nnero

Potential 314-H owner, need some help

nnero

Hello,

I may be acquiring a 314-h from my neighbor. It needs a little TLC mostly with the wiring. It will only start with a jump pack. It’s not charging and no lights or guages work. From from quick searches here I assume it’s something to due with the fuse block/relays. I have not had time to dig into it yet. My biggest question is concerns the indicator (idiot light) circuit board. It’s gone. The harness is there but the board and lights are MIA. Will the tractor function normally without it (headlights, guages etc) once the fuse situation is sorted out?

i haven’t had a chance to troubleshoot anything yet besides printing off a manual and some wiring diagrams so sorry if this seems premature. I’m just trying to see what the tractor needs so I can make an offer or leave it. It runs and drives fine once started. I currently have a Cub Cadet 107 but this has quite a bit more stuff on it haha. I will update with pics and more info as I can. Thanks!

Nate

BA3C9EB0-93B1-4F73-8E0A-7BF36CED6AE0.jpeg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Everything will work fine without the circuit board.

Did you get the detailed wiring diagrams? Each circuit has it's own diagram.

You also have a low oil circuit that prevents the starter from working. There are special instructions for removing the switch. Ask for them before you attempt to remove the switch as it is easily broken.

Garry

• Like 3

Tractor boy

:WRS:  As Garry said check the oil. It might be a cheap fix. And the circuit board is not working with a running tractor is common. And please post more pics. -Tractorboy 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Just curious,  where do you attach the jump pack to make it run?

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:

nnero

Thanks! I’ll check all that out. Electrical is not my thing but I feel like this is a good opportunity to learn. The jump pack was just hooked to the battery. That is kinda weird isn’t it? I’m just going by what my neighbor said. He said that it wouldn’t start without a jump pack and the circuit board was gone and it wasn’t charging. But I’ll take the battery out and make sure it’s fully charged as well. I’ll try to get some pics this evening. Thanks again!

nnero

Haven’t had a chance to do anything but charge the battery. The seat safety switch has been disconnected.  Here’s some pics...

6117D6F2-80F1-4B5E-A75B-D16BAAA70992.jpeg

7E611811-125B-4E23-B641-556313550757.jpeg

1869C07E-473E-471F-AE6F-32A7D18B92BF.jpeg

Edited by nnero
  • Excellent 1

nnero

5BB5470D-7ACD-4F2A-BEA8-D7B41F7E0546.jpeg

2A1CB53B-99DB-48C2-AC0B-7232EF071FAF.jpeg

• Like 1

nnero

Starts on it’s own fine with a different battery and says it’s putting out 13.6v. Ampmeter and hour meter dont seem to be working. Definitely needs some carb work. I added some fresh gas with startron but couldn’t tell how much was in the tank. Also the deck only raises up on one side. Everything seems to be in place? Maybe things are just sticky? The deck needs some tlc as well

F13B0B58-4AAD-45E1-BF7D-D35674D2EC51.jpeg

2922CD6E-25C6-4EAD-AE67-6360FCB66181.jpeg

6842D8BE-8FDB-4D69-AB74-96C11239118F.jpeg

• Like 1

nnero

Just noticed that this bracket on the deck hits against the brake rod. This is the side that won’t raise properly. I know this deck isn’t original to this particular tractor. Is something bent or is there and issue with the compatibility of the deck and tractor? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I’ve only ever used my cub or an ingersoll. Thanks

1FD777CB-3698-4FFD-AD40-E361BA7EFECD.jpeg

WVHillbilly520H
12 minutes ago, nnero said:

Just noticed that this bracket on the deck hits against the brake rod. This is the side that won’t raise properly. I know this deck isn’t original to this particular tractor. Is something bent or is there and issue with the compatibility of the deck and tractor? Sorry if these are dumb questions. I’ve only ever used my cub or an ingersoll. Thanks

1FD777CB-3698-4FFD-AD40-E361BA7EFECD.jpeg

Should look more like this...i believe who ever changed the deck/lift linkage put it on backwards.

Screenshot_20180703-202113.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nnero

Doh! You are right! I need to pull the deck of anyways. Thanks!

The fuse block has a contact missing for the fuse closest to the battery. So I should probably just replace the whole thing. Would this work?

http://store.wheelhorsestables.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=94

The tires appear to be like new and the rears are loaded with washer fluid. 

Edited by nnero
Spelling

Tractor boy

Is it just me or is that belt partway off the pulley? Maybe it slipped off or my eyes are playing tricks on me.  I would get some covers for those belts as say something fell in there or your leg went in there things could get very nasty very fast. I would check the connections on those gauges. 

-Tractorboy 

• Like 1

nnero
4 minutes ago, Tractor boy said:

Is it just me or is that belt partway off the pulley? Maybe it slipped off or my eyes are playing tricks on me.  I would get some covers for those belts as say something fell in there or your leg went in there things could get very nasty very fast. I would check the connections on those gauges. 

-Tractorboy 

It does look that doesn’t it? I haven’t ran the deck yet. Wasn’t going to until after I pull it out and check things over better. There’s no serial number on deck so I need to measure it for the width. 

lynnmor

The fuse block probably never had the fourth fuse, check the wiring diagram.  One source of a fuse block is here: Dorman 85668

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nnero

I worded that poorly haha. It’s one of the slots that has a fuse that’s messed up. That may actually be easier since i wouldn’t have to splice the wires an it’s cheaper. I never thought of rock auto. I have to order stuff from them anyways. I already found this link:

Thanks

Edited by nnero

WVHillbilly520H
11 hours ago, nnero said:

It does look that doesn’t it? I haven’t ran the deck yet. Wasn’t going to until after I pull it out and check things over better. There’s no serial number on deck so I need to measure it for the width. 

See here in your pic, the gauge wheel height selector is on the right side which equals 42" side discharge while if it's on the left side it's a 48" side discharge, those 2 being the most common then there's rear discharge and a 60" side discharge for the 520s and C195, Jeff.

Screenshot_20180704-095058.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nnero

Ok thanks that helps! I would like to eventually find a 48” deck. The current one definitely needs some tlc. Would this run a 48” deck ok?

So the wiring diagram shows the 314 only having two fuses. Someone must have stuck one in  an empty slot. I changed the 15 and now have lights and guages! I’ll still replace the fuse block. 

Need to clean/adjust carb then i should be able to run it for a while and change engine oil. I need to find the Kohler manual for carb adjustment. It’s not in the WH manual. Then I’ll clean/degrease everything I can. I also pulled the deck out so I can mess with it easier. Thanks!

• Like 1

chip61

I have a 314-8 with a 48" deck it handles it no problem, and some of the grass I cut is pretty tall and thick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nnero

Did all 42” decks have 3 rollers across the front? I can’t tell if the brackets have been taken off or not. Thanks

cleat

All I have ever seen have had 3 rollers.

ericj

I think some of the older decks only had one roller

eric j 

nnero

Hmmm, just looking at this deck it appears to be older. It’s had some homemade repairs done. It will take a little work and $$ to make it presentable. Needs new rollers, wheels, some hardware, maybe idler pulley. Blade were new. 

Ed Kennell
7 hours ago, ericj said:

I think some of the older decks only had one roller

The old style 42"  only had one front roller.   I added one more to each side to stop the scalping.

IMG_7610.JPG.eaa0d7a683db32d5f8eac4e13d57b92f.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nnero

Gonna clean the carb and change engine oil. Got a used idiot light circuit board. It works but needs a little repair. Also picked up this nice 48” deck. It’ll be nice having a bigger deck and this one doesn’t need anything. First mowing should be this week hopefully!

15B4A546-1A2E-4663-B94D-3C76EA0A848A.jpeg

Edited by nnero
  • Excellent 3

Tractor boy
41 minutes ago, nnero said:

Gonna clean the carb and change engine oil. Got a used idiot light circuit board. It works but needs a little repair. Also picked up this nice 48” deck. It’ll be nice having a bigger deck and this one doesn’t need anything. First mowing should be this week hopefully!

15B4A546-1A2E-4663-B94D-3C76EA0A848A.jpeg

That board must of cost you a pretty penny.