MarkS

Lawn ranger questions

MarkS

Hello everyone,

So I've been on a mad search for a round hood lately, and not finding much in the Upstate NY area. I almost was able to make a deal on two suburbans, but someone beat me to the deal. I have been able to locate several lawn rangers, but I'm not sure if I like the look of the really small front wheels. My first question would be is if anyone has put any bigger wheels on their lawn ranger, and how it looked/worked. 

My second question will be everyone opinion on one that I found that needs to be reassembled, but the guy says it runs fine, and he does have all the parts there, plus a mower deck. He had it listed for $350, but I got him down to $175 and I'm not sure if its worth that or not.

Thanks for any input, or where/what to look for next!

:USA:

31284706_939257139571906_1472888386246148096_n.jpg

31295998_939257112905242_4477708684041912320_n.jpg

31306848_939257056238581_4277248803557343232_n.jpg

31357880_939257032905250_8317742130537693184_n.jpg

31252854_939257089571911_5878057933106839552_n.jpg

pfrederi

If you put bigger tires/wheel on the front the tractor will look like it is running up hill all the time.  There isn't much clearance under the fender to upsize the rears. 

SPINJIM

You would have to go to 'clam shell' fenders to make room for larger rear wheels.    In that many pieces, I wouldn't pay more than $100 - $125 for it, and even then I might make him show me that the engine runs.    I sold a nice running Lawn Ranger at the Show for $250.   Keep looking for what you want, even if you have to drive a ways to buy it.   Good Luck.

Jim

pfrederi

I agree with Spinjim.  If it ran fine like he said why did he take it apart????

MarkS

I just asked him why it was apart, and he said he was going to do a resto a while back but got distracted with something else. I agree with you guys, i could probably find a better deal if I wait. I might ask him if he could get it back together and show it all works.

• Like 1

MarkS

After everyone's advice, I offered him $120. I also got him to put everything back on with the exception of the engine. I know its a little but of a gamble, but if I get it back together and it all works good I think it will be quite the deal!

• Like 1

SPINJIM

Looks like you have yourself a project, but that's half the fun of the hobby.   Good luck with it.

Jim

Wild Bill in VA

Cecil Pond told me that the Lawn Ranger was the easiest model to come up with because all they had to do was install smaller tires and wheels on the models they were building. Now this was only with the fist generation 1962 to 1964 year models that had the open fenders, the 1965 to 1968 used the wider flat fenders as in the model you have pictured.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

MarkS
1 hour ago, Wild Bill in VA said:

Cecil Pond told me that the Lawn Ranger was the easiest model to come up with because all they had to do was install smaller tires and wheels on the models they were building. Now this was only with the fist generation 1962 to 1964 year models that had the open fenders, the 1965 to 1968 used the wider flat fenders as in the model you have pictured.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

Im not too familiar with the specific models. Was the lawn ranger just a budget model from the others they were building? Or do the smaller tires prove advantageous for something?

Wild Bill in VA

Mark,

The smaller tire diameter gave a small turning radius and by giving the tractor a shorter stance made the unit easy to get on and off. The early 1962 to 1964 Lawn Rangers had narrower tires then the 1965 to 1968 models of which the wider tires gave better traction with less weight per square foot.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

MarkS
2 hours ago, Wild Bill in VA said:

Mark,

The smaller tire diameter gave a small turning radius and by giving the tractor a shorter stance made the unit easy to get on and off. The early 1962 to 1964 Lawn Rangers had narrower tires then the 1965 to 1968 models of which the wider tires gave better traction with less weight per square foot.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

Okay, that makes sense, Thanks for the awesome info!

MarkS

I picked up the one I was looking at today. I got it home and mocked everything together, should be a nice project. I am going to start a new thread for that.