Bucko

Spark plug

Bucko

Finally got the magneto installed in the '61 wheel horse (engine is H55D), along with a new switch (ground only of course). If I hold the tip of the spark plug wire and crank the engine over with the starter, I get a good jolt!!! This tells me the mag, point, and condenser must be good I'd think.

However, when I connect it to a spark plug and ground the plug, I see no spark. The plug is a champion J8. Maybe this plug is bad. What is the proper plug for this engine?

Edited by Bucko

WHX??

LOL.. Just helped a guy with this

should be the same for a 50/55

Bucko

I'll get a new J8.

If I hold the metal end of the spark plug wire that attaches to the spark plug and operate the starter, I get a good jolt. it should cause a spark plug to spark, right? I've connected the original J8 (it looks clean) to the spark plug wire, then held it to the top of the cylinder head, but I see no spark jump at the spark plug tip. Gap seems good enough for it to jump. Is there a ground strap that should be at the engine block head to the battery negative post perhaps? The engine bolts to the frame, and the battery negative cable connects to ground.The starter via the switch works, and that, on this model, uses a ground to the starter silonoid, so I'd think there is a good ground everywhere.

I'm down to getting a spark at the plug.

KC9KAS

@Bucko I would invest in a "spark tester" and save yourself from the "self inflicted" shock!

• Haha 3

ol550
5 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

@Bucko I would invest in a "spark tester" and save yourself from the "self inflicted" shock!

Used to have a bull on the farm that would stand next to a electric fence. He seemed to like the jolts but I'll have to spare the details why. :think:

• Haha 3

formariz

Its the plug. Just replace it.

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Terry M

These work Nice in all of my Tecumseh H/HH 60 ‘s and simalar engines

0D9BD5B7-1FF2-47E1-96FF-A23CDECED99F.jpeg

my new toy

You don't get the shock from it comes from the coil/  you can ground the base of the plug to the engine have someone turn it over and look for spark . make sure it is grounded or you could be in store for another treatment. I would just get another plug, I had a plug showed spark, then when i put it in it shorted to the engine, was cracked inside it was a fluke that i saw it grounding it. good luck MNY

squonk
22 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Where's the fun in that! 

squonk

I built a coil tester when I worked at Napa. Old Chevy points distributor mounted on a stand, wired up every thing and used alligator clips to connect to a battery. Connect the coil and battery turn the distributor gear with your hand and spark away. 

We had a customer come in with a coil to be tested. Counter guy is hooking it up and another counter guy comes over to make small talk. He starts twirling the dist. gear as the first guy touches the wires. ZAP! :) Then another guy comes in with an HEI coil. He got too close to the spark. Knocked him on his butt! :ROTF:

• Haha 1

Bucko
On 6/28/2018 at 2:34 PM, Terry M said:

These work Nice in all of my Tecumseh H/HH 60 ‘s and simalar engines

0D9BD5B7-1FF2-47E1-96FF-A23CDECED99F.jpeg

This is what I ended up with at my local ACE hardware store. J8's seem to be no longer available, nor the RJ8's (resistor). I forgot what the C stood for, but it lines up in size with the old J8 that was in there.

lynnmor
7 hours ago, Bucko said:

This is what I ended up with at my local ACE hardware store. J8's seem to be no longer available, nor the RJ8's (resistor). I forgot what the C stood for, but it lines up in size with the old J8 that was in there.

C stands for copper.  For whatever reason they made plugs with a copper core.