reelmower

Wheel Horse 417A with at the least one blown head gasket

reelmower

I recently acquired a Wheel Horse 417A. I could be a good parts tractor or maybe refurbish? Problem is that the tractor has at least a blown head gasket. I hear no knocking when the engine is running. I cleaned the tractor up some, and see the leaking smoking oil. I'm new to this game, so I want to get opinions on my options. I determined the tractor has a KT-17 Series II engine. I have no idea if the engine was maintained or previously rebuilt. The tractor has 1300 hours on the dial. 

If I just need to replace the blown head gaskets, I guess I won't know that until I see the cylinders? I will try to see for myself, instead of dropping any cash for someone else to check out. If the engine needs to be rebuilt, is it worth it? 

If I was going to replace the engine, I believe I would want to go with a single cylinder Kohler, like from a late 1970's classic Wheel Horse. Does anyone have info on if a 12 or 16 HP Kohler will swap out without any issues, provided I can locate a replacement engine. I'd probably have to buy another project Wheel Horse tractor to get the engine. If that is the case, it may be that the 417A Wheel Horse becomes my parts tractor? But, If I could find a replacement engine by itself, all else works on this tractor.

I'm interested in owning a working classic Wheel Horse for general yard and garden projects.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@reelmower :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Check the head gasket 1st and evaluate from there. Engines you mentioned should swap out easily....maybe a different key switch as some engines are magneto and some battery ignition.

May folks here "repower" to keep their horses working.

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

If the engine you transplant comes from a :wh: it should bolt right up, the oil pan is tapped from the bottom for the blots on the right hand side. The Series 1 K twins will work well as long as they are on flat land and properly maintained. If all it needs is a head gasket you are going to love the power it offers.

Please feel free to post your questions here as you go along. Hate to see anyone not ask and spend money on things that won't work for them.

• Like 2

reelmower

Thanks .. KC9KAS and 953 nut for the good advice. I'm not in any hurry .. which is good. I will take a look at the top of the pistons and evaluate. I'll probably be checking Craigslist in the Charlotte, NC area for Wheel Horses to see what comes around. You never know that might follow me home? I am sure I will have plenty of questions. It is good to know there are nice folks out there .. willing to help newbies out.

• Like 1

The Gman

Definitely worth the effort. I did a complete rebuild on a 17 series 2 and put it in my 312-8 and it's now my daily driver. You remove the mounting bolts, turn the engine 90 deg. and get at both cylinders very easily. While your at it lap the valves. Access to the springs are from the top.

And.......... if you find the con rods/cylinders are good you can freshen them up by removing the cylinders (jugs), hone them and install new rings. All with the engine still on the chasiss.

Second largest? Engine in a horse other than the D series

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I thought the P-220 Onan in my 520 sounded like a beast....and it is.         But then I bought a 417 roller and when I got that Twin Kohler to fire up, I was amazed at the power and sound.

I'm working on my second 417 roller now and hope it sounds as good as the first one.

My only complaint with the twins ... Onan and Kohler is the amount of heat they produce.   I only use them for winter chores, and they have the stuff to crank a blower and throw plenty of heat to keep a cab 35 degrees above outside temp.

I think half the fuel they guzzle is turned into heat instead of HP.

Sorry for the rambling, but I would try to save the 17 twin if possible.

BTW, :text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

• Like 2

c-series don

I have a two-stage snowblower on a 417-A and love it. It's my dedicated snowblower tractor, with cab, lights and heat. Ed is right about the heat. I tapped into the shrouds that cover the cooling fins and ran some 1/2" heater hose into the cab, then to a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe with 1/8" holes drilled 1" apart. That pipe is just below the windshield and it helps with defrosting.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

roadapples

Would like to see that setup up close......

reelmower

It is encouraging to hear the good reports on the 417A and the series 2 Kohler twin. Great looking tractors .. c-series don. Thanks for info Gman .. that I can work on and the engine and it stays on chassis. Ed .. I had the 417A running several times. I also have some dry rot tires .. and a dead battery .. so I have work to do .. before I can hear it run again. But .. believe it is a nice project .. and it will keep me interested.