :D

Stigian

It's obvious that Ian is not a politician. He exhibits entirely too much common sense. :woohoo: This thing is coming along nicely. :D

Greg B.

If i was a politician id spend all my time telling what i plan to do, and never actually get round to doing it :(:(

Cheers for the kind comments guys :P

Oh baked spuds, chicken kiev and salad if you were wondering B)

Time to put the strengthening plan into action, but first a bit of cleaning.

You might say it was a bit sticky :o

100_2264.jpg

I should of taken more photo's but i was too busy enjoying myself building it :o

Anyway jump forward a few steps and this is the point i got too today :o

The great plan was to weld lengths of box over the pivot thingy mounting plates and onto the A-frame. I need to finish welding the box in place and maybe some small sections in front and behind the pivot bolt just to stop things twisting when im pushing snow/earth/ramming walls down etc B)

The down side of the extra box section was the A-frame was on the ground when the blade was :(

Oh well, nothing for it but take the easy way out and drill some higher mounting holes on the back of the blade :o

100_2269.jpg

As is the catchphrase of my good friend Garry, "not long now" :( :o

Nick

Nice work Ian. And Im with Stephen nothing better than taking a pile of scrap and building something you can use.

I took a look at your trike video. The trike looks great and maybe just a bit scary fast. Also cant beat a video with an AC/DC soundtrack. :D

Nick in Ohio

Stigian

Cheers Nick, theres nothing quite like making something from what most people would call scrap :D

Recycling and saving money of course :(

Slightly off topic here, im guessing you had a look at my stigs shack site :P

Cheers for the trike comment, if you look on streetfire .net somehwhere buried is the testing video including the trikes first movement under its own power :(

I need to get on with the Wolf Garten Kart project. fingers crossed another engine for it will be turning up tomorrow. Its 3 times the size of the planned engine, oh and water cooled :(

kpinnc

Great work Ian!

Lots of thought went into your work, and it shows! :D

Kevin

illinilefttackle

Ian-your good! I see you love your project work and it shows! Here in the states we have the "Grammy's, the Emmy's, the Oscar's, etc. All awards for excellence in production, filming, and script writing of video productions-

Well Guys-I think its time for a special Award for Ian-THE "THINGY" AWARD! :D

Seriously, you are very talented and I will follow your posts and try to learn as much as I can-AL

Stigian

Well Guys-I think its time for a special Award for Ian-THE "THINGY" AWARD! :(

Seriously, you are very talented and I will follow your posts and try to learn as much as I can-AL

LOL, cheers Al :(

Not sure my lack of knowing what a part is called is worth an award :o

But "Ian the Thingy" is quite catchy name :o

Onto todays fun and games, most of which has been lots of :D ing

The first part was easy, just a couple more bits of box across the front of the pivot plate whatnots (sorry) thingys :o

The whole thing is now so stiff it should be upto the job :(

100_2270.jpg

The thing that has caused so much :P ing was trying to work out the trip spring B)

Everything from tires to elastic and bike shocks were suggested :o

In the end it was some bike parts that came to the rescue :o

I raided the "might come in handy one day" pile and dug out a couple of Kawasaki GPz 305 forks :(

After draining the nasty, smelly and very dirty oil out the big spring was pulled out and cleaned. It was at this point that i thought "oh **&&

Greg B.

Compared to a couple of sections of garage door spring, that's one classy looking piece. :D

Greg B

Rollerman

Ian you most deffinatley bring entertainment & education to all of us here at Red Square! :P

I can't wait to see you useing the plow with some action shots!

I'd also like to know what you smoke & whats in your coffee that helps motvate you? :(

You seem to get going on a project & just run with it! :D

combatmp29r

Stephen, I'm starting to think it has something to do with all the Tea they drink across the pond. Ian and Jim (MITH) seem to be the same. Come up with an idea jump in with both feet and run full speed dead ahead until they reach the completion point. Then form another idea and go off on another fabrication adventure. Hmmm Maybe I should have drank more of the SAS' tea when we worked with them in Iraq. :D

Sparky

Ian. Your story and pics about the progress of your plow project make for some great reading. Better than any novel out there :D !

Looks great by the way.

Mike.......

nylyon

Ian, that bike fork mod was brilliant! Coming along nicely I might add.