BHunter

New horse in my stable

WHX??

Nice score! :handgestures-thumbupright: Don't know if I would mess with that patina tho... maybe the rims but that's it.....:twocents-02cents:

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 4

stevebo
9 minutes ago, WHX20 said:

Nice score! :handgestures-thumbupright: Don't know if I would mess with that patina tho... maybe the rims but that's it.....:twocents-02cents:

I agree 100%. The nice patina round hoods are getting less and less. Wet sand and buff then maybe clear? I agree on painting wheels tho. 

Very nice machine-congrats!!

• Like 5

953 nut
19 minutes ago, BHunter said:

My sons and I plan to bring it to the 2019 big show

Seems that a Father & Sons :wh: project is a wonderful bonding and learning opportunity. We all have differing opinions on how to finish a nice  survivor. I would suggest you do it as your sons want it to be so they will be involved and proud of the outcome.

• Like 6

BHunter

I was hoping that you guys would say leave the patina alone. I was on the fence with it. You guys are right. Its only original once. We saw a lot of restored ones at the show last weekend and they looked nice but not original anymore. 953 nut, I was trying to figure out who you are . I wanted to show you my electro 12 that you wrote nice comments about. Hope we can meet next year.

• Like 2

BHunter
1 hour ago, stevebo said:

I agree 100%. The nice patina round hoods are getting less and less. Wet sand and buff then maybe clear? I agree on painting wheels tho. 

Very nice machine-congrats!!

Thank you. We were excited to get a Suburban. What is your Thoughts on painting the seat to match the wheels? 

Achto
32 minutes ago, BHunter said:

What is your Thoughts on painting the seat to match the wheels? 

I think that it would look great!! Plus it would keep the rust from rubbing off on to your pants.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

MarkS

Awesome suburban!!! What a great find, and great project for you and your son. Trying to make sure that next year will be my first show and I hope to see that there!:text-coolphotos::wh:

WHNJ701

was that the one in milford nj

Racinbob

Wow! I'm a big fan of fresh paint but I don't think I'd do that to your beauty. I'm thinking that's as factory original as you'll find and I would probably splurge for a shower cap muffler if I could find one. Geez! you even have all the guards there. But then again, I agree with Richard on discussing it with your son. I love it! :)

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Very nice survivor.  As stated great father son project. I have a Suburban that getting fresh red paint due to partial paint brush old paint, cobbled together pieces, weld repairs, etc.  YI would like to find one a

complete with nice even patina to sand and clearcoat.  But the most important thing is to make it yours, so follow you sons lead!

• Like 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Geez! you even have all the guards there.

Really how often do you find the deck guard. I'm thinkin roll that bad boy out in the sun and get some more :text-coolphotos: for us BP!

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 2

The Tuul Crib

Yea there's rat rods why can't there be 

rat horses?! Clear it!

• Like 3

BHunter
18 hours ago, jabelman said:

was that the one in milford nj

Yes it was

BHunter
5 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Very nice survivor.  As stated great father son project. I have a Suburban that getting fresh red paint due to partial paint brush old paint, cobbled together pieces, weld repairs, etc.  YI would like to find one a

complete with nice even patina to sand and clearcoat.  But the most important thing is to make it yours, so follow you sons lead!

They like the patina look. We are going to degrease it and clear it. Thanks for the advise 

• Like 1

BHunter
19 hours ago, MarkS said:

Awesome suburban!!! What a great find, and great project for you and your son. Trying to make sure that next year will be my first show and I hope to see that there!:text-coolphotos::wh:

This year was our first year there. It was great. The rain didn’t stop the fun. Hope to see you next year. 

• Like 1

BHunter

Bringing the color back to life

7F908065-4AA0-4357-A0C9-AC8945B1047D.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

BHunter

47429521-D56F-408C-9B1F-D45BE9F255F0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

stevebo

Did you wet sand it before buffing?

BHunter
1 hour ago, stevebo said:

Did you wet sand it before buffing?

No. I just wanted to see if it would get smooth without sanding. I’m going to try sanding a spot tomorrow and see if it’s different. 

BHunter
14 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Wow! I'm a big fan of fresh paint but I don't think I'd do that to your beauty. I'm thinking that's as factory original as you'll find and I would probably splurge for a shower cap muffler if I could find one. Geez! you even have all the guards there. But then again, I agree with Richard on discussing it with your son. I love it! :)

Thank you. They are good with leaving it original. I don’t know what that muffler is but I’ll try.

WHNJ701

does anyone know if this year/model was supposed to have the tool tray and fenders or was it an option?

stevebo

I would wet sand with 180 then 320 then maybe 1000 or 1200 then compound and buff.

stevebo
1 minute ago, jabelman said:

does anyone know if this year/model was supposed to have the tool tray and fenders or was it an option?

Optional

BHunter
3 hours ago, jabelman said:

I wish it did. I like the look. From what I’ve researched, it was an option.