drn441

310-8 uni-drive transmission parts

drn441

I have the transaxle out of my 310-8 because it was leaking all over the garage floor.. when I pulled the drain plug I got a lot of water and milky oil out of it so I want to open up the case and clean everything up and replace all of the seals... Only problem is I'm not sure what model transaxle I have to order parts.. the model number of the tractor is no longer there...The only identification I have is sticker on the transaxle that reads (Uni-Drive Pat. No. 2988185).. also the engine is a kohler magnum 10. any help would be great

thanks 

Dan

drn441

wheel horse trans 1.jpg

wheels horse trans 2.jpg

gwest_ca

According to the records you most likely have 1" diameter axles but there are exceptions. Click on the pictures

If it axles are 1-1/8" diameter this trans is from the same time period.

The 2988185 is the patent number.

If the Kohler spec number and serial number are legible post those. Sometimes a model can be ID'd using them.

Garry

953 nut

:WRS:

Before you buy seals you should check the axles to see if there is any play, up/down or front/back. If there is any play then bad bearings caused the seals to fail.

This thread is a must read for you.

• Excellent 1

stevasaurus

If you have 1" axles, you have the Wheel Horse #110996 transmission.  It has the hi/low selection and the differential is a 4 pinion differential.  You are going to want to open up the transmission and clean it out.  You probably don't have any bad gears, but like Richard said, you may have some bad bearings.  You will at least want to change out the seals and the case half gasket.  Let's see what you find...here are the seal and gasket numbers.  :)

Axle seals for 1" axles...#100863 this will cross to SKF #9815

Brake shaft seal............#100441 this will cross to SKF #7410

Input shaft seal..............#100442 this will cross to SKF #6105

Case gasket you can get from TORO for about $6...#3912

You can use the thread that Richard put up there for you trans, but you will not have that 10 pinion differential...it is the piece of cake 4 pinion differential.

drn441

Thank you for the info I appreciate it! I measured the axles last night and they are 1" and they were tight up and down and front to back. I'm going to open it up tonight hopefully and see how everything looks inside.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Use this manual Section V for the instructions to open and put back together also.  :)

drn441

I pulled the case apart and it looks like I can get away with just replacing seals and gaskets and cleaning everything up. I took some pictures of my progress. 

thanks again for all the info

wheel horse 3.jpg

wheel horse 4.jpg

wheel horse 5.jpg

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Thank you for the pictures.  It does look like just a cleaning and seals.  :occasion-xmas:

tunahead72
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:42 PM, drn441 said:

wheels horse trans 2.jpg

Make sure you replace the gear shift cover while you're at it, it's probably why your fluid was milky in the first place.  Toro #3577, $5-$10 lots of places.

• Like 1

drn441

All cleaned up just waiting on parts

IMG_20180629_061438.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That looks great, except...you need to scrape and wire wheel the case halves where the gasket goes.  You knew that, didn't you.  :occasion-xmas:

drn441

Yeah that's just the picture I snapped after pulling everything from the parts washer before I cleaned the gasket surface. I found the tag on the engine not sure what all can be identified by it.. 

IMG_20180630_100149.jpg

gwest_ca

Kohler made serial 172040634x in 1987 so the engine would land on a 1987 or 1988 model tractor.

Engine Specification # 461521 was used in both the 1987 and 1988 310-8 tractor models.

Possible tractor models

1987 310-8 tractor model 21-10K804

1988 310-8 tractor model 21-10K805

Garry

• Like 1

drn441

Thank you for the info. I actually have the engine out of the tractor right now because it was burning oil really bad. (I'm thinking it needs rings at least) that should help me in finding a good manual!

drn441

Seals, bearings and gaskets came in and I got it all back together. Everything works and shifts as it should on the bench. I pulled the engine (burning oil) from the tractor and tore it down to find the piston was scored so its at the machine shop getting machined 10 over so I'll have to wait to test it out on the tractor.. Thanks to everyone for the help! 

IMG_20180713_174558.jpg

• Like 1