dells68

Big Show rj build

CasualObserver
On 6/28/2018 at 10:59 PM, dells68 said:

F64332FF-4B17-434C-B96B-9842D3FD67F2.jpeg

On 6/30/2018 at 3:33 PM, wallfish said:

02 = Feb

8 = 1958

Not that it really matters... but weren't the months of these casting date codes designated by letters?   @dells68  is that possibly a D2-8?  I'm thinking the months ran A-M (skipping I) which I think would translate to April 2, 1958. But like I said... in the grand scheme of things, February or April.... it doesn't really matter. Just commenting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks Jason @CasualObserver.  I wasn't really sure what it said, I knew the hood was a 58 hood, I'm just glad that the trans is a match. Makes me feel like the tractor hasn't been mismatched.  Saw a tractor at the show for a screaming deal $275.  It was a little mismatched - rj hood, suburban belt guard, rj axle.  Still, was very nicely done.  I just like the idea of all parts matching.

dells68

I've only had a few minutes to work on the rj the last few days.  I coated the belt cover and exhaust shield that I got from Matt Nace with my salt, peroxide, vinegar, water mixture and let them set for a few days.  Finish turned out pretty good.  Tonight I dusted red oxide primer, oil rubbed bronze, black, and colonial red paint on the areas that didn't show a lot of rust.  I'm gonna sand them a little to blend the colors better and re shoot with rust solution on any shiny metal to give them an aged look to match the rest of the tractor.  May be a few days before I get to work again as our barn and yards need my attention.

E6C8C714-3905-4AFE-AAB7-32D3A74B0C8A.jpeg

AE4DAFDD-96C9-4718-A7FC-D090C9A7BD8C.jpeg

17DF124A-54AB-482A-89F5-C3FB0B2EE09C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine

Nice work on that weathering Dell.

• Thanks 1

953 nut
14 hours ago, dells68 said:

any shiny metal to give them an aged look to match the rest of the tractor.

A little splash of Muriatic Acid and rinse off with water, any uncoated areas will flash rust within an hour.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

I've always been afraid of muratic acid.  I can't remember the exact mixture I used, but the vinegar, peroxide, and salt start turning the metal as soon as applied.  It just takes longer to get good coverage of the rust.  I like playing to see what effects I can get.

953 nut
16 hours ago, dells68 said:

always been afraid of muratic acid.

You do want to be upwind and use it sparingly. 

• Like 1

Sarge

Absolutely always wear goggles with muriatic acid, never just safety glasses. One good splash to an eye and it's done for good. Use it a lot in my work, so I'm used to it - but just some simple precautions will go a long way. Do not wear any clothes/shoes you're not willing to throw away and I'd advise rinsing them in clean water outside when you're done - it will prevent the acid from slowly eating holes from small drops of the stuff that always seems to fly everywhere.  No matter what, always have a garden hose handy in case of any accidental splashes - without it you may regret it.

Sarge

• Like 2

Pullstart

Hey Dell, that hood cleaned up pretty good!  Do you have pics of the barn raising?  Moving the workshop or for another purpose?

• Like 1

953 nut
On 7/9/2018 at 9:33 AM, Sarge said:

Do not wear any clothes/shoes you're not willing to throw away

When I was pulling maintenance on Reverse Osmosis units I would put on an old wool suit and rubber boots. Acid didn't bother them and I was the best dressed man on the farm.     :ychain:

• Like 1

dells68
19 hours ago, pullstart said:

Hey Dell, that hood cleaned up pretty good!  Do you have pics of the barn raising?  Moving the workshop or for another purpose?

Thanks Kevin.  Sadly the new machine shed is a result if our 100+ year old barn moving toward collapse. It's  going to be 50x18. I do think the horses may get their own 10x14 stall in it though.  Slow process with just Dad and I working on it.  I wanted to finish the stripping on the roof for our tin today, but we got a pretty big storm yesterday=lots of mud.  Hope to have the roof back on before school starts back up🤞.

55AC85C7-5DA7-4516-85AB-EEB1A12222EE.jpeg

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: The water must rip through there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: The water must rip through there. 

Craig that's one o them free breethin roofs

• Haha 3

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  or...

free flowing embankment. 

• Like 2

dells68

Guttering after tin will be a must!  Always learned that you put a barn on a piece of land you can't use for a field!  Beats the snot out of the barn that's falling right in the middle of a field😂.

• Like 2

dells68

Well, I pulled the transmission apart tonight and the news isn't so good!  It was full of water and lots of sludge.  Thankfully the bearings seem fine.  When I washed the gears down, I found a lot of wear on two of the gears (don't know their technical names) I believe the bull gear and the one that drives it.  One tooth is chipped on the bull gear and the drive gear is roughed up pretty good.  I've  got a suburban trans that I could pull apart for parts.  Any chance the bull and drive gears from it would match?  It's the type with needle bearings on one of the shafts.  Or should I try to build up the one broken tooth by welding?   Any help appreciated.

CBE2000E-F5E3-41D7-BFC1-444895642625.jpeg

5357DEED-8CAB-4CA5-BA54-587A366F2DD5.jpeg

3EFE669B-E94C-4EBF-B68D-24D9E7CFD780.jpeg

• Like 2

stevebo

I would just clean the parts up the best you can and maybe weld up that one tooth. I think you will be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Mig weld  up that tooth and file it down.  the rest will work, might be a touch noisy.  i have a tranny with a lot of the curve worn/rusted off the teath and it works, but its sounds like a coffe grinder.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:...unless you plan on competition pulling with it. :lol: I got a few look worse than that but fine for just putts around the ranch or a slow parade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks guys.  It was a little disheartening to open it up and find the chipped tooth.  It seems to turn fine in all gears, or did when it was together.  I only plan on riding it around at Dad's for fun.  It's  not going to be a high speed machine or worker.  I may give it a try to build up the tooth a little in the morning then start reassembly.  This is the first time in days that I've  even had a chance to touch it.  Free time is slim right now.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

sounds like a coffe grinder

IMG_20180725_041818064.jpg.5122afda2c186648bfd56979ec222f6c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

I don't see anything wrong with your transmission, except that chipped tooth.  Weld it up and grind or file it.  :)

The parts in your 1960's trans could be used in your RJ trans...  Here is the deal...if you want to change the bull gear/differential housing, you probably have the newer model...which means that you will have to change the mushroom gear also.  They are pairs.  Also, The service bulletin says that if you use a mushroom gear from a trans that has the needle bearing on the brake shaft, you need to put four #1197 shims under the mushroom gear on the left side of the trans. 

The other gears in the 60's trans are also interchangeable in your RJ trans.  The service bulletin also talks about the number of teeth on the inside of the 2 fork gears and the pinion that goes on the end of the spline shaft.  Early ones have 10 teeth...later models have 11 teeth.  If both have the same number of teeth, any of it is changeable with it's counter part.  If you have one set with 10 teeth and the other has 11, you can change it, but you need to change the whole set (spline shaft, both fork gears and that pinion.  Know this...if your RJ trans has gears with 10 teeth, then that horse is Serial Number 11627 or less in 1958.  It would follow that, if your trans has 11 teeth it is Serial Number 11628 or later in 1958.  :occasion-xmas:

As far as a noisy trans, I would add a pint of Lucas Oil additive with the 90 wt when you put it back together.  :)

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks @stevasaurus!  Lots of good info there!  I've felt worn out today, so I didn't get to the shop.  I hope to tomorrow night.  I spent the morning looking at some of your YouTube videos and for anyone who hasn't shame on you!!!  I'll post an update as I get back to the tranny.  The help and encouragement the community here gives means more than you guys know.  That's one of the reasons I stay wheel horse loyal!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

If you really want to see what is possible with these little trannys...look through this thread.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Keep at it Dell, I have zero knowledge of that transmission, so I can only give you encouragement but no sound advice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3