Tuneup

The Bolt - from Where?

Tuneup

So, after sweating some pipe in the basement yesterday - the builder of 20 years ago used too much industrial grade flux and it's eating through my cold pipes - I ended with joy in running the C-125 over the yard. This morning while walking the pup, what's sitting in my driveway but a bolt with a nicely painted black head. Hmmmm, obviously fell off my baby. It's black so very likely to have fallen off the engine. Your guess as to from where but I now have another thing to do today, though much better than sweating pipe or cleaning the garage. Odd for me - I tighten properly and double-check, using Loc-Tite where appropriate - or at least used to do so...might be an age 56 thing - happens more often nowadays.

headed to the shed!

1 1/4 length

Tuneup

She fired right up - I half wanted to inspect before starting but the bolt's location means it fell right at the start and she ran for 30 minutes with no issue so drove to the garage on wet lawn(which is a sin) and popped the hood. Hint - not the engine. I am amazed that the deck ran throughout the process and that the special 'nut' is still there and not on the lawn somewhere. Picture coming if you wish to speculate some...Loc-Tite being applied.

Tuneup

Well, there it is...nut is gone but that funky spacer was stuck in there and that's very good.

nsmail.jpg.40230abec97d1a4e9b2bd8b59c1294f3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

Sparky

A happy ending to the mystery :handgestures-thumbupright: !

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Glad you found where the bolt came from...always mind boggling when something like that happens.

Just yesterday a friend was telling a story.

He worked at a "business machine" company for many, many years. He went to a training seminar where they had to completely disassemble a calculator then re-assemble it.

You have to know John, so this has to be a true story....He put an "extra" screw into another attendees box of parts and this attendee and the class instructor spent and entire weekend trying to find where that 1 screw was supposed to go.

He said he never fessed up to the little caper!

• Haha 3

Tuneup

Great story - if I had only though of that!

When teens, my friend used to assemble the tractors at Sears while I was downstairs assembling furniture or in the bike shop repairing sports equipment. Anyway, he ALWAYS had plenty of parts left over. I wonder if any of those machines are still together. Back in the days when the catalog reigned supreme.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

McGrew

Pranks?  My brother-in law was a real clown and pretty good at pulling pranks.  He was the sales manager at a large new-car dealership.  Occasionally, he would drive his impeccably restored 1962 Corvette to work.  One afternoon right as he was getting ready to leave, one of the techs came out and poured a couple quarts of motor oil under the Corvette.  The car was parked on a slight incline such that you would have to be blind not to see the spill when getting in.  Needless to say, he had a fit and called me immediately to ask what to do.  I will be kind, and just say he was not mechanically inclined.  I did all the work on his baby.  While he still had me on the phone, he noticed a couple of the techs rolling on the floor in laughter...  I’m pretty sure the EPA would not have approved!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

953 nut
On 6/24/2018 at 12:52 PM, Tuneup said:

nut is gone

NYLOC.        Image result for nyloc nut

Many years ago I was working evenings at a service station. Came in one afternoon and there were three cars on jack stands with the brakes stripped, parts cleaned and in hubcaps and new shoes waiting for me to install. Those clowns had put a couple of extra springs or clips in every hub cap for me.      Such good buddies!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RandyLittrell

That's pretty lucky!! Maybe you should go pick you up a lottery ticket!!

I checked the oil on my 310-8 a couple of weeks ago and the battery hold down is gone! All of it! Not sure how I managed that but I have a tarp strap on it for now!! 

Randy

Tuneup

Nylock, yes! ...and never reuse them. Tough for me, though. The old snapper got a new clutch last week and she made it through 1/2 the yard before the main nut disappeared forever into the lawn. New nylock nut with a dab of threadlocker for good measure.