Rancid Polecat

The 875 Of Destruction

Rancid Polecat

So the 875 I posted about in the electrical forum is now running and driving with it's rebuilt, albeit ugly, wiring harness. The issue now is that the friction plates holding tension on the plastic shiftamathingy are tightened to the max and the plastic is worn worn down significantly.  If I attempt to adjust or work on anything while it is running it may, while my back is turned, gleefully drive away, to the detriment of things like garage doors, flower beds, small children, dogs, fine art and alcoholic beverages. I assume parts are NLA.  Has anyone attempted a workaround, maybe building up the plastic with epoxy or tweaking the steel plates?

wfrpalm

Mine was the same way. I cut two small strips from a 20" inner tube, they look like rubber bands, and put them over the friction plates. I also think some type of rubberized coating might work. Good luck, post if you have another solution.

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, Rancid Polecat said:

shiftamathingy

, while my back is turned,

Your verbations are fabtaboulous !!

I don't have a solution... Others will chime in later I'm sure.....

I can tell you..... Never Never Never turn your back on anything with a shiftamathingy.

:ROTF:

• Haha 1

gwest_ca

Here is a parts list with illustrations. Educate me with the item or part number you need.

Garry

Sarge

The nylon slider for any of the Sundstrand transmissions should be available. Early versions in the '60s mostly used a pair of long screws with springs to keep a certain amount of tension on the plate - the adjustment is under the care section of the manual, step 8 to set the screw tension. That version of the linkage is well known for "wandering off" - never, ever get off that machine with it running and the transmission drive belt engaged - that's just asking for an accident. In fact, any automatic that has a lever to engage/disengage/parking brake should be in the off position before leaving the machine, running or not since they can also roll down a hill if the pump isn't up to par. Even clear up into the later model C's the owners/operators manual will tell you to always engage the parking brake to avoid the machine running off...

Sarge

Rancid Polecat

It sounds like some re-engineering is in order. I'm thinking more surface area on the friction plates, and maybe a locking latch on the frame to hold the lever securely in neutral might be a good idea. Can't say I'm a fan of the "parking brake". That's a job for later, in Saratoga Springs for a soccer showcase all weekend,at a motel hosting a firematics completion. Since the the siren-wailing,beer-drinking, cornhole playing, and fireworks lighting went late, we watched from the balcony while enjoying many many vodka lemonades. Might be a long day.