shunter

Don't wash your tractor

oldredrider

IMO, magnetos don't go bad from just washing a tractor. I personally wouldn't go throwing parts at it to fix the problem. Especially since these parts are hard to find and not cheap.

There is a Kohler procedure for testing the individual components in this type of ignition. I would suggest you do a search on the Kohler website or here on this forum under "electrical" topics. 

I'm fairly certain I have a magneto if needed but, wouldn't feel comfortable selling it to you if that's NOT the problem. Check the trouble shooting info before throwing unneeded parts at it. Just my opinion.

• Excellent 3

pfrederi

It is hard to figure out the correct mag part number.  If you look up your spec number Kohler shows it having a Breakerless system.  Since I assume you have a 10 amp charging system I would guess what  you need is 4714502 ...only $144.00

Which stator mag does yours look like??

mag1.JPG

mag2.JPG

gwest_ca

Found this using after-market catalogs. Seems Kohler missed some info in their parts lists.

Click on the picture

Garry

Stormin

One day I cleaned and set the points on my C-125. 12hp Kohler. Also replaced the missing bottom screw that holds the points cover on. Tractor wouldn't start. Then I remembered when I acquired the tractor some years back, I did the same thing with the same result.

I found that with the bottom screw in place it was shorting out the points. Cover looks undamaged but with no bottom screw, engine fires up ok. So no screw there now and all ways starts ok.

Maybe a similar thing with yours and I say maybe. Try with no points cover.

• Thanks 1

shunter

pulled the flywheel today to find the Magento (coil) has cracks see pic.

IMG_2420.JPG

shunter
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

It is hard to figure out the correct mag part number.  If you look up your spec number Kohler shows it having a Breakerless system.  Since I assume you have a 10 amp charging system I would guess what  you need is 4714502 ...only $144.00

Which stator mag does yours look like?? can you buy just the coil or is it one piece coil and stator?

mag1.JPG

mag2.JPG

Looks like this (see pic} what your best guess?

IMG_2423.JPG

Edited by shunter

pfrederi

Looks like number 9 to me but I would look for just the coil #13..

If the charging stator works and you have points you may find it cheaper easier to change to battery coil system.  lots of internally resisted 12v coils very cheap and change the ignition switch

Edited by pfrederi

shunter

I would change it out but I've never done it before and would not know what to buy,

shunter

It runs again!!

IMG_2426.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

posifour11
On 7/6/2018 at 5:32 PM, shunter said:

It runs again!!

IMG_2426.JPG

What was the issue?

bo dawg

I'm sure It was that ign coil.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years back to a 68 Charger with the internal coil. I ended up converting it to an external coil and it ran great again. Plus cheaper than the cost of the internal coil. Been scared to use water on any tractor since.

• Confused 1