Volant1006

Volant1006

Hello y'all. Just picked this litte gem up this week.  My 1st Wheel Horse & my first lawn tractor!  1988 312-8, got it with a snow blade.  The hours were kinda high (3100) but hopefully I made a good choice.  Used it to cut the  grass (0.5 acres) for the 1st time today.  Mowed great, didn't miss a beat.  Still plan on going through the whole thing chage fluids, filters, check blads, etc. but so far I love it  

Capture.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG

Edited by Volant1006
  • Like 4

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum. That one has been well cared for. Click on the pictures

Garry

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Achto

:WRS: Looks like a very clean tractor for having that many hours.:handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

welcomewagon.gif.dbb7d849ab040b9c58d930d75848c367.gif5b36095eebe74_righthorse2.png.df0ef9a2cc0818d4ad8431ed1abd4565.png

• Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Volant1006 said:

hours were kinda high (3100) but hopefully I made a good choice

:WRS:

:text-coolphotos:              You made an excellent choice! The 312-8 is a great worker and will serve you well. If the previous owner went off and left the key on a few times the hour meter may have been running while the tractor was parked, it appears to be a well cared for machine so that is my guess.

Be sure to use ethanol free gas to prevent fuel system problems in the future.  http://www.buyrealgas.com/Pennsylvania.html

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

The 312-8 is a great working machine well up to most tasks that you could throw at it.  You made a wise decision to buck the trend of going to a box store, getting dazzled by the new paint and shiny lighting, and promises of trouble free years of cutting on a brand new “throw away” tractor.  If continued care is part of your ‘new’ tractors future, it will easily be working for another 30 years.  May need a part now and then but that little tractor is built like a tank!  Best of luck with it:handgestures-thumbupright:   

Have fun browsing the site here but be careful, these red machines have been known to mutiply!

WHX??

Rp.wh

:text-welcomeconfetti: you have picked a good first :wh: ,alot of great guys here to help with any questions you have!:handgestures-thumbupright:

Volant1006

Thanx everyone!  I'm already looking to add some mods.  Maybe some wheel weights & chains for the winter.  New gas cap, maybe a hitch.  Will definitely try to run good (no ethanol) fuel in it.  It sounds like there are a few meetups in my neck of the woods (PA) so I'll keep an eye out.  Does anybody use a battery tender on these, or does weekly starts keep it charged?  

• Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Volant1006

Well I feel like a goof.  I might have to recind my original post "the hours were kinda high 3100" I checked the hours again & I think I read the numbers wrong.  I think it only has 316 hours not 3160!

image.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

BOB ELLISON

Welcome to Redsqure 

That's a great tractor and it will last another 30 years. 316 hours its just now gitting broke in. Yes I use Daltran  battery tender jr on all my tractors battery's and they work great.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Hardly broke in @Volant1006! Great find:greetings-clappingyellow:

whamm511
On 6/29/2018 at 6:30 AM, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:              You made an excellent choice! The 312-8 is a great worker and will serve you well. If the previous owner went off and left the key on a few times the hour meter may have been running while the tractor was parked, it appears to be a well cared for machine so that is my guess.

Be sure to use ethanol free gas to prevent fuel system problems in the future.  http://www.buyrealgas.com/Pennsylvania.html

Is this true of all WHs regarding ethanol free gas?  I’ve got a ‘97 520H.

• Like 1

953 nut

Any lawn and garden equipment needs ethanol free gas, even brand new stuff. I also run it in mt street rod because all older vehicles have rubber parts the ethanol will destroy. Also, anything that isn't used regularly will end up with fuel problems because the ethanol decomposes in the fuel system.