Racinbob

Cataracts

Ed Kennell

Thanks for the report Bob.    It's good to hear the great results.   I just had my annual eye exam and my eye guy says my cataracts are not quite bad enough to justify removal.  The insurance won't pay as long as my vision can be corrected with glasses.   Enjoy your new clear vision.

• Like 2

19richie66

Glad everything worked out Bob. I know when I misplace my glasses I am in trouble. Can’t imagine what it’s like with cataracts. I wish you the best my friend. Great seeing you again at the show.

• Like 1

Racinbob
17 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Thanks for the report Bob.    It's good to hear the great results.   I just had my annual eye exam and my eye guy says my cataracts are not quite bad enough to justify removal.  The insurance won't pay as long as my vision can be corrected with glasses.   Enjoy your new clear vision.

Thanks Ed. I'd never wish for things to get worse but with it being inevitable with time ya kinda have to wonder.

7 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Glad everything worked out Bob. I know when I misplace my glasses I am in trouble. Can’t imagine what it’s like with cataracts. I wish you the best my friend. Great seeing you again at the show.

Thanks Richie. I don't think I realized just how bad my vision had become. I'm sure it was a dumb idea to drive to the big show but I made it safely so all's well.

I wish you all the best too and hopefully your retirement and relocation goes as planned. It was great seeing you again and I know everyone had a great time but it seemed like you were a notch above that. I loved it and an glad you finally could make it and enjoy the show so much. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SPINJIM

Glad to hear everything went so well Bob.   I have the same procedure in my future, and it's good to hear abut your success.   Get the other eye done, and you'll feel like a twenty-year-old.    I saw you at the show, but sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with you more.   Good to see you though.   

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Just be watchful for inflammation to show up weeks/months after surgery, my dad (now 81) with diabetes had his cataracts removed and the new synthetic lenses installed over a year ago, but now it seems every 3 months or so he gets a really bad inflammation in both eyes (really red and lower lids hanging low) then a regime of eye drops and antibiotics just to go through it again and again and they still don't know what is causing it, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WHX??

I dunno Bob I thought your sight was pretty good after spying and picking up  that nice round hood at the show!

I figured that's why you were so antsy at the show as you were worried about the surgery thing. Understandable... My wife Cindy being a surg. tech. says its quite a common procedure and they do dozens of them a day with no problems. I hear your phobia about sharp objects nears one's eyes tho. Sounds like you had a good doc tho and use eye drops if they tell you to!

• Like 3

oliver2-44

Good to hear everything went well. This winter I expect we'll have you reporting on those backyard WH's you;ve spotted once the shrubbery drops it's leaves.

P.S. we need to hear more about this Big Show round hood!

• Like 1

Racinbob
7 hours ago, WHX20 said:

I dunno Bob I thought your sight was pretty good after spying and picking up  that nice round hood at the show!

I figured that's why you were so antsy at the show as you were worried about the surgery thing. Understandable... My wife Cindy being a surg. tech. says its quite a common procedure and they do dozens of them a day with no problems. I hear your phobia about sharp objects nears one's eyes tho. Sounds like you had a good doc tho and use eye drops if they tell you to!

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :D

I didn't realize I was antsy but maybe I was. So many people told me exactly what Cindy said but I still couldn't help but have it on my mind. Now it's definitely one of those "what was I worried about" things.

Just got back from the day after follow up. I got a positive 'wow!' from the lady when she checked my left eye. Then on to the doctor. I think he was impressed with himself :rolleyes: He pounded the eye drops thing too and I told him no worries, Nancy is in charge of that.

Thanks again for that cheddar cheese. Without a doubt several notches above what we get around here. :)

Oops, almost forgot. Nancy said thinks for the dill pickle chips. She loves them. :handgestures-thumbupright:

6 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Good to hear everything went well. This winter I expect we'll have you reporting on those backyard WH's you;ve spotted once the shrubbery drops it's leaves.

P.S. we need to hear more about this Big Show round hood!

I ran across this Thursday but nobody was around. First thing Friday I'm looking at it again and the rest is history. 5b34e5f2049ab_854BigShowScore.jpg.96286c3b740b7d4ca655c5cf78861326.jpg

It's gonna need a bit more work than my big show quick inspection revealed but I think I did good. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Glad that all worked out for you Bob.  Waiting to get the other one done is going to drive you crazy.  The new clarity and vibrant colors is really something, is it not??  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

dcrage

Anybody try one of the replacement lens that you can focus?  I hear from my optometrist that they have mixed results (and insurance didn’t pay for them. 

peter lena

good going on getting that done bob, had mine done about 4 years ago, those double yellow lines on the road were getting very scary. recently had the follow up with laser removal of the lens sack, they might or not have to be done, dr will keep you informed of that. most important part of keeping after yourself is the positive mindset to correct what comes up, that way you will correct issues. much better than old school hard ass , toughing it out, and collecting injuries like a brag point. todays operations are relatively simple, dramatically improved from just a few years ago. also did my knees 3 years ago, detailed my surgeon check, turned out great, no fear factor , that is what people terrorize themselves about. Winston Churchill said " when you get to hell, keep going ", it works , pete 

• Like 2

squonk

The stuff they give you during the surgeries today works wonders. When I had my stents in I'm looking at my heart and pointing at the monitor. "There it is!" :)

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Glad to hear everything went well with the cataract removal .  

• Like 2

stevasaurus

@dcrage Dave...the couple of people that I know that tried those had a problem getting headaches.  I got the ones that let me see a long ways...just need readers.  Mine have a blue tinge in them also...for the sun.  :)

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Does the blue tint match you shirt ? Squonk made me write it .:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Racinbob

Today the doc and I discussed where I wanted my right eye to be. I opted for the same as the left. That will give me the distance vision and readers. :)

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I think you made the correct choice for that Bob.  $10 readers from Walgreens...1 pair in the kitchen, 1 pair in the dining room, 1 pair in the truck, 1 pair by the computer and 1 pair just in case.  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 2

shallowwatersailor

My eye doctor suggested that I make a point of using sunglasses to lessen the degradation. So far so good with not needing surgery.

With regards to one eye for reading and the other for distance, I wore contacts for a few years around 2001. One was for distance and the other was for reading. It was great as my brain did the compensating to be like 20/20. I was able to wear fashionable sunglasses plus my eyes were "brighter." Trouble was the problem of wearing contacts. Dry eyes that would get tired, slipping on my eyes, and losing them plus I always needed to have my glasses with me in case I needed to remove them. It got to be too much trouble after awhile - but it was nice being "normal."

• Like 2

953 nut
11 hours ago, Racinbob said:

anxious to get my right eye done in 2 weeks.

Bob, glad all went so well for you.

My brother put cataract surgery till he got to the point he needed bright lights to work and could hardly drive in the rain. The day after his first eye was done it occurred to him that the sky was blue and grass was green and he could actually read the paper with normal ambient room lighting. He couldn't wait to have the second one done.

• Like 2

squonk
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I think you made the correct choice for that Bob.  $10 readers from Walgreens...1 pair in the kitchen, 1 pair in the dining room, 1 pair in the truck, 1 pair by the computer and 1 pair just in case.  :occasion-xmas:

1. You forgot the toilet. :occasion-xmas:
  • Like 1

Marv
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Quit reading so much and you won't have that problem.:ROTF:Had mine done 10 years ago and I can still see. Doctor told me I would be surprised how much difference it would make. I was a bit skeptical. Shouldn't have been, She was right.

Marv

• Like 1

rmaynard

Bob, I am glad that all is going well so far, but here is my story. I had cataract surgery in September/October of last year. The first eye went well. Standard surgery, standard lens. The next eye was done 3 weeks later due to the surgeon going on vacation. Normally he puts two weeks between eyes. Second eye was throbbing that evening, and the following morning. Everything was blurry. Went back for my 24 hour follow-up on Friday and the pressure in the second eye was extremely high. Doctor put in some drops and had me take a diuretic. After an hour, the pressure was coming down. I had a follow-up appointment on Monday. Pressure was normal, but I still had blurry vision. Then a day later, I developed a sty in my first eye. By the end of the week, the bottom lid and the whole right side of the face was painful and swollen. Back to the doc. He gave me antibiotic drops and a heated eye patch. However, the second eye was still having blurry vision, so here I was thinking that I was going blind. Well after about two weeks the sty went away and the first eye was back to normal, but my distance vision had not improved. Second eye was still blurry and doc said that I had dry eye syndrome. Never had that before.

Anyway, here is the bottom line on my experience.

I had standard surgery and standard lenses.

Left eye blurriness cleared up after about 3 weeks of using drops. However, I still have dry eye syndrome now in both eyes and have to use drops.

I was told that I would not need glasses to be able to see distances, but that did not happen. I have to wear expensive progressives to read and see distances.

Had a six-month follow-up this past Tuesday and doc says that my distance vision problem is from astigmatism. He did a vision exam and gave me a new prescription for lenses because my vision had changed again since getting new glasses in November. I ask him if he would lend me $400.00 for the new glasses.

The good news is that driving at night now I don't see flares and halos, and I can finally get glasses that I can see with, though I shouldn't need them.

• Sad 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks for the comments. I never know what the future has in store with my sight.

Glenn

rmaynard

And please don't get me wrong. I expect perfection from anyone who lays a knife to me. Maybe I was expecting too much. I see good now even though I was expecting to be able to do it without glasses after the surgery.