FrankenCub

New to Wheel Horse

FrankenCub

I'm new to Wheel Horse, got a fair deal on a 312-8 this week. I have some questions for you pros here, I'm a Cub Cadet junky lol.

I'm not positive of the year, thinking maybe '84-'85? Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture of the serial tag and it's at our other property right now. Has a steel frame, not stamped, so I guess it's before Toro got involved? 12hp Kohler Mag, great engine! It also has a 42" rear discharge deck, rough shape but I like the rear discharge. Got it running yesterday and figured we'd give a test workout, went pretty well. Today got into some damp grass that bound everything up, figured that would happen. The PTO clutch started getting hot from slipping and spit out pieces of the facing so I'm sure it wasn't in great shape, and blew the PTO belt.

Just to get it going again without spending huge cash for top tier belts, where can I get them other than Toro? NAPA maybe?

If you guys know off hand the belt numbers or sizes for the PTO and the 42" rd deck that would be great. Also going to need a PTO clutch disk if you could point me in the right direction.

If I get back over to our other property this weekend I'll get some pictures, she's a tad rough but not bad.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Believe the first Magnum was used in 1987.

Belts are on this page. Click on the picture.

Often Toro's belts are in line with others. Here is one on-line site with prices. About 3 lines for each model.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mower-deck-assemblies/05-42mr04-toro-42-rear-discharge-mower-deck-1987/

Pto clutch

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/21-12k804-312-8-toro-312-8-garden-tractor-1987/pto-clutch-and-control/

Garry

• Like 3

FrankenCub

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check both out. I grabbed a screen shot from the ad if there's any specific differences between years. By next year I will be definitely be looking for another deck locally. This one has been patched and thin, but it'll do for now. It also has the long tensioner bar instead of the triangle type. Another thing I really like is the spindles, they don't have the cartridge bearings so they should be cheap to service. Thankfully they aren't loose anyway.

312-8.jpg

• Like 3

Tractor boy

:WRS: You’ll soon learn that this place is a great forum and filled with loads of information @FrankenCub. You’ll soon learn that with this tractor you’ll be done with your honey do list a lot faster as these tractors make you want to work. And the 313-8’s are very good workers. May I suggest oil changes, (engine and transmission), a new fuel filter and possibly new air filter? Have fun with your new toy, -Tractorboy 

• Like 1

FrankenCub

Thanks @Tractor boy , this one wont effect my honey do list as it's actually honey's tractor :D She's on her own with that list lol. I'm just on the fix-it list for the Wheel Horse lol. Any other honey do list involving a tractor will be the 860 Power Master. She was itching to get on it, just like a kid in a candy store!

I've been buying and using Cub Cadets for the better of 20 years so maintenance on these is pretty much second nature now. Will also ad fuel lines to the list with this one. The tank had some nasty gas in it so I flushed it and the lines real good. A MightyVac works great for these long lines. Thinking I'm also going to replace the fuel pump. Once running it runs fine, but after it sets the pump looses prime and doesn't like to regain it. Simple 5 minute fix.

For a while the wife was wanting a chain store lawn mower, not a chance. This 312 will outlast one of those 500-1, and is much more capable ;)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Great to have you on board.

Nice to see another of us adamant about maintenance.

You'll really like that rig.

I'd like to ad that many of have experienced a very odd phenomenon. You see, horses are herd animals and these tractors seem to multiply.

I started out a couple years ago with a B80 and now soon will have a total of 4 tractors.... Plus a parts pile.

You should order a storage shed soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Retired Wrencher

FrankenCub :WRS: Enjoy your first Wheel Horse. I think you will find them a bit easier to work on than a cub.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

welcome-wagon-clipart-1_jpg.gif.49e1ba242dc54354c25208143c892ce9.gif5b38d8c1e1881_righthorse2.png.771fbba573734f8371266523581bea84.png

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

:text-welcomeconfetti:.  :wh:.  :text-welcomeconfetti:

Good luck with your new machine.

Glenn

• Like 1

MarkS

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@FrankenCub :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Like 1

posifour11
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd like to ad that many of have experienced a very odd phenomenon. You see, horses are herd animals and these tractors seem to multiply.

I started out a couple years ago with a B80 and now soon will have a total of 4 tractors.... Plus a parts pile.

Yup! Double your storage space this year and it might get you through next year. :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FrankenCub
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I feel maintenance has forgotten benefits. It's relaxing time, and the more maintenance I can find to do just drags that time out longer ;)

I have a bare trailer frame from a 14'x60' mobile home that will be used to build a couple work sheds on. Could scrap it but it will make such a good base for sheds.

There's a couple other models that have caught my eye so who knows, I may end up with more. But when the scrap prices went up the scrappers grabbed everything they could get a hold of. The picking is slim in this area now unless your willing to pay a premium most of the time. I paid $200 for this one and feel I got a good deal. I'll definitely be looking for junkers though for a parts source to keep around.

8 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

FrankenCub :WRS: Enjoy your first Wheel Horse. I think you will find them a bit easier to work on than a cub.

The more I'm going over the 312 the more it's growing on me, despite being belt drive. You know, Cubs being shaft drive and belts being used to hold your pants up :text-lol:

I find the Cubs to be very easy to work on so it should be any different with the Horse. Not many differences that really matter other than the Cubs have a heavy cast iron grill and a transmission out of a Farmall Cub, but that just makes them over built. Never had a tranny issue with them. And they both use Kohler engines, my favorite. There's a puller not far from me that has a Chevy 4.3 V-6 in a Cub and the tranny takes the abuse. I think he has aftermarket axle shafts though.

I'd love to have a diesel but after seeing the rarity of a diesel Horse, that won't be happening unless I swap something in one. Would be convenient to use the same fuel supply as my truck.

Once moved over to our new property I will be doing a vigilant search of Craigslist for Wheel Horse goodies ;)

• Like 1

FrankenCub

And a HUGE Thanks for the Welcomes, guys!

• Like 3

lynnmor
1 hour ago, FrankenCub said:

The more I'm going over the 312 the more it's growing on me, despite being belt drive.

When you need to replace that belt, you will have a whole new drive system, unlike buying a bucket full of parts to make it new again. :think:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FrankenCub
33 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

When you need to replace that belt, you will have a whole new drive system, unlike buying a bucket full of parts to make it new again. :think:

To be honest, the only driveline parts I've had to change on the Yellow were a clutch disk and a few spiroll pins. But to be fair, the belt will be a quicker repair.

I'm not knocking Wheel Horse, like I said before I'm a Cub Junkie. I was looking at some pictures here an hour ago and found a couple models I really want to get my hands on to restore. Damn nice looking tractors! Did Wheel Horse ever offer a bigger sized tractor, like what Cub Cadet did with the 982 and Supers? In my quick browsing I haven't seen any, but then again sometimes pictures could be deceiving without another model next to them. If so that's something I'd like to look for.

Edited by FrankenCub
spelling

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, FrankenCub said:

Wheel Horse ever offer a bigger sized tractor,

I'm a 70's B & C series guy so the others can answer better but...

953, 1054

Gt14

C195

The D series which were German (?) Made....

• Thanks 1

dcrage
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

The D series which were German (?) Made....

D-250 was German. The other Ds were domestic is my understanding. 

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: @FrankenCub  We're glad you're here.  

Retired Wrencher
13 hours ago, FrankenCub said:

I feel maintenance has forgotten benefits. It's relaxing time, and the more maintenance I can find to do just drags that time out longer ;)

I have a bare trailer frame from a 14'x60' mobile home that will be used to build a couple work sheds on. Could scrap it but it will make such a good base for sheds.

There's a couple other models that have caught my eye so who knows, I may end up with more. But when the scrap prices went up the scrappers grabbed everything they could get a hold of. The picking is slim in this area now unless your willing to pay a premium most of the time. I paid $200 for this one and feel I got a good deal. I'll definitely be looking for junkers though for a parts source to keep around.

The more I'm going over the 312 the more it's growing on me, despite being belt drive. You know, Cubs being shaft drive and belts being used to hold your pants up :text-lol:

I find the Cubs to be very easy to work on so it should be any different with the Horse. Not many differences that really matter other than the Cubs have a heavy cast iron grill and a transmission out of a Farmall Cub, but that just makes them over built. Never had a tranny issue with them. And they both use Kohler engines, my favorite. There's a puller not far from me that has a Chevy 4.3 V-6 in a Cub and the tranny takes the abuse. I think he has aftermarket axle shafts though.

I'd love to have a diesel but after seeing the rarity of a diesel Horse, that won't be happening unless I swap something in one. Would be convenient to use the same fuel supply as my truck.

Once moved over to our new property I will be doing a vigilant search of Craigslist for Wheel Horse goodies ;)

The only thing I can say about belts is the original [NOS] ones last for decades. I seen it time and time again.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

The only thing I can say about belts is the original [NOS] ones last for decades. I seen it time and time again.

Yep. I'll second that. The one that came out of my honey's 657 just a couple weeks ago was approximately 3 weeks older than dirt. The tractor was driving perfectly fine as far as that somewhat shredded belt was concerned but we're putting a new one in because it would be silly not to.... On a restoration.

• Like 2

FrankenCub
11 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

I have to agree there, I've found the same when using IH belts. The machines I used genuine IH belts on the decks and PTO I never replaced again. Those I used generic belts lasted a best of a couple years.

1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Yep. I'll second that. The one that came out of my honey's 657 just a couple weeks ago was approximately 3 weeks older than dirt. The tractor was driving perfectly fine as far as that somewhat shredded belt was concerned but we're putting a new one in because it would be silly not to.... On a restoration.

The PTO belt on my honey's 312 was OEM, shredded, but still in circular shape lol. The spindle belt I'm not sure of, haven't taken it off yet. It's getting replaced only because it's stretched bad. Otherwise looks good still. I believe it's sat idle for quite a few years which I don't believe is good for belts.

I'd order NOS belts, after seeing the prices were comparable to NAPA after shipping, but we're in a need it now situation. My local NAPA has them in stock. If we get a year out of them, fine, we'll be in a situation to put NOS on them next time. 

On a side note, there's a couple models I think I'm going to print off pictures of. I have a friend who owns a scrap yard, I'll drop the pictures off to him and tell him to call me ASAP if any of those models come in :D You wouldn't believe some of the gold nuggets he takes in for scrap.