Pullstart

And now on to the last haul of the Big Show, Jada's Barney Fife

Achto
49 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I'm undecided weather I should trim the floor board to fit the PTO controls, or just remove them.

I was confused by this statement until I looked at the pic's. I would ditch the boards, they don't belong on an 857 any way. Go for a set of stirrups instead.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I agree, but I'm thinking of the kids...  Jada running around on Putt Putt yesterday finally switched off because the stirrups are just out of reach.  With that said, she won't be doing a ton of mowing or tilling :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Achto

Good point.

• Like 1

Pullstart

• Like 4

Pullstart

Happy 4th of July folks, after all the day’s festivities, I got some garage time.  Brought a picture of the 857 engine wiring diagram out to the shop and double checked the way it was wired up when I tore it down, tossed a splash of gas in the tank and to my surprise it actually fired up!  Good inspiration to finish up putting it back together and have another runner for the kids.  Jada isn’t very fond of loud noise, so with that monster muffler I’ll probably find her riding it the most.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

Here’s a clip of it running, with gas in the tank and the tank in the correct position... no fuel pump needed.  Jada was super excited to hear it this morning!  Now to figure out a name... I was thinking Barney Fife, in relation to barn find, but that’s not a good reference to the quiet muffler on the thing...

• Like 2

dells68

Hey Kevin!  If that 8hp has the vacuum fuel pump, take it apart and check to see if the valves in it are stuck.  If so, clean it out and break the valves free and it should work great.  The one on the 857 I sold had stuck, gummed up valves from sitting when I first got it.

Edited by dells68
  • Like 2

stevebo

So what is the status on the other 20 you stuffed in the back of the truck otw home from the show?

• Haha 4

Pullstart
10 hours ago, dells68 said:

Hey Kevin!  If that 8hp has the vacuum fuel pump, take it apart and check to see if the valves in it are stuck.  If so, clean it out and break the valves free and it should work great.  The one on the 857 I sold had stuck, gummed up valves from sitting when I first got it.

I think once I replace the fuel line and add a filter, I’ll see how long it runs without the pump, just gravity feed.  But if I have issues, I’ll remember that trick!

8 hours ago, stevebo said:

So what is the status on the other 20 you stuffed in the back of the truck otw home from the show?

Putt Putt is fat dumb and happy, I took the rear fenders off for the haul home and now I like the look of it without, so the fenders will probably sit on the shelf for now.

Rylee’s Commando 800 that had the valve problem runs like a champ.  We named it Screamin’ Jimmy.  I set the governor the same way as I did for Putt Putt but it seems to like to run away like the old Detroit Diesel 2 Stokes.  Rylee likes the 1067 hood that I picked up with the 857 so we’ll probably end up swapping the grilles before next year’s show.

The Polished Turd 656 runs great, it made me not mind Tecky’s so much.  I need to get a lift cable made up so I can do some garden work with it and it could use a new belt.

This 857 needs a belt, I think I can use the one from Putt Putt when it had a 3 speed trans.  Otherwise it should be good for Jada.  I’ll pull the pto foot control off and finish installing the floor boards for her safety.

I’m waiting for some trans bearings and seals to show up so I can put this 8 speed trans back together and get the C-101 back up and running, then the whole heard will be in business...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by pullstart
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

All good stuff Kev. All good stuff.

• Thanks 1

dells68

Only time you'll have any trouble with the lack of a fuel pump is if you're go I g up hill for an extended period of time.  It will tend to run out of fuel with the carb closer to level with the tank or even higher.  Emory got 2/3 of the way up Dad's hill then ran out of gas on his 633. Now, I've ordered a fuel pump for the little rascal.

• Like 3

Pullstart

acres!

where did my post go... we have about 5 ft of grade on our 10.5 acres!

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 1

dells68
17 minutes ago, pullstart said:

acres!

where did my post go... we have about 5 ft of grade on our 10.5 acres!

Must be nice!  We've got about 30 acres, only about 10-12 clear and that's got a lot of hills.  Wouldn't trade our woods for anything though - coyotes, black bears, and bob cats all!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, dells68 said:

It will tend to run out of fuel with the carb closer to level with the tank or even higher.  Emory got 2/3 of the way up Dad's hill then ran out of gas

Model "T" Fords had to back up on steep grades because they had gravity feed fuel systems.             :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

posifour11
15 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Model "T" Fords had to back up on steep grades because they had gravity feed fuel systems.             :ychain:

They also had to stop three times to fill the radiator from Lawrence KS to Muncie KS if they are racing. Or, so my grandpa told me. 😀

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

So as seen in the “Happiest kids on the block” post, the 857 pulled out of the garage today.  A run to tractor supply got us a new belt, fuel line and filter.  I explained to Jada as she helped put everything back together how important it is to keep the fuel system in good shape, for safety reasons.  Fun times wrenching with the little ones!

Edited by pullstart
Typos
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

the link to our family adventures last night

Pullstart

Picked up a parts tractor for Screamin’ Jimmy today.  It’s seen better days, but has a couple good pieces left.  The trans shifts into all gears with ease, the top of the hood will be donated to the 1267 grille that I picked up at the show, it’s has pretty nice tie rods, etc.  5 bolt hubs, if I can ever get them off... there’s some good rust evidence on the axles.

91F87134-D664-4B34-AE63-CC21F769B384.jpeg

1A88E96B-5F51-4DE4-98ED-EA9AD6285678.jpeg

2C82FAA7-E5C1-423E-A4AF-E4C05C5D6269.jpeg

CC6D88B6-9B5D-4AFF-8EF8-9FBF09EA61B0.jpeg

C5C27323-51A3-4325-A6C7-9F866B883155.jpeg

36580FD5-C1CC-47AD-8ABE-BC5860ADAA8A.jpeg

72895785-4621-4FD5-A08E-457D9FEB7445.jpeg

340D23C4-DD53-4888-B2AC-063E005DB83F.jpeg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

5 bolt hubs, if I can ever get them off... there’s some good rust evidence on the axles.

Do you use an old hub for a puller?

Pullstart

I’ve never needed to.  I did however have one hub / trans that made it into the arbor press once!  Pumping a handle and letting pressure do it’s thing is a godsend, I believe.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

stevebo

I love the signature:D

• Like 1

Pullstart

Can’t work on one kid’s and not the other!  We scored a set of tire chains on “Big Junky” the 12/1076.  I told Jada she could have them, she’s been lacking in the field traction department ever since we tossed chains and weights on Rylee’s rig.

39920DB0-4DE5-4208-B568-6B70B1E4B9A3.jpeg

7C5B234F-0B07-46C8-A159-4DC35BFC0DD9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

So Jada isn’t too keen on welding yet.  She does however want to work on her tractor.  Last year she found a steel seat pan like Putt Putt and Frank have.  She wants to put it on her 857.  I showed her a 1045 to see if we want to mock one for her, she said “Can I go eat something?”  I responded “Do you like the look of that?”  She said “Yeah” and wandered off to the kitchen. :ROTF:

I’ve wanted to build a mock 1045, looks like it might be an 845 instead :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

dells68

That girl is rotten as rotten gets Kevin!  See what she was actually saying was “that would be awesome Dad, I’d love to have an 845!  Now you build it while I go eat!” :ROTF: She is quiet and reserved, but one word says a lot!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1