clarence

problem starter

clarence

Hello

I am trying to find out the part number for a starter on my 4000 Genset Onan generator Model 4BGEFA2600J Serial number C033004823 without having to pull it out and then order would like to be able to have new one in my hand so when the one old comes off new can go on would appreciate any info I know this has nothing to do with wheel horse but have read numerous post on Onan parts and thought I would give it a chance.

Thanks clarence

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

Seems as though with model and serial numbers in hand most small engine repair shops should be able to help you.

Are there multiple starters listed?

Sarge

I believe this is the manual for that engine group - you'll have to identify your current starter as either a GEN1 or GEN2 model for the correct replacement. There are also rebuild kits available...

http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/965-0232 Onan BGE (spec A-E) BGEL (spec B-D) Emerald I RV GenSet Parts Manual (01-1990).pdf

Sarge

• Like 1

clarence

Thank you Sarge for the information was hoping this would not be the case having multiple choices as this unit is in a motorhome and is not work on friendly as you can feel the starter but not see. I guess I will try ebinmaine suggestion and give a call to a dealer and see what they can tell me maybe they can help out with this. thanks again

Sarge

Almost every genset I've worked on in motorhomes was on a tray of some sort. Biggest trick is always getting it disconnected from it's home in/on the vehicle. Once that's done - remove it to work on the engine, plain and simple. That's why the huge bill every time some little thing goes south on these generators - you're mostly paying some poor soul to pull the thing out, fix it and re-install it. Most bury the starter side to the back as well - they give you no choice. I did run across a model that I can't recall the specifics, but there was an access panel on the inside of the coach - that was sweet and had the repairs done in less than an hour. 

This is the reason you never want to buy a generator used out of a motorhome - they rarely, if ever get any maintenance work done on them like oil changes and especially air filters. One note about a non-working starter - most times it's the wiring in the coach in the relay switches, contacts and wire ends being corroded, it's rarely the starter itself.

Sarge

onanparts.com
20 hours ago, clarence said:

Thank you Sarge for the information was hoping this would not be the case having multiple choices as this unit is in a motorhome and is not work on friendly as you can feel the starter but not see. I guess I will try ebinmaine suggestion and give a call to a dealer and see what they can tell me maybe they can help out with this. thanks again

191-2416 is the current part number for your starter. It Supersedes/Replaces the early 191-1667 part number. The 191-2416 fits all of the BGE gensets. 99.9% of all genuine Onan replacement parts are still made in the US. However, this particular starter is made in China. The OEM version is not made in the same factory as the cheap ebay/amazon ones. I've compared them side by side and the genuine version is of a much better build quality. Are they worth 5X as much? Depends on if it's easy or difficult to swap one out. In an RV, not easy unfortunately. YMMV.