Volant1006

You can't fix Stupid

Volant1006

Well I feel like a dumb ass.  Just picked up a 312-8 last week.  Mowed the yard for the 1st time and everything was great!  Hopped on it yesterday to move the tractor around my house from my shed to the garage.  The clutch was making a squealing noise and something wasn't right.  All of the sudden smoke started coming up from under the seat and I smelled burning.  Shut the tractor down.  Looked under the seat, smoke was coming from the wheel in the picture.  Drove it around to the front, smoking again.  Looked in the manual, found out this was the drum brake.  Yep my dumb as had the parking break ON!  Full disclosure this was only the 2nd time I was on the tractor but that's no excuse.  The dash board lights don't work but I probably wouldn't have seen them anyways.  My question is, what kinda damage was done.  The brakes still work, but you have to press the pedal to the floor and they feel kinda weak.  Haven't tried them yet on a hill.  Hopefully I didn't ruin the poor thing.  Leave it up to me, tractor's been around for 30 years.  I get it for a week and try to burn the brakes out of it.  I came across basically a brake pad (drum) on ebay (see pic).  But it says you basically just use silicon glue to install?  Has anyone done this before?  Could I adjust the brake to make it tighter?  Would I need a new brake drum?

brake.jpg

ScreenHunter_25 Jul. 03 15.31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

I'm just going to go ahead and admit that I've done the same thing but on a manual transmission. 1974 b80.

Smelled hot and nasty.

Same as you. Wore out the shoe Some.

As far as buying a new one, get a hold of Bob Maynard. One of our redsquare vendors. He sells them.

• Like 2

SPINJIM

If there is still enough of the pad left on the shoe, you might be okay if you adjust the length of the connecting rod for the brake pedal.  There aren't any rivets holding the pad on like there are on car brake pads.   If it burned down to the metal, get one from Bod as Eric suggested.   And don't be embarrassed, we've all done it, and I've done it more than once.

Jim

953 nut

:WRS:

Bob is the Ebay vendor you have copied in your post, but he sells them for less to members here. Have you checked your drive belt to see if it suffered any damage?

• Like 2

KC9KAS
3 hours ago, Volant1006 said:

Just picked up a 312-8 last week

3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm just going to go ahead and admit that I've done the same thing but on a manual transmission. 1974 b80.

A 312-8 is a manual!

Just get a new one from Bob Maynard!

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

A 312-8 is a manual!

Hehehe.....

Ooops

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Wish I could say with all the seat time that I have on various motor vehicles that i’d Never done that—but I can’t! When I first bought GhostRider (314-8), several times at various plow days, I’d lock my parking brake and leave the tractor.  A little while later come back to it and decide to plow a few rounds.  I’d be 150’ down a furrow when I’d smell the smoke:angry-banghead:.  At first I would think I was working the tractor so hard that the drive belt was smoking—NOPE!  Just an idiot driving his machine with the parking brake on—nothing to see here:doh:I haven’t replaced my brake band yet and what I have is still functional.  See how yours works with a little adjustment.  If you don’t like the results, contact Bob!  You have a great little tractor that should serve you well for years to come:handgestures-thumbupright:

clueless
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Wish I could say with all the seat time that I have on various motor vehicles that i’d Never done that—but I can’t! When I first bought GhostRider (314-8), several times at various plow days, I’d lock my parking brake and leave the tractor.  A little while later come back to it and decide to plow a few rounds.  I’d be 150’ down a furrow when I’d smell the smoke:angry-banghead:.  At first I would think I was working the tractor so hard that the drive belt was smoking—NOPE!  Just an idiot driving his machine with the parking brake on—nothing to see here:doh:I haven’t replaced my brake band yet and what I have is still functional.  See how yours works with a little adjustment.  If you don’t like the results, contact Bob!  You have a great little tractor that should serve you well for years to come:handgestures-thumbupright:

A 14hp single cylinder flathead engine pulling a plow 150' with the parking brake on and the only thing hurt was a little brake pad and maybe a little pride. Try that with any garden tractor sold today and see what happens.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tractor boy

Did that on my 312, on the second time driving it also. Thankfully there was pad left so all I had to do was tighten the linkage a tad and the parking brake was better than before! -Tractorboy 

ericj

Not that I EVER forgot to release the parking brake :hide:  But Wheel Horse had a fix for this also, on my 99 314-8 there is a safety switch that will shut the tractor off if you put it in gear with the pedal depress to hard. This works fine untill you are on a hill with the clutch depress and need to put the tractor in gear, then the tractor wants to cut out :angry-nono:

eric j

8ntruck

Newbe question here:  A 314-8 has separate clutch and brake pedals?  My 14 hp no name just has the single clutch/brake pedal.  Idiot proofing maybe? 

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Idiot proofing maybe

Depends on the idiot. :laughing-rolling:

Trina has two 1967 tractors with the single pedal like yours. She prefers that.

I have 2 1974s with the separate pedals. I like being able to use the brake AND leave it in gear to use engine compression to slow down going down hills.

That said, my heavier tractor is the one that quite often tows in excess of 1000 pounds and we live on a mountain side.

• Like 1

adsm08

When I was 16, just got my license, I left a gathering of friends (Young Life meeting) to go to McDonald's. I forgot to release the parking brake, and when the truck wouldn't get past 45 I just gave her more gas.

More recently my dad did the same thing to my Bronco II.

At least I can't do it to my tractor, pressing my clutch in to shift automatically releases my parking brake. :happy-bouncymulticolor:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

RandyLittrell

Yup, done it on my 310! Makes a guy feel dumb!

Randy

Lee1977

If you tighten up the brakes too much then the parking brake won't engage.

Burnerman

To adjust the brake set the parking brake on the first or 2nd detent and then tighten the brake rod nut so the band is gripping the drum tight.

I wore out mine by leaving it on. I used a thick piece of leather as a brake band for awhile. I

8ntruck

Was mowing on my lakefront today with a 14 no name 8 speed.  I decided that I probably need to do some adjusting on the brake and clutch, as there was a large gap between brake and clutch engagement.  Quite uncomfortable drifting backwards downhill TOWARDS the lake in the transition from stop to go!