doc724

The end of the road

doc724

After 39 years of Wheelhorse ownership, I am now horseless.  My last and favorite tractor, the 1978 C141, will leave today for a new home.  I hated to do it but we will be moving to a retirement community where there is no room and no need for these fine tractors.  The shed that my 5 horses and a myriad of attachments called home is empty and hollow.  Only a few oil stains on the wood floor are there to remind me of the time I spent on them, restoring, cleaning and repairing them.

Over the last 7 years years, this forum has been a great source of helpful information.  I have "met" several wonderful people in this virtual world who have helped me thru many problems, John Matthews (shallowwatersailor), Forest Road, Jerseyhawg (Glen) and of course Garry who always seems to have his finger on his keyboard, ready to respond with the needed manual pages.  Special thanks to Glen Petit and Terry (Vinlyguy) who provided parts to add the finishing touch to make my restorations true to the originals and to Bob Maynard who was the source for replacement Molex connectors to keep my 416H electrical system in top condition. 

As I move on, I guess I will have to get a golf cart (although I do not golf) to have something to tinker with.  I am sure there is an owners group for golf carts lurking out there, but I have yet to find it.  It will be a difficult task to find an owners forum as helpful as Red Square.

Cheers to all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 8

Tuneup

Sorry to see you go but, don't fret! I once repaired a golf cart that was Yamaha driven. There is no reason why you can't inject a nice K341 under that seat and retain the WH dream, including the wheelie potential. To heck with the noise. You need the added torque for that hill to the clubhouse :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Sarge

Find another member in the area - might be able to work out a storage/usage agreement for keeping a horse around, sort of like "boarding".....lol.

I know how it feels, selling the one thing I never wanted to let go - my '77 Land Cruiser FJ40. Just can't stand to drive it, work on it nor restore it anymore due to health, it's how life forces us to move on at times.

Sarge

• Like 2

lynnmor

A couple cans of Rust-Oleum Regal Red and some stickers from Terry will have that golf cart looking presentable.

• Like 5

Chris G

Well sorry to hear your horseless. But seems like your doing it for the better comfort of you and your loved one. But my thought is if you got a flower bed or two, then maybe a little suburban and a tub cart could be in your future. Once ya get settles in anyways. But best of luck to ya!

squonk

Everone's pimping out their golf carts these days. You'll be busy! :)

Sparky

You don’t have to own a WH to be a member here!!! Keep on checking in!

• Like 7

KC9KAS

@doc724 Enjoy your retirement and please visit us (:rs:) often!

• Like 2

Cvans

When I was installing the Yanmar Diesel into my Golf Cart there were some really nice people on this site. Maybe they can help you out someday. 

Enjoy your retirement. :)

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/

• Like 1

MarkS

Hopefully you can find a golf cart that will bring as much enjoyment as the ole horses did!

WHNJ701

when you come to a stop sign at the end of the road there is always a new direction to go

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

doc724
4 hours ago, Cvans said:

When I was installing the Yanmar Diesel into my Golf Cart there were some really nice people on this site. Maybe they can help you out someday. 

Enjoy your retirement. :)

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/

Thx, I will check into it.

I have seen one one or two custom carts with big block motors (Briggs Vanguard Twins seem to be popular) that have real clutches so the motor does not shutdown when you take your foot off the accelerator.  Ufortunately, golf carts are just not engineered to behave like cars so flipping them on turns and stopping them can be a challenge.  Most carts are governed to 20 mph, but owners sometimes bugger the governor to eek out a bit more speed.  When I follow a cart on my bicycle, I can tell who is "illegal" since I can cycle at 21-22 mph and if they out run me, they are cheating.

• Haha 2

wallfish
12 hours ago, doc724 said:

As I move on, I guess I will have to get a golf cart (although I do not golf) to have something to tinker with. 

Hold on a minute here!

A custom electric powered 2 seater Wheel Horse build will keep you busy and tinkering!

Or at least paint the new cart red with some added decals from Terry. That'll keep you in the game!

Cvans
1 hour ago, doc724 said:

Most carts are governed to 20 mph,

Yep mine is governed for 20 mph going down hill but that 2 cylinder diesel can get you there in short order. We live 3/4 mile from town and it hauls me there a lot when the weather permits. Pulls a sprayer and the grand-kids like it. Never been able to get the wife on it though. :( Maybe it's my driving. :P

Edited by Cvans

ClassicTractorProfessor

Hate to hear you've had to sell all your Horses, but sometimes life has a way of making us do things like that...hope you enjoy your retirement and can find some kind of project to tinker on...the golf cart is a good idea...I've seen some pretty awesome tricked out carts...don't be a stranger...come back in and see us here from time to time

• Like 1

leeave96

IMHO - you’re not done.  You have much experience and even without a Wheelhorse tractor in the shed, you should continue to post, sharing your knowledge with members, especially new members/Wheelhorse owners as they come onboard.

Enjoy you’re retirement - stay active and continue on here too.

Bill

• Like 2