ebinmaine

Should the access hole to install fork detent balls/spring be plugged?

ebinmaine

The lower hole in the pic...

IMG_20180624_105640827.jpg.8a541de918c2b9d70c7a672d6bc12b96.jpg

Has Nothing in it.

Is that correct?

Marv

Plug it after assembly of the shift rails, spring , stop rod and balls. You can just leave it open until everything  is complete then plug it.

Marv

ebinmaine
20 minutes ago, Marv said:

Plug it after assembly of the shift rails, spring , stop rod and balls. You can just leave it open until everything  is complete then plug it.

Marv

There was nothing in there at all when the tractor came to us.

That hole is not threaded but it does seem to have a bottoming out step in there. Should there be a freeze plug or something?

VinsRJ

Clean it well and squirt a little RTV sealer in it when you are done assembling the tranny... no dirty in and no oil out

• Like 1

Marv
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

There was nothing in there at all when the tractor came to us.

That hole is not threaded but it does seem to have a bottoming out step in there. Should there be a freeze plug or something?

Originally there was a cup plug in that hole. Was probably removed in the past for Trans repair. 

3 minutes ago, VinsRJ said:

Clean it well and squirt a little RTV sealer in it when you are done assembling the tranny... no dirty in and no oil out

This works fine.

Marv

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• wh315-8
      By wh315-8
      My show tractors for October Festivals.
      RJ59, 1045, 657 w/sickle bar, 10HP and D200. Just love the attention and hearing the stories of grandpa or growing up had one. Always can see the joy these Horses bring to the spectators. Than telling them the WH history story along with Speedex story always intrigues them.
      Than of course there is always someone that needs to get one out of the way.
      Last year it was the 1045 and the PO was so excited to learn I got her running and been mowing my grass all summer. Of course I had to let him drive her around.
      This year it’s a 702 I think I getting this week. 
      So many were engrossed by the Sickle Bar never knowing such was available on garden tractors.

• ebinmaine
      By ebinmaine
      Still needs some finishing... It's alive!!

• ebinmaine
      By ebinmaine
      As stated in another section my honey went and bought herself a 657 a few days ago. Sunday afternoon to be exact.

Runs and drives quite well and had a very serious and non negotiable issue.
      It's Oliver green with Ford gray wheels.

Other than that the work should be minimal standard stuff.

Well of course she started tearing right into the disassembling of the lucky little tractor.
      We started to show the daily work being done to it and then realized we should really start a new thread in the proper location.

So here's a few before pics as a reminder.

Here's the end of Sunday results.

And a pic from Monday nights work.

After this was taken she found some spray on paint stripper and emptied the can on it.

We left it on for 24 hours or so.

And found red paint!!

• ebinmaine
      By ebinmaine
      If you read the restoration thread you'll see that one of my recent posts involves me snapping off the end of the crankshaft during an attempted repair.
      You'll also see about a Briggs & Stratton engine  I'm going to use.

What I'm looking for in this thread is if anyone has ever put an older style Briggs & Stratton in place of a Tecumseh or even a Kohler....

What are the things I need to watch for?
    • ebinmaine
      By ebinmaine
      I'm accustomed to using Non detergent oil in all older small engines.
      Thanks to @pfrederi I have the manual for the Tecumseh and it says to use detergent oil BUT it is printed in 1998... Over 30 years after DOM on my engine.

What do you folks use??