ebinmaine

Can I Add a charging system to a '76 B & S 8hp?

ebinmaine

I got thinking this morning and I realized I have almost enough parts to build a franken-horse-ish machine.

I have a 1976 model 826 Cub Snowblower my grandfather bought new.

I'm just not ever going to use it as a snowblower.

I haven't had the mind to do anything with it yet but I've thought about changing that engine onto something else several times over the years.

It has an 8 horse Briggs and Stratton that runs very well and was always meticulously maintained.

It has a starter on it that my father's friend added at some point and he would just charge the battery between uses.

That would make a neat power plant for a :wh: ... but !!  It has no charging system.

I'm figuring there was a tractor or something that may have used a similar engine set-up....?

So... How Can I add one?

@PeacemakerJack, I'm bringing you in here because I think you'll be curious to hear the ideas as well.

gwest_ca

You likely can. If you look at the ipl for the engine if may show the components used to include the charging system as a variation to your spec number.

Garry

Achto

There are a couple options.

1. You can find a fly wheel and stator for your engine. If a fly wheel with a ring gear was added to your engine to accommodate electric start you may already have the correct fly wheel, you'd have to check the inside of it to see if there are magnets on it. Most Briggs didn't use a voltage regulator so you shouldn't need that. There is also a slight chance that every thing you need might be in the engine already. Most electric start walk behinds are equipped with an 120v AC powered starter but will have a low amp charging sys on them to run lights. Some times the lights will be AC power at about 14v. With the simple addition of an in line diode you can make it produce DC power to charge the battery.

2. Another option would be to add a pulley to your fly wheel and run a clock wise rotation starter generator. Or find a CCW S/G and mount it on the PTO side of the engine.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

pfrederi

If you do not want lights why bother.  I have electric start on my L107 but no charging system    I use it as a chore tractor used year round several times a week,  only have to charge the batter every month or so....

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, Achto said:

fly wheel with a ring gear was added to your engine to accommodate electric start you may already have the correct fly wheel, you'd have to check the inside of it to see if there are magnets on it. Most Briggs didn't use a voltage regulator so you shouldn't need that. There is also a slight chance that every thing you need might be in the engine already.

Most electric start walk behinds are equipped with an 120v AC powered starter

I'm reasonably sure the engine always had a ring gear.

All I remember them adding was a 12v starter and garbage-rigging a battery and plywood holder with a bracket.

It's some of the best and worst redneck engineering I've seen.

I'll check for the magnets sometime.

12 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If you do not want lights why bother.  I have electric start on my L107 but no charging system    I use it as a chore tractor used year round several times a week,  only have to charge the batter every month or so....

It hadn't even occurred to me until you bring it up but I really don't Need a charging circuit.