Busman

Front tire replacement.

Busman

I've got an 85 314H and an 81 c125. I punctured a tube in onefront tire and I cannot get the front tire off. I even bent the wheel trying. Do y'all have any advice. At this point I will probably just replace the tire but I could use some help on the best way to proceed. 

IMG_20180629_192309.jpg

IMG_20180408_150909.jpg

doc724

The easiest way is to go to Harbor Freight where you can buy a small tire changer for under $40.  There is a learning curve to using it but once you have it mastered, there is no better way.  Indispensable if you have horses.  If you do not want to spend the $40, make a semi circle out of wood to match the tire rim diameter.  Put it onto the tire and then drive over the wood with your car.  That will break the bead.  You still need to get the old tire off and you will need tire spoons for that.   My advise, spend the $40

• Like 3

squonk

I changed tires for 25 yrs. I take them down to the tire shop down the street. Dismount & mount $10 a tire. You asked for the easiest way.:)

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

I would imagine the beads of that stiff old tire are welded to the rim with rust and the Mini-Tire Changer will kick your butt followed by a trip to the tire shop. Skip a step and just take it to the shop, if you buy the tire there they may not charge to mount it. Call around to find a good deal.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

The HF mini tire changer is ok as long as the tire has not been on the rim for ever. Bent the rod in the mini tire trying to break a bead. If you plan changing all your tires , buy the floor model and the spoons. HF will probably have a 25 % off coupon for the 4th.

• Like 2

Busman

Thanks guys. I've got the bead broken on both sides. Looks like in gonna take a ride to the tire shop. 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk
9 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The HF mini tire changer is ok as long as the tire has not been on the rim for ever. Bent the rod in the mini tire trying to break a bead. If you plan changing all your tires , buy the floor model and the spoons. HF will probably have a 25 % off coupon for the 4th.

There used to be an Old Country Buffet next to my closest HF but they closed. :(

Now if I go to HF we have to go across the street to Olive Garden. :) I do have the mini changer. If I have shot tires that I'm junking I'll use it but if they are really stuck I give up. No sense getting all worn out over a few bucks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pollack Pete

Those front tires are a bear to change.The 8 inch are bad.The 6 inch are worse.I change my own,but swear all the while.If you don't plan on doing too many tire changes,do like the others have said.Take them to a shop.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
11 hours ago, squonk said:

I changed tires for 25 yrs. I take them down to the tire shop down the street. Dismount & mount $10 a tire. You asked for the easiest way.:)

Mike you are lucky to have that. I can only get the bead broke around here. A lot stations will mot touch them. I guess it pays to live in the country.

Jerry77

Can't get any tires under 13 inch worked on here in Bedford....sawzall is your friend....and a sharp chisel for the wires running around the rim...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

JoeM

If you got the beads broke your golden. After breaking the beads, I take a utility razor knife and cut just above the bead (about an inch) and remove the tread part of the tire. Then I lube up those remaining bead rings with soapy dishwashing mix and roll the beads up off the rim, keeping the part of the bead ring on the rim in the center groove while popping the other side up off the rim. 

• Like 1

squonk
1 hour ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Mike you are lucky to have that. I can only get the bead broke around here. A lot stations will mot touch them. I guess it pays to live in the country.

It's an actual tire store. They sell farm tires as well. They also sell GT tires so they have no reason not to touch them

• Like 1

Tankman
45 minutes ago, Jerry77 said:

Can't get any tires under 13 inch worked on here in Bedford....sawzall is your friend....and a sharp chisel for the wires running around the rim...:twocents-02cents:

Agree 100% with Jerry!  Before reading his post, was going to mention SAWZALL.

Been there, done that. Works fine. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ol550

I have been using a cutoff tool for years.  First cut  the sidewalls and remove the bulk of the tire and sometimes tube.  Use the cutoff wheel at an angle to cut the steel in the bead.  Then a little prying and the beads are off and no bent rim,

shallowwatersailor

My HF Mini Tire Changer went to scrap. It only works if the tires haven't been on the rim forever.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

pfrederi

I break the bead first using the purple slide hammer or the big gray bead breaker.  Then the HF small machine for front wheels and their regular size one for back wheels.  have had both of them for years.  Bent them a bit before I got serious bead breakers.  18 WHs 3 Tractors and two mil vehicles I have had tires of all ages.  Have never gone to tire place...

IMG_0256.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 3

Tankman

Tire place gave me a price, $20 each. 8” front tires.

No way!

Went home, Sawzall. Easy. :handgestures-thumbupright: