stevasaurus

Salmon Fishing Lake Michigan

Stormin

Carol says send her one over. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Sparky

That's awesome Steve! I'm on vacation next week and Im dragging my boat with me...hope to catch something pic worthy.

• Like 2

wh500special

Jealous!

Nice catch.  I have got to do that sometime.

Looks like a nice little 8 or 10 horse Honda kicker on there.  What kind of speed do you run for those fish when trolling and how far down the water column is typical?

Steve

• Like 1

squonk

Love the hat!

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Beautiful pics and fish Steve. Mark and I were on Erie yesterday but got a late start and it blew up as usual and got real sloppy. He managed to put a few in the box though.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
17 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Headed out at 4:00 AM today.  Got up to North Point Marina and on the water around 5:30.  This is out in 90 feet of water...about 5 miles out.  Ray is setting up the lines.

Nice pictures, Steve. That must be PRETTY DEEP WATER for an ex-Navy sailor.  :ROTF:

• Like 3

stevasaurus

We set the lines up at 90' and kept trolling out and circling back when one hit.  We ended up in 170' of water...about 8 or 9 miles out from shore.  The kicker is a 10 hsp 4 stroke Honda.  Gives us great mileage out there all day.  Trolling speed is usually about 1 1/2 mph...we watch the dodger in the water to determine the speed that the dodger works the best.  Steve, we were fishing at different depths, but all of the coho hit around 30' down.  While we had some different baits on, the cohos were all caught on rainbow flies with red dodgers.  The king hit this old bait I have that we trolled well behind a yellow bird on the surface.  I still feel like I am out there.  :occasion-xmas:

Here is that old bait...it has caught a lot of big fish.  :)

DSCF8989.JPG

DSCF8990.JPG

DSCF8991.JPG

DSCF8992.JPG

• Like 5

Cvans
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Here is that old bait...it has caught a lot of big fish.

How do you keep that thing from getting water logged? Balsa wood soaks up water like crazy. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@Cvans  I don't think it was missing as much of it's cover until yesterday.  That fish hit when we were fighting 2 other fish (just us 2 in the boat).  We had a triple going and all hell broke loose.  We actually set the hook and put the pole back in the rod holder while we fought the other fish.  We would get one in and then grab that rod and fight until the other one was landed.  We both had the ploe in our hands at one time or another.  I ended up with it.  I'll bet we fought that fish for over 20 minutes.  It was crazy how they were fighting yesterday.  I brought the lure into the house, because I need to change the leader on it...it has a few kinks in the line.  That is when I noticed the shape it was in.  I'm thinking it may have enough fish oil in it to keep it from getting water logged.  I am torn between trying to fix it and not touching it at all...if you know what I mean.  This lure has done very well on Lake  Michigan for almost 40 years.  The Steelhead love this lure also.  Any ideas...what do you think??  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Might be time to restore that old tractor.  :greetings-clapyellow:

http://www.realisticwraps.com/

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Thanks Craig...I have to look into this.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Don't forget us, post up your restoration picts here.    bait8.gif

• Like 1

squonk

Mount it on a wall. :) Right next to Billy Bass. :banana-dreads:

• Like 1

Pullstart

I was on the right side of Lake Michigan last week, we heard the cohos and kings were on the left!  Landed 5 lakers and a steel head though...  my favorite packet grillin recipes:

mandarine oranges and sweet baby ray’s bbq sauce with some butter

of course butter and lemon pepper

and my new one, Caribbean jerk wing sauce and some lemon juice ( marinade in a bag for a good day before making the packets up.  That one would be right up @19richie66‘s alley, huh Richie?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

Sounds good to me @pullstart kevin!

• Like 1

wh500special

Thanks for the report.  

Not something I know how to do. 

That plug lug kind of looks like a topwater Bagleys. I think we might have one like it or similar squirreled away.  

If I live long enough to retire and the lakes still have those fish in them I have some plans!

steve 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Steve, all you need to do is give me a call.  We can take you out.  :)

• Like 1

Cvans
22 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Any ideas...what do you think??  :occasion-xmas:

Not messing with it is sure understandable. Lot of good fishing stories in that lure.

How about using something like clear fingernail polish to seal up the open areas so you don't change the appearance?

• Like 2

Achto
18 hours ago, pullstart said:

my favorite packet grillin recipes:

This is one of my favs. Spread ranch dressing on, sprinkle feta cheese, crumpled up bacon & diced tomatoes on top. Set on foil & grill at about 250 degrees with heavy smoke until the meat is flaky.

picYTBprS.jpg.a7e7b6cfc0e185f902c2596a28f8c928.jpg

• Like 2

Achto
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, stevasaurus said:

7 cohos and one king.

Sounds like a great time Steve!! Good eats too, cohos are my favorite fish out of Lake Michigan.

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, Achto said:

This is one of my favs. Spread ranch dressing on, sprinkle feta cheese, crumpled up bacon & diced tomatoes on top. Set on foil & grill at about 250 degrees with heavy smoke until the meat is flaky.

picYTBprS.jpg.a7e7b6cfc0e185f902c2596a28f8c928.jpg

Looks like a deep dish pizza!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

The finished product.  Smoked Salmon and Smoked Catfish.  The brine...about 1 gal water, 3/4 cp kosher salt, 1/2 cp sugar, Tbs each of allspice corns, black pepper corns, dill.  Soaked over night.  Air dried this morning and put on the grill...4 hours with Apple and Hickory wood chips.  :occasion-xmas:  Wish you guys could smell this. 

After 2 hours...

DSCF8993.JPG

This little smoker is excellent...

DSCF8994.JPG

Cooling on the rack after 4 yours. 

DSCF8995.JPG

• Excellent 2

Achto

Looks fantastic Steve!!! Enjoy your meal.

• Like 2

Stormin

If I hadn't just come in from a BBQ we have just had on the village green, that would make me hungry. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3