Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Snowplow/blade build, Im getting on with it at las

TT

Looks like all your fabrication and hard work have payed off, Ian. :thumbs:

As for the new tires though..... I think you need DUALS that size -- then you'll have something! :thumbs:

69DEZ

EXCELLENT JOB!!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Sparky

So did the shock thingy's do their job? Looks like you had some fun, I'm always lookin for something to push with the blade when we have no snow.

Mike.....

chevelletown

I can't wait to see & read the story that goes along with that rear wheel swap over....there might be alot more sparky thingies, and axle thingies and transmission thingies. And think of all the gallaons of coffey and :thumbs: ing its going to take. Ian, keep up the good work.

Greg B.

Ian,

This project has been educational, entertaining and inspirational for a lot of us. I'll have one for next winter and will, because of parts availability, probably steal your shock thingy idea.

Thanks for sharing your efforts.

Greg B.

Rollerman

Ian looking great & like so many others on here I want to give you comps for yout writeing flair & breaking the project down in so many steps we could all absorb it. :thumbs:

T-Mo

Ian,

I see a pulitizer prize for your writing skills. :thumbs:

I don't know but your rear tire change out looks a little unbalanced. You might have to change the front ones also. :thumbs:

Stigian

Wow, your all a chatty bunch when im tucked up in bed :P

As always cheers for the great comments guys, its cool to know people like what i do :P

Its reply time :D

As for the new tires though..... I think you need DUALS that size -- then you'll have something!

Funny you should mention the Tri Terry :D

Think i might need to up rate the engine a tad though with them big old wheels on the back:D

EXCELLENT JOB!!!!!

Thank you very much sir :D

So did the shock thingy's do their job? Looks like you had some fun, I'm always lookin for something to push with the blade when we have no snow

Yes Mike the shock thingys seem to work quite well, though i havnt tried ramming into lumps of concrete yet :D

Your right, it was great fun though i think the farmer should pay me for tidying up part of the yard :o

I can't wait to see & read the story that goes along with that rear wheel swap over....there might be alot more sparky thingies, and axle thingies and transmission thingies. And think of all the gallaons of coffey and whtractor/scratchhead.gif ing its going to take. Ian, keep up the good work.

Sorry Chevelletown, there wont be a story about those wheels, knowing the farmer i couldnt afford the price :P

But dont worry, coffee, smokes and all kinds of thingys (i need a small trade mark thingy to put by that word :) ) will be appearing in posts near you :thumbs:

This project has been educational, entertaining and inspirational for a lot of us

Glad to of been of service :o

Seriously, that means a lot to me cheers Greg :P

probably steal your shock thingy idea.

Your welcome to sir :P

Thanks for sharing your efforts.

Thanks for viewing :o

Ian looking great & like so many others on here I want to give you comps for yout writeing flair & breaking the project down in so many steps we could all absorb it.

Cheers Stephen :D

I think what helps a great deal with my writing is, this is such a relaxing, friendly place to be :D

Thank you guys for making RedSquare the fine place it is :o:D

I see a pulitizer prize for your writing skills

A what? :thumbs:

I don't know but your rear tire change out looks a little unbalanced. You might have to change the front ones also

I guess its about time i checked the tire pressures :D

The rears arnt in the best of condition i have to admit, not too badly worn just very cracked and a big split on the side wall of the rust coloured one.

They only cost me

Stigian

Chapter 10

Development, a bit of fun, and a broken bit.

Evening all, first off can i say :D a :D er... :D:P

Im honored :D:P

In the spirit of keeping upto date, heres friday's news today :o

After yesterdays or was it Thursdays :thumbs: fun and games with the plow a bit of development was needed as the A-frame was still hitting the ground at the same time as the blade <_<

A bit like this :)

100_2330.jpg

After the normal :thumbs: ing, no coffee this time though :o i thought "why not make the plow blade a bit deeper".

Easy to do, but a bit of a pain finding the steel to do it.

Take a couple of very old trailer sides

100_2332.jpg

Cut the hinges off then cut the eyes off the hinges

:D

Clean the straight bits up, weld together, keep fingers crossed that it stays straight during welding, then weld to the bottom of the plow.

100_2336.jpg

Enough space to drive a bus under, well almost :P

100_2367.jpg

While the front of the plow was apart i took the time to weld some washers onto the shock :D piston rods to limit how much the piston goes back into the shock.

Oh and to take out a bit of slack :D

The plus side is, with the shock :D bolted back in place, by putting a spacer inbetween the piston washer and the shock body i can change the blade tilt angle :P

100_2334.jpg

Testing and the broken bit photo's coming up shortly, The Chinese take-out is here.

Yummy :P :o

Stigian

Where was i :thumbs:

Oh yes, testing :P

A gentle bit of leveling first.

100_2337.jpg

Thats looks better :thumbs:

100_2361.jpg

Some slightly more heavy duty plowin :D

100_2353.jpg

Here i am trying to show that the shock :P 's work :D

You too can look this daft while having Wheel Horse fun :P

100_2365.jpg

At last,

Its here :D

The photo you have been waiting for :P

Its the broken bit :D:D

While doing my Mr Universe impression pulling on the front of the plow, i noticed the top of the pivot bolt was missing :)

Must of been a bad welding day when i shortened that bolt :D:D

100_2366.jpg

Thats all for this time folks

Stay tuned in the hope i stop playing and get the build finished :D

Rollerman

Stay tuned in the hope i stop playing and get the build finished

Um...Ian you seem to be moveing right along with this project. :thumbs:

It's what comes next that will top this that were all waiting to see. :D

A broken bolt though....wow thats quite a dramatic failure. :P ....I'd say your efforts have paid off by thinking ahead & then building a nice plow from what you had on hand. :thumbs:

I feel inspired to build something now too...just not inspired enough to out out in the 0 temps today. :D

Stigian

Chapter er... oh, 11 :D

Bike bits to the rescue again.

Evening all.

Bit of a cold start to todays work, a nice chilly -5'c in my workshop this morning :)

With no firewood for the heater it was a case of open the doors and work while the world warms up :thumbs:

I dont mind the cold, just would like some snow with it :D

Anyway, where was i? oh yes bike bits :D

Today was the day i got on with making the angle change lever.

My thinking was to find something strong for the lever pivot, and take it from there.

After a bit of rummaging through my mower spares and scrap metal bin, i noticed a motor bike rear wheel spindle, adjusters and spacer that had fallen out of a box.

Handy eh :P

100_2411.jpg

After lots of measuring and :thumbs: ing the wheel spacer and a bit of box found themselves being welded to the A-frame.

100_2412.jpg

A few mods were needed to the wheel adjusters.

The one on the right got a bit longer and gained a new hole :D

The left is for fixing the actual lever too.

The bit of shaped box will be the bottom of the lever, the idea is it slots over the ex-adjuster, stops when the groove hits the pin, then all it needs is a clevis pin and clip through the top hole to hold it all together.

This should make the lever easy to get on and off when taking the plow on/off the WH :D

100_2415.jpg

Weld both er.. ex-adjuster :P 's to the cut down spindle and you end up with something a bit like this :P

100_2419.jpg

It looks much better bolted in place on the A-frame :D

The connecting rod is a cut down, re-welded and badly straightened Westwood part.

100_2424.jpg

The other end with adjuster only took a bit of box to mount it on the blade pivot :P

The rod end is inline with the main pivot bolt, the only space left to put it was on top

blade pivot :D

100_2423.jpg

Thats all for this time folks, tune back for more of the same kinda fabricating fun :D

wesley

Well done lan great job , looking forward to seing that, you should be proud of what you have done .

regards wes

TT

Did you try to angle it to the right, Ian? It looks like it's going to hit the side of the A frame unless you trim it off some. (which you probably already have done by now :thumbs: )

Stigian

Cheers Wes :thumbs: it might even have a coat or two of paint when you visit :P

Which bit is going to hit where on the A-frame Terry :thumbs:

If your thinking of the rod mount on the pivot :D , there is room......... just :D

TT

Yeah, Ian.... the little chunk of box tubing looks like it will hit the "lip" thats sticking out the right side of the A frame when you angle the blade to the right..

Stigian

Im going to blame it on me for not taking the photo from the best angle :thumbs: :thumbs:

Mith

Look'n good Ian :thumbs:

Yer going to end up with a left arm like popeye lifting it up and down :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Very nice Ian :thumbs: I'm in suspense waiting for chapter uhhhhhh 12 yeah thats it :thumbs:

Stigian

Look'n good Ian :P

Yer going to end up with a left arm like popeye lifting it up and down :thumbs:

Cheers Jim :thumbs:

Its kinda the blokes version of the "bar maids arm" :D

The plow is a bit on the heavy side, but could be far worse :D

I'm in suspense waiting for chapter uhhhhhh 12 yeah thats it

:P:P :D

T-Mo

Ian,

Looking good. Confession time, I have been ignoring this thread when I was at home - dial-up you know. :D Now at work with the hi-speed connection, I can enjoy this thread again. :thumbs:

Not only does the blade/plow look good, but it looks like it's fully functional and does a great job of it's intended purpose. My hat's off to you, Ian. :thumbs:

Stigian

I have been ignoring this thread

:P:D:thumbs::D

Its ok Terry, il let you off this time :P:P

When i do my update tonight i shall start a new thread with dial-up friendly pics :thumbs:

T-Mo

When i do my update tonight i shall start a new thread with dial-up friendly pics

Ah, just for little ole me! :thumbs: Seriously, though, I have been enjoying this thread and your commentary has been excellent. :thumbs: