cgambino1018

Hydro low on power

cgambino1018

Newbie here 

Have a 199x 520 hydro for about 1/2 year and it seems to be loosing power.  

I pull a vac as I cut and the slope is about 25 degree grade.  

I have never had a hydro before so not sure where to start.  The oil stick under the seat shows enough oil.  When on flat ground it moves ok.  It's very apparent when going up the slope with the vac full.   

Any suggestions is appreciated

Chris

WVHillbilly520H

I would pull the seat/fender pan you would be surprised how much "gunk" gets accumulated in top of the hydro pump/fins, and give that area a proper cleaning then change oil and filter any 10w30 motor oil most here prefer synthetics and a NAPA/Wix 1410 filter, I prefer the Toro filter myself, Jeff. (pictures were of a 230 hour machine)

IMAG2020.jpg

IMAG2017.jpg

• Sad 1

cgambino1018

Thanks for the input the oil and filter are about 5 hrs old.  Any chance I screwed something up with the oil change?

WVHillbilly520H
5 minutes ago, cgambino1018 said:

Thanks for the input the oil and filter are about 5 hrs old.  Any chance I screwed something up with the oil change?

I wouldn't think so, but did it have this issue before the oil change? Here's the simple way to check the effectiveness of the hydro...after warming it up a bit by driving around normally and using the lift (up and down) pull up to a curb or landscape log or something like that a see if you can get the rear tires to spin/break traction if so it's OK under, if you can't do this then chaining it to a tree or other non movable object for the same test, now if it doesn't spin the tires yes it's weak, also the engine needs to be run right at or near full throttle to keep the fan moving air over the pump so it doesn't get hot, Jeff.

1995 520H+96+97

Check the tension of the drive belt. We like pictures.:D

• Like 1

cgambino1018

Thanks for the input. Away in PA right now.  Will look into during the week.  

cgambino1018

ok tried the test against the tree.  The tires did not spin.  Took the chair and back panel off.  It looked pretty clean.  See pics below.    

Just to be thorough I checked the dip stick.  it is DRY.. yes I am an idiot.  I will put a 1/2 qt in tomorrow and try again. 

For my knowledge, if its the belt that is slipping is there a place to tighten it or do i just replace it?

Thanks

Chris 

file.jpeg

file1.jpeg

Sparky

What filter did you use? Just because it fits doesn't mean it's the correct filter. Filters used on our car engines are different than what the Eaton 1000 hydro requires.

cgambino1018

The hydro oil filter was from a toro replacement parts website.  Dont remember the name but its all black (Hope that helps).  

One bit of info that I remembered last night was it seems weaker when I first start it.  As I cut the grass it seems to be a stronger.  Going up the grade it still  slows down when warm but not as much.   

Will try again against the tree tonight (with more oil in the hydro).  

Thx for all the suggestions. 

cgambino1018

With the dipstick showing proper oil level power is back.  I cut the wet grass yesterday (Yes I know cutting wet grass is bad)  after I put in about 1/3 of a qt.   

Wouldnt think that little amount of oil would make such a difference.  Will keep an eye on it since it ran fine for a couple of cuts. 

I will try the test against the tree this weekend to confirm it can spin the tires.

Also is there a belt that may be slipping also?   If so can it be tightened or do i just replace the belt?

WVHillbilly520H
11 hours ago, cgambino1018 said:

Also is there a belt that may be slipping also?   If so can it be tightened or do i just replace the belt?

There is only the main drive belt from the engine to the hydro pump, it has a spring tensioned idler pulley no other way to tighten slack other than replacing the belt which is easier to do with the right rear tire removed to get the hydro fan off, Jeff.

IMAG2034.jpg

• Like 1

cgambino1018

Had a few minutes to try the tree test again.  Oil level is proper per the stick.  Up against the tree a single tire was spinning with full throttle.   I should be good for now.  Thanks again everyone.

Chris