SylvanLakeWH

Wheel Barrow Conversion to Trailer

SylvanLakeWH

Picked this wheel barrow from neighbor's trash last week. One broken handle apparently meant it was "trash"...

Tore down and will be converting to a Wheel Horse style dump cart. Still in design phase...Trying to do it with only materials on hand in my garage "stockpile" of junk spare parts and other necessities...in other words - FREE. (One exception - I will be painting it red and getting some :wh: graphics for it...)

Will post progress as I go along...

Oh - my helper's name is Denali. Great shop dog!

IMG_2086.JPG.8be9d6b8eb20d333280860a4c18d7ff4.JPG

• Like 5

953 nut
10 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

"stockpile" of junk spare parts and other necessities

I fabricated one from my valuable parts inventory a few years back, handy little thing and cost me nothing. When I tow it around at the flea market the sellers feel sorry for me and the price is more negotiable!           :ychain:

004.JPG.55f97c369c1468adc2e2cfa3509c3cad.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I fabricated one from my valuable parts inventory a few years back, handy little thing and cost me nothing. When I tow it around at the flea market the sellers feel sorry for me and the price is more negotiable!           :ychain:

LOVE IT! But - Flea market sellers are one thing...you should have seen my wife's face when I picked it from the trash and "towed" it home with one broken handle...She did not "feel sorry" for me...I'm thinking more along the lines of "oh...my...gosh...what...have...I...been...married...to...all...these...years?...." Of course, my other neighbor came out and proceeded to high five me for the "great score" and said he was eyeing it himself...

Of course, my lovely bride just rolled her eyes even more...

BTW - I like your logic - maybe I won't paint it...make it crooked... bend it up a bit while I'm at it...two different wheels...oh the possibilities are endless when there is literally no budget...:think:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

tarcoleo

I pay too much on stuff at flea markets with this rig.

100_2486.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

This is an awesome idea!

@953 nut yours is fantastic as well.

@tarcoleo... Love it.

I'm going to follow along on this thread because I actually have a wheelbarrow out behind my shed that is about 3 weeks older than dirt that used to be long to my grandfather. I haven't had the heart to throw it away even though there hasn't been a front tire on the rotted out wooden frame in 20 or 30 years. Steel tub is solid as a rock. This would be a great usage for that thing.

• Like 2

tarcoleo

Eric-  All you need to convert the barrow to a trailer is a visit to Harbour Freight for wheels, a 5/8" rod,

U-bolts, shaft collars, and steel for a tow bar.  Not seen in my photo are two small wheels towards the

front so that the rig can also be pulled along by hand without a prime mover.  When attached to a PM,

the small wheels clear the ground.

Edited by tarcoleo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Digger 66
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

This is an awesome idea!

Yes ^^^^

If you fab up the hinge area with a dump trailer in mind  , you should be able to incorporate some sort of arrangement using threaded rod or something to be spun by a cordless drill.

^^Just throwing some ideas out there ^^

• Like 2

tarcoleo

Hey Digger66,
The rig is light enough to be able to dump contents without special provision.  BTW, you could use small  hose clamps

to secure the wheels to the axle instead of shaft collars.  This wagon is really utilitarian for odd yard jobs.

Edited by tarcoleo
  • Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Got a lot accomplished today!

Done with the build. Paint may be a while and some special decals are on order from @Vinylguy. Will post paint and decal progress in the future.

In the mean-time it is functional and does everything I meant for it to do. Only cost was the tires, axle, 2 shaft collars and decals. Around $50 total. Old wheel barrow, stuff in the garage and a fence I am removing provided everything else.

Decided not do a "dump" design. With this design I simply pull the pin and tip. Allows a much better dump of material - more like a wheel barrow - then re pin to the hitch...simple and no moving parts to break or be the "weak link"...

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Looks great!

Simple design.

Used what you had around.

Excellent.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Progress today - Primed and first coat of Regal Red... Hope to finish paint tomorrow and put her all together so I can put the decals on when they get here - they shipped today! Expect them Monday! Thank You to RS vendor REDOYOURHORSE.com!!!

IMG_2126.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

Done with everything except the decals! They come Monday!

I'm happy with it!

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

DONE!!!

Decals came early!

Thank you @Vinylguy!!! They are perfect!

I am quite happy with it on all levels - rides perfect and I think it looks great!

Thanks for following along!

fullsizeoutput_1443.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1442.jpeg

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

Nice job along with a good sense of humor :USA:

• Like 3

19richie66

Love it!

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

My quality control / comfort testing crew finally showed up for field trials on the new trailer...

By all accounts it passed with flying colors!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a86.jpg.5242a86cb08ff8bd8e7decd5b0aacf15.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a85.jpg.cb988f8efee7122da9c0f41d967c7edc.jpg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2