Bucko

Gas fuel bowl shut off

Bucko

Is there a replacement for the small rubber O-ring (??) or rubber "whatever" that is used for the fuel shut off on the bowl? If I screw the shut off all the way in, no fuel leaks out, but when I turn it counter clockwise to allow fuel to the carb bowl, it seaps at that shut off screw. Removing it and looking inside it, I can see it has a black, what I assume to be rubber type seal. Is this available?

Mike'sHorseBarn

For what a new bowl assembly costs anymore, i just replace the whole thing.

Mike

ol550

Might see if your local parts store sells Prime Line.  Replacement bowl gasket 7-04531  is what I have been using.

formariz
14 hours ago, Bucko said:

Is there a replacement for the small rubber O-ring (??) or rubber "whatever" that is used for the fuel shut off on the bowl? If I screw the shut off all the way in, no fuel leaks out, but when I turn it counter clockwise to allow fuel to the carb bowl, it seaps at that shut off screw. Removing it and looking inside it, I can see it has a black, what I assume to be rubber type seal. Is this available?

You may find that tiny O ring at a local hardware or auto parts store. Fuel sediment bowls are great because they will separate water from fuel leaving water at bottom of bowl to be drained, however they are finicky devices and in my experience one is better off not using them as a fuel shut off valve since eventually they will start leaking there. You should install a separate shutoff for that purpose along with an inline fuel filter. If you have the original correct carburetor, the Walbro LMG 157, you will want to keep all contaminants possible in the fuel from it. That goes for any carburetor, however the Walbros are very sensitive to any dirt or varnish buildup, and as you probably know by now not an easy thing to get to if one needs to remove it in order to clean it. Fuel stabilizer in tank  if it sits for periods of time and shut off fuel and run carburetor dry . A couple of caps of Sea-foam in fuel with each filling also helps keep carb clean. I have now used mine for over 10 years religiously following those methods and it runs and starts perfectly each time without ever having to be  cleaned.

As for the sediment bowl, which occasionally also needs to be drained and cleaned, I found that the easiest thing to do is to have two of them, and when cleaning is due just replace it with the clean one. Then you can clean the one removed without any down time, and each time that happens I replace gaskets and rings on them so I never have any surprise leaks with them.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

Bucko

I've not been able to find a small enough o-ring for this sediment bowl/shut off valve, so it may have to come off, and get replaced with a simple shut off valve. too bad, as its a neat original brass part of this wheel horse. I'll keep looking for something though.