Hobby10k

Hydrostatic surging while turning

Hobby10k

Just trying to get to the bottom of what’s going on. Have a 520xi.  While going forward, once I start turning the hydrostatic drive starts surging.  It doesn’t do this while backing and turning, only going forward and turning. 

Any ideas? Thanks in advance 

wallfish

:WRS:

4 hours ago, Hobby10k said:

Any ideas?

Just a guess since I'm unfamiliar with the 520xi but it seems there could be an issue at the rear axle hub(s). If one or both hubs are slipping on the key then the differential will grab and slip the axle in the hub which would give that condition.

• Excellent 1

squonk

Does this machine have power steering? 

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Does this machine have power steering? 

518 and 520xi does not have power steering only 520Lxi(Kawasaki liquid cooled) 522xi and 523Dxi models, but the 520xi does have the "smart steer" feature because of having "cruise control" which seems to cause issues such as @Hobby10k is having, much like what @wallfish has described with the hubs/keys, Jeff.

• Like 1

Hobby10k

No it doesn’t have power steering like what hillbilly said. So I’m assuming the “smart steer” explains the rod connected to the steering components that goes to the rear of the machine. I Couldn’t really figure out what that was for since it wasn’t doing anything. 

Does it or even need this smart steer rod on the machine? Can I just remove it? 

So hub hub key would be right on the axle between the axle and hub? Would be nice if that’s all it was 

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, Hobby10k said:

No it doesn’t have power steering like what hillbilly said. So I’m assuming the “smart steer” explains the rod connected to the steering components that goes to the rear of the machine. I Couldn’t really figure out what that was for since it wasn’t doing anything. 

Does it or even need this smart steer rod on the machine? Can I just remove it? 

So hub hub key would be right on the axle between the axle and hub? Would be nice if that’s all it was 

The "smart steer" feature works in conjunction with the the "cruise control" to slow the tractor down from set speed on straight line mowing at you turn in the corners so it doesn't flip the operator out of the seat, yes you can disconnect the linkage but wouldn't use the cruise control feature afterwards either, some where in another thread here on RedSquare someone else removed their smart steer feature, Jeff.

squonk

i was curious how smart steer works. 

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, squonk said:

i was curious how smart steer works. 

It not only slows the tractor when turning - but lowers accident liability.  :D

• Thanks 1

Hobby10k

I’m willing to bet if I remove that arm that the surging while turning will be cured. I’m going to do that and update if it fixes it. 

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, Hobby10k said:

I’m willing to bet if I remove that arm that the surging while turning will be cured. I’m going to do that and update if it fixes it. 

Careful, I found this:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/13-toro-wheelhorse-forum/309857-5xi-smart-turn-bypass-kit-why.html 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

shallowwatersailor

I doubt that this would affect the engine surging. By describing it as surging, do you mean cutting in and out? You may have a bad seat switch.

Here is the instructions and parts drawings for the delete kit.

3324-844.pdf

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Thanks 1

Hobby10k

No it’s not engine surging, the hydrostatic drive itself surges, slows down and then speeds up quickly (only when turning while going forward) 

thanks for the diagram shallowwater 

Edited by Hobby10k

WVHillbilly520H
3 minutes ago, Hobby10k said:

No it’s not engine surging, the hydrostatic drive itself surges, slows down and then speeds up quickly (only when turning while going forward) 

Here's something to check, the 520xi I had briefly the frame to transaxle mounting bolts were ALL loose from dragging a 60" deck over 3+ acres for 1200 hours, after tightening them all up made a huge improvement not to mention pulling the right rear tire and adjusting the "neutral" on the motion control cam for the hydro, Jeff.

• Like 2

Hobby10k
4 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

That’s good to know!!  I wonder if this has anything to do with why the tractor stays slightly in reverse while it’s supposed to be in neutral while sitting 

Careful, I found this:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/13-toro-wheelhorse-forum/309857-5xi-smart-turn-bypass-kit-why.html 

WNYPCRepair
43 minutes ago, Hobby10k said:

You definitely need to remove the right rear tire and adjust the neutral position, as Jeff said. I need to as well, hoping to do it tomorrow. I also ordered a smart turn disable kit

• Thanks 1

Hobby10k

I’ll order that kit... where did you order it from? 

WNYPCRepair
10 hours ago, Hobby10k said:

I’ll order that kit... where did you order it from? 

Cheapest I found

https://sleequipment.com/toro-genuine-part-smart-turn-disable-kit-private-label-riders-104-5051.html#product_tabs_advancedreviews_product_additional_data

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

I have both a 520xi and 522xi.  The smart steering on my 520xi works just fine, but 522xi was driving me nuts.  When I made a turn the tractor would almost stop and then as I slowly came out of the turn it would speed up again.  It was just slowing the tractor way too much. I tried every adjustment on the linkage, followed the manual, but could not get the smart steer where I wanted it.  One adjustment would not get to where the manual said it should be. So I disconnected the linkage from the steering up front and to to hydro linkage on the Eaton 1100.  Then I pinned the the open linkage arm at the rear to the frame. (used a bolt and some fender washers, and some regular washers as spacers).  That really helped the tractor.  No smart steer, but a big improvement for driving.  I don't use cruise control, so that is not an issue.

I did purchase the defeat kit, but never did install it. 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I adjusted neutral, helped a bit. I'll do the kit once it arrives.

gwest_ca

Click on the picture.

2 files on the smart steer delete kit