Ritter

Hello All - New to Site

Ritter

Greetings All,

Really nice site, and I am a new member.   As I kick back and eat my lunch,  I could not have imagined that Wheel Horse Tractor owners would have such a cool and well-organized place to ‘meet’ despite being out of production for so long.  My name is Ron and I have a 1979 C-81.   It has a WH pull-behind cart as well as a snow plow with chains, weights, etc..

The tractor belonged to my grandfather, who purchased it new in 1979 for just over $1,100.00.  Some of my best memories are learning to drive it (barely reaching the pedals) and trying to understand the difference between the clutch and brake.   I believe at one point it had a lawn sweeper, which eventually just dragged and made skid marks across the lawn until it was retired.

My grandfather drove this tractor year-round for 7 years until he passed away.  In the winter it was plowing and hauling logs to the house, in the spring it aerated,  fall it mulched, summer it mowed.   The C-81 always remained at his house and in my family.

The most interesting part (or at least interesting to me) is that for the last 39 years, this mower has been in-service without missing one season.  It has never been out of commission.   To this day, we have it picked up for service every year and it is still running on its original 8hp Kohler Engine and cuts just over an acre of lawn.  The only major replacements were pulley bearings for the blade deck and a starter motor.   It is ultra-quiet and never strains while performing its tasks. So, when you look at the picture,  you probably see a beat up old machine, but I can assure you that is a tried-and-true Wheel Horse used year-round for nearly 4 decades and maintained as best we thought possible.  It’s a testament to a reliable and powerful brand. 

That said,  I have decided to lessen the workload on this machine and perhaps get another Wheel Horse as a tribute to my Pop.    The main issue is that the cutting deck on this machine is between 32-34” (I believe) and it takes a long time to cut the lawn.  (although I enjoy the peaceful feeling of doing it, it’s not conducive with my day job).   The secondary issue is that this is a rear-discharge deck.  I’d like to somehow bag the clippings for most of my cuts in order to feed my mulch/compost pile.   I’m open for suggestions as to what model would be best.   I do have some hills (a few steep).  

One final note…

I’d love to crown this C-81 with a new (or comparable) seat.   My goal is to get one as close to original as possible, with the same bolt patterns.  I can provide photos if needed.  Any help would be appreciated.   Again, glad to be a part of this community, and please bear with me as I get used to navigating this site.   

Thanks for reading.

Wheel Horse2.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:It's great to hear of Horses that are pasted down through family, and they just keep making memories.

Others will be along with some seat recommendations. The C-Series were and are great machines and will run the following decks  C-120 42" deck maybe stretching to 48" if well groomed. C-140 48" deck, C160, 48" deck.  The C series are great machines and have less safety switches compared to the 300, 400 and 500 Series. But being older can be a little harder to find in good condition, very dependent on where you live.  The 300, 400, 500 series are also very good machines, THe later year models had more safety switches, indicator lights, etc which add a possibility of an electrical problem.

300 Series 312, 314, 315 42 to 48" deck

400 Series 417,418 42 or 48 deck

500 Series 42,48 or 60" deck

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

MarkS

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

welcome-wagon-clipart-1_jpg.gif.a3606afc22e09b9a39bfca9d36c11952.gif5b3fc1b75849c_righthorse2.png.8f99f6834f564046794303c133e9015b.png

• Like 1

CasualObserver

:WRS: Sounds like you have a nice machine with some long family heritage with it. 

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS: That is a great looking survivor that you have. :handgestures-thumbupright: I really like the history with it.

• Like 1

Sparky

:WRS:

Thats a great looking C-81 with a great story! 

I’m going to suggest you find a 312 or 314 with a Kohler Magnum single cylinder. Great motors, easy to maintain, huge muffler=quiet, easy to find for sale and many with low hours. The 12 or 14hp will easily spin a 42” deck and possibly a 48”er.

• Like 1

WHX??

For replacement seats there is always Tractor Supply or many online outlets. Most will be made for universal fitment. 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@Ritter :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

Daddy Don

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

953 nut

Fine looking tractor with a great back story. Many of us have little or no history on our :wh: so it is great to see a third generation owner join the site.

:text-coolphotos:

• Like 2

Ritter

Wow.   What an awesome welcome.  I appreciate the feedback, and a shout out particularly to Sparky for the suggesting a 312 or 314 with the Kohler Magnum engine.  Looking forward to spec’ing these out. 

I’m still committed to keeping my Grandfather’s C-81 looking nice and want to get that seat for it.   I’d appreciate any suggestions/guidelines where to post my request and pics of the seat bolt patterns.  Do members typically do this under the ‘Wanted’ section?

Best, 

- Ron

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ron,a great story and a fine picture. The best part is your history of that horse. Someone will chime in on a replacent seat and the wheel horse wanted section is a good place to start. Glad you joined us. I see a few more in your future, its addicting. Ask us. :lol:

:text-welcomeconfetti:.    :wh:.    :text-welcomeconfetti:

Glenn

• Like 1

rjg854

Hello and :WRS:  use the search feature and type in tractor seat, you should come up with a few threads on that topic. 

• Like 1

Sparky
6 hours ago, Ritter said:

I’d appreciate any suggestions/guidelines where to post my request and pics of the seat bolt patterns.  Do members typically do this under the ‘Wanted’ section?

Best, 

- Ron

Here the latest seat thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/76047-replacement-seat/

• Excellent 2

Ritter

Thanks again!  Just ordered seat.  I’ll post some before/after pictures and let you know how the installation went.  

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ritter

Hard at work as usual. 

I just  ordered seat.  I’ll post some before/after pictures and let you know how the installation went.  

704D1B62-803D-4F26-8D96-F5F0685DE021.jpeg

• Like 1

jay bee

:WRS: Nice story and history of the :wh:.  You have a great horse there!!!  Can't wait to see the new seat pictures.

• Excellent 1