Rp.wh

Another rj added to stable

wallfish

Nice find!

Hard to tell in that second pic but it appears they didn't cut the hood. Woo Hoo

• Like 1

Rp.wh
5 minutes ago, wallfish said:

appears they didn't cut the hood. Woo Hoo

No, they didnt cut the hood has the orginail bfg ags on rear all orginail from what i can tell other then motor and the terrible repaint in areas, just dont know if it is a 58 or 59 i had to go snag it guy was going to use it as yard art that probably gives away the asking price ha

Edited by Rp.wh
  • Like 1

Shynon

I think @WHX20 has a spare K91:ychain:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WheelHorse79

Man does that bring back memories.  My Grandfather had a '59 RJ with a white Tecumseh engine transplanted in it just like this one.  I was only about 6 years old when he traded it in on a new Bolens tractor, but I remember that big white Tecumseh engine between my little legs that couldn't reach the pegs.  Thanks for sharing.  I do have an early RJ 58 in honor of my Grandfather's Wheel Horse.

• Excellent 2

wallfish
50 minutes ago, Rp.wh said:

just dont know if it is a 58 or 59

Well they are pretty much the same exact tractor and 1959s even used a RJ-58 ID tag.

The last number in the casting on the trans casing should give you the year it was cast. the number should be on top near the shifter hole. Early 58s did not have any casting numbers.

For informational purposes only, not tractor bashing

Belt guard isn't original which is the big ticket item on those and the most common missing piece. Looks like the heat shield was cut shorter too but...Heat shields weren't original to the early 58 anyway. The fenders and toolbox also became options later on.

Highly doubt those front rims are original but they don't have holes for weights and could've been repaired.(most are rotted away by the calcium) If they don't use spacers to fit the spindles then that's as close as you can get and a sought after item.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rp.wh

Your right on the belt guard and the heat shield it was cut shorter, front rims i think dont use spacers but i would have to check for sure i know they are bfg also but that doesnt mean anything its definitely a project hah and there is no casting number on the transmission  thank you for your information it was much help @wallfish:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Rp.wh

Lane Ranger

EARly 1958's  did not have casting  numbers on the three piece transmissions.  I always thought some of those without casting numbers were taken by Mr. Pond to feedstores, motor shops and other places to establish new dealerships!    Pond would give an RJ to establish a new dealership. He would drive it himself often in a pickup truck. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
12 hours ago, Shynon said:

I think @WHX20 has a spare K91:ychain:

Exactly Tom ...he had a nother score of a old genny with a 91 on it that he wants to use on this RJ but I ain't gonna let him butcher up the nice genny for the motor so he gets the 91 I got. Unless I get them mixed up and he gets yours??? :ychain:

Good info on the RJ, get a pic of the casting numbers if any Ryan. that might just narrow it down.

His 30 clam genny score!! Note the muff...

Is that your wife looking in wondering what you dragged home now??

20180701_172532.jpg.04699752c1c72571b82252e5a0121873.jpg

20180701_172547_jpg_d9c84898c66f6bb3fcf4499525c1f2db.jpg

20180701_172641_jpg_92892c2e909163dbb25692b8c4bbc31e.jpg

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 7

Lane Ranger

Keep that generator as is and it will be worth more than on an RJ!  

026.JPG

027.JPG

My old 4 HP Kohler generator I have since sold.

large_009.JPG.85931b23052bd24f2eccbb3f28d11117.JPG

large_008.JPG.8baddd611ba204882549d1d15f76a4e1.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Rp.wh

@WHX20 yeah my wife was looking at the stuff i brought home i dont know how she felt about it. :D  i never knew generators were or are going to be worth anything it is really neat piece thats for sure

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Thinking you'll find that K-90 has a tapered crank...

on that generator application. 

• Like 1

WHX??
39 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

has a tapered crank

We were discussing that & another reason not to sacrifice the genny...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crank-shaft-Adapter-Taper-to-1-Inch-Generator-Pressure-Washer-Engine-bushing-/132083677591

Pretty pricy piece of metal.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Crazy money for sure...and, I need one too.  

Edited by AMC RULES

dells68

Along with what @wallfish Said, I learned the hood straps and tanks are different on 58 and 59 rjs at the big show.  58's had straps further back along on the hood with the gas tank filler being at the end of the tank and outlet more near center.  59 had the filler more near the center of the tank and the outlet near the end.  I'm  needing a 58 tank for mine.

Wild Bill in VA
22 hours ago, wallfish said:

Well they are pretty much the same exact tractor and 1959s even used a RJ-58 ID tag.

The last number in the casting on the trans casing should give you the year it was cast. the number should be on top near the shifter hole. Early 58s did not have any casting numbers.

For informational purposes only, not tractor bashing

Belt guard isn't original which is the big ticket item on those and the most common missing piece. Looks like the heat shield was cut shorter too but...Heat shields weren't original to the early 58 anyway. The fenders and toolbox also became options later on.

Highly doubt those front rims are original but they don't have holes for weights and could've been repaired.(most are rotted away by the calcium) If they don't use spacers to fit the spindles then that's as close as you can get and a sought after item.

The earliest 1958 model RJ-58 (less then 500) that did not has casting numbers also used the "leather" shift boot (that got replaced by #3577 rubber shift boot ... the longest lasting Wheel Horse part number) and used the wider gear pitch differential  (larger gear teeth spacing).

The rear fender/tool box option known as the FA-58 (FA stood for Fender Assembly and 58 for 1958) came out in late 1958 along with the exhaust shield (#3588) and was an option for the models RJ-58 and Suburban 400.

The RJ-58 and RJ-59 did use the same data decal, the run of 1958 RJ-58 had a run of 20,000 units and the 1959 RJ-59 had a run of 2,500 units. the opnly difference between the two models is the serial number designation .

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

Edited by Wild Bill in VA
  • Excellent 1