Coulter Caleb

The 854--Comanche

Coulter Caleb

That’s what I’ve been telling @PeacemakerJack:teasing-poke:!!! Someone had been procrastinating!

• Haha 6

953 nut
8 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

those little problems will go away

Seems the "Like Limit" remains. I ran into that right after the "Big Show". seems I liked too much!

• Like 1

Racinbob

Somehow I missed this thread until now. What a cool story. The big grin you had when it arrived at the show and you were being towed back to do the little things needed to get her fired up was priceless. For me, seeing young men like you get so excited about these old machines is the best part of it. Meeting you and your Dad was one of the my highlights of the big show this year. Your Dad 'sneaking' that 5/16" bolt into the front axle pin on the 854 I purchased was pretty cool. :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

19richie66

Exactly!!!

Chris T

Nice looking 854 Caleb!! I think @Sparky was just trying to put that new trailer to use some :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

Caleb got the opportunity to do some plowing yesterday afternoon with Comanche for the first time and my dad’s old Bolens “sod bottom” plow.

03A904A6-B9AB-4F28-BD69-FC0D808D0347.jpeg.888287036181ebcfb68d8b6068169306.jpeg 

Those of you that followed our 875 resto thread saw that plow in multiple old converted slide pictures from the 1970’s. It’s been turning soil much longer than I’ve been around.  It cuts an amazingly clean and square furrow and seems to pull pretty easy, of course my sandy loam soil doesn’t plow hard anyway.  Caleb and I had a ton of fun playing on the 54 year old horse and it was certainly up to the task!E37D39F5-ED3C-4089-A837-9F77935B0288.jpeg.934d4998807938d5df1b3bdbb7db2a54.jpeg

The garden was our old strawberry garden that needed to be tilled under and prepared for next spring.

DD3F95BA-4D43-4371-A4D5-98701C9C3872.jpeg.36161038b680869cb7972b91bcb33a2d.jpeg

Caleb is a lot lighter than I am even at 14 years old.  I was plowing without any additional weight to strike out and make the first two passes. Then Caleb jumped on and made it about 10’ before spinning out!

C450A505-53E8-4935-B8B7-2987E9891BD8.jpeg.1739ac664257c3c100ae5a5ed41d2eca.jpeg

So, back to the shed and add the 80# land side weight. Then he was good to go.  I took a video that I’ll try to post later...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart
On 7/6/2018 at 1:26 PM, Coulter Caleb said:

So today at the job site we were waiting for a door to arrive, while we were waiting I went on the forum and gave likes to some great posts.Then all of the sudden it says I can’t give any more likes today.

You know what I say to that...

307B6884-7EBF-4B7D-90B0-605EBDB71298.jpeg.cf44c7c3ee31988ec1fea2cfd8044d0a.jpeg

Anybody else share my thoughts?!?!Can’t a guy share some likes around here!?!?:angry-banghead: 

35 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Caleb got the opportunity to do some plowing yesterday afternoon with Comanche for the first time and my dad’s old Bolens “sod bottom” plow.

03A904A6-B9AB-4F28-BD69-FC0D808D0347.jpeg.888287036181ebcfb68d8b6068169306.jpeg 

Those of you that followed our 875 resto thread saw that plow in multiple old converted slide pictures from the 1970’s. It’s been turning soil much longer than I’ve been around.  It cuts an amazingly clean and square furrow and seems to pull pretty easy, of course my sandy loam soil doesn’t plow hard anyway.  Caleb and I had a ton of fun playing on the 54 year old horse and it was certainly up to the task!E37D39F5-ED3C-4089-A837-9F77935B0288.jpeg.934d4998807938d5df1b3bdbb7db2a54.jpeg

The garden was our old strawberry garden that needed to be tilled under and prepared for next spring.

DD3F95BA-4D43-4371-A4D5-98701C9C3872.jpeg.36161038b680869cb7972b91bcb33a2d.jpeg

Caleb is a lot lighter than I am even at 14 years old.  I was plowing without any additional weight to strike out and make the first two passes. Then Caleb jumped on and made it about 10’ before spinning out!

C450A505-53E8-4935-B8B7-2987E9891BD8.jpeg.1739ac664257c3c100ae5a5ed41d2eca.jpeg

So, back to the shed and add the 80# land side weight. Then he was good to go.  I took a video that I’ll try to post later...

I gotta say Caleb, you look better with a Wheelhorse in your pictures!  Great work in the garden, I’m sure you’ve got a pretty alright coach!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

AMC RULES
15 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I gotta say Caleb, you look better with a Wheelhorse in your pictures!  Great work in the garden. 

:text-yeahthat:   :text-goodpost:    :text-+1:

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Here is the promised video.

Hope you guys enjoy.  @prondzy you were right, very fun tractor to plow with.  @Sparky and @AMC RULEShard to believe watching the video that the paint is mostly original on this thing...shines up nicely for sure. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

AMC RULES

:eusa-clap: Awesome video for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Hope you guys enjoy.  @prondzy you were right, very fun tractor to plow with.  @Sparky and @AMC RULEShard to believe watching the video that the paint is mostly original on this thing...shines up nicely for sure. 

Man or man, what a cut!  That’s a way to put some arms on that boy Josh :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Sparky

Very impressive!! 

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

1 hour ago, pullstart said:

That’s a way to put some arms on that boy Josh :handgestures-thumbupright:

Caleb is too used to the hydraulic lift on his JackRabbit now and so he had to flex some under used muscles to manually lift that plow. :teasing-poke:Hopefully he can bulk up a little over the winter and will be able to work that with a little more ease...:D

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Sounds like old "Santa" :teasing-poke: ...

Related image

...should bring Caleb a nice HY-2 unit for Christmas.   :rolleyes:   :text-woo:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Caleb is too used to the hydraulic lift on his JackRabbit now and so he had to flex some under used muscles to manually lift that plow. :teasing-poke:Hopefully he can bulk up a little over the winter and will be able to work that with a little more ease...:D

Push-ups and pull-ups man. Push-ups and Pull-Ups.

Orrr....

Hey Caleb why don't you go put the weights on the back of that tractor.

Done?

Hey Caleb why don't you go take the weights off the back of that tractor.

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

Seriously though. Well done!

Maybe someday I'll get a plot of land here in New England where I don't have a crop of pure rocks and stones and granite...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: You would love plowing! Definitely don’t want lots of rocks in it though...that would be frustrating!  

I shouldve had Caleb put on and off the weights:eusa-think:next time!

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

@Coulter Caleb, don't know if dad @PeacemakerJack has given you this little tip when lifting the plow at the end of the furrow, but here's my tip " put the :wh: in reverse back up about 6-10" and that plow will lift so much better" maybe even be a 1 arm bandit  vs the 2 arm lift me off the seat struggle, other than that looked like "perfect" fun rolling sod and dirt !

• Like 5

Howie

Back when I plowed more with my 12hp I would grab the lift lever and take the slack out of it when got close to the end.When the tractor

came up out of the furrow plow would be about to the top of the unplowed ground. Hurt my shoulder doing it like Caleb. Couldn't even

begin to do it his way today at my age!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Terry M

Pretty Cool seeing an 854 plowing a furrow!! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Coulter Caleb

Hey guys it has been a while since I have posted in this topic. Since we’ve had that tank leaking we couldn’t really do anything with Comanche. Then we bought a one piece tank from @Lane Ranger at the Portage show. :thanks:   So we could have fixed him then but never got around to it... 4 months later @prondzy asked me if I could bring Comanche to @WHX24‘s Plow Day. So now we have to do it now.:teasing-poke:

Comanche’s paint is now a brownish red from years of use. so we have decided to paint the tank an antique red. That is this afternoons project for me:tools-hammerdrill:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

AMC RULES

:wwp:   :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

prondzy

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1