Ephillips2582

I’m not sure what model I have!

Ephillips2582

Hi folks! I’m a brand spanking new wheel horse owner. My family and I just moved to Tennessee from Florida. We’ve got 6 acres, and didn’t have a mower for the 2 acres of yard. I happened across an old wheel horse at, what I felt, was a good deal. She’s not pretty. But I prefer older stuff, just easier to work on. As the old saying goes “they don’t make them like they used to”. She was a little rough starting, but ran like a top for the couple of hours I was running her. So yesterday I pulled the battery, starter and relay. Have a new battery and relay, and having the starter rebuilt locally. The problem I have encountered is that I don’t know the model or year. I can’t find a badge anywhere on her. I’ve looked exterior and all over the motor. All I can tell you is it has a Kohler twin 17. Pictures below of the rest of her. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. 

654BDF9D-AE57-441F-8820-9298F3F0BDD0.jpeg

D3E0123F-D1B5-4EE9-823A-8ECC6CEAF230.jpeg

2456DB75-D7EB-4991-B5BE-3C289B3EB5CF.jpeg

87813E41-1A40-474E-B5A3-652F02BC46B7.jpeg

8D229F66-96BD-47E2-B2C2-504FA4CCB850.jpeg

718DC27A-9A47-461C-B279-D8EA835E60EE.jpeg

• Like 3

Sparky

What you have is a C-175 automatic. Made from 1980 to 1984.

Does the tranny fluid filter point towards the rear or the side of the tranny? That will narrow down the year a bit..to the side is an early 1980 and to the rear is a late 1980-1984.

Is the model# tag still attached under the dash? Close to the hydro lift lever?

• Like 1

midpack

looks like a nice clean series I Kohler in a C-175. mu guess is it's a Sundstrand hydro (can't see the filter in the back end shot)

looks like you could use a muffler too

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

C-175, not sure of the year, cant see rear good. Its a fine machine. Like mine. :lol:

BTW.   :text-welcomeconfetti::wh:.   

Glenn

Ephillips2582

Excellent! Thanks all of you for your input. 

-I did not see a badge under the dash. 

-It has a muffler. That pic was post disassembly for the starter. So it was already taken off. 

-does the pic below help?

BCFE3676-7934-437F-A71C-D74B0DEF79FD.jpeg

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

1980 was the first year the C-175 had an Eaton Trans.  Need the model number from the tag.

peter lena

welcome and thanks for the pictures, just a heads up on that starter, found using " fluid film " on the starter drive twist and the drive gear itself makes for a very fast and smooth starter, the gear lube will eventually get to all the flywheel teeth, and you will notice a smooth and quick spin up on your new starter, pete

midpack
20 hours ago, Ephillips2582 said:

Excellent! Thanks all of you for your input. 

-I did not see a badge under the dash. 

-It has a muffler. That pic was post disassembly for the starter. So it was already taken off. 

-does the pic below help?

BCFE3676-7934-437F-A71C-D74B0DEF79FD.jpeg

Looks like an Eaton hydro. Could be a later C-175. You could try to hone in on the year with the engine tag. Looks like an original series I Kohler 

Ephillips2582

Awesome input from all. Got the starter back today. I’ll be looking for fluid film now. Then assembly and see how she goes.