shunter

Don't wash your tractor

shunter

I have a charger 12 with a K301S-47147b it has a magneto ignition with points and condenser. used it all day Saturday and when I was done I parked it and hosed it down. (it did cooldown) Sunday went back, gassed it up to only find out it now won't start, engine cranks, lights work but it won't turn over.  it's is pumping gas. What did I do to it, and where would you begin to start to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks

953 nut

Have you pulled the spark plug and checked to see if you have spark?

shunter

No spark.

953 nut
10 minutes ago, shunter said:

K301S-47147b

Your engine has the electronic trigger ignition, not a magneto. Check to see if the wire going to the bottom of your ignition module (coil) has become disconnected.

shunter
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Your engine has the electronic trigger ignition, not a magneto. Check to see if the wire going to the bottom of your ignition module (coil) has become disconnected.

help me out please, where is it, the spark plug wire goes into the case,  do I need to pull the side casing off?

gwest_ca

If you have points clean the contacts. They may have got wet and oxidized. I think the 47147b has magneto ignition - the first system introduced with the first Bendix starters.

Garry

shunter

I just tried a new set of points just now, no go..

IMG_1947.JPG

shunter

IMG_1948.JPG

shunter

pictures of it when I first bought it

stevebo

Do you have a leaf blower? If so, take points cover off and gently blow off the points and check the gap then clean contacts again. You should also blow off all other ignition parts like coil, wire, key switch etc. 

• Like 2

953 nut
9 minutes ago, shunter said:

help me out please, where is it, the spark plug wire goes into the case,  do I need to pull the side casing off?

Based on the photo it appears the magneto ignition system is what you have. Th late '60s - early '70s ones I have had were trigger ignitions.

Your points are located under the small removable cover in the lower left of your last picture. dry and clean them  and you may be back in business.

shunter

I just tried a new set of points and condenser, no luck 

WHNJ701

if it's nice out tomorrow park it out in the sun all day and let dry out

squonk

Did you clean your new set of points contacts before installing and did you gap them? 

shunter
31 minutes ago, squonk said:

Did you clean your new set of points contacts before installing and did you gap them? 

didn't clean them seeing it is brand new and I did gap it at .020

stevebo
1 hour ago, shunter said:

didn't clean them seeing it is brand new and I did gap it at .020

I would still hit them with a little fine paper

johnnymag3

Seems to me your spark plug may be grounded as there may be some water somewhere conducting to ground, thus acting as if your key is off. The key is critical to ensure spark to the plug, and all of the other things you have tried have not worked..

Just a suggestion.

john

johnnymag3

When I say Spark plug, I don't mean the actual plug, I mean the circuitry from the battery to the plug, switch, points, wiring, male to female spade connections, plug on back of key switch......Im sure you will figure it out ! Washing tractors in good looking, but can wreak havoc on unseen areas where water can get, and that's EVERYWHERE !!!

gOOD lUCK TO YOU,

jOHN

squonk

Clean the points. They oxidize in the package. 

Skipper

Safety switch perhaps?

• Like 1

shunter

went all over that thing today, took a blower to it, it sat in the sun all day, I ran my hands down every wire, disconnected every wire I could, wire brushed all the connections made sure everything was on there good. I took sandpaper to the points and checked the gap, .020 on the nose.  could the magneto turn to junk?  if so where could I get one to fit?

Edited by shunter

pfrederi
13 hours ago, shunter said:

went all over that thing today, took a blower to it, it sat in the sun all day, I ran my hands down every wire, disconnected every wire I could, wire brushed all the connections made sure everything was on there good. I took sandpaper to the points and checked the gap, .020 on the nose.  could the magneto turn to junk?  if so where could I get one to fit?

How are you testing for spark? You might buy a cheap $5 tester at Harbor Freight. You replaced points and condenser but did you replace the plug?  The cold water may have cracked the porcelain insulator or water may have gotten inside it.

As an aside it is bad practice to use sandpaper or Emory cloth to clean points.  Bits of the grit can get stuck in the points surface and lead to premature burning/failure.  Use a point file or borrow a metal nail file from the other half...(Clean new $1 bills also work)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk
6 hours ago, pfrederi said:

How are you testing for spark? You might buy a cheap $5 tester at Harbor Freight. You replaced points and condenser but did you replace the plug?  The cold water may have cracked the porcelain insulator or water may have gotten inside it.

As an aside it is bad practice to use sandpaper or Emory cloth to clean points.  Bits of the grit can get stuck in the points surface and lead to premature burning/failure.  Use a point file or borrow a metal nail file from the other half...(Clean new $1 bills also work)

$5 ones clean it better! :)

• Haha 1

shunter

Where can I get a Magento for this engine?

shunter

any one?