Sign in to follow this  
Chris1055

Kohler 181 runs strong but pops alittle

Chris1055

Hi guys. As I’m going through this tractor to get everything mechanically set. I’d figure I ask you about this. The motor runs very strong. It was sitting for a long time before I got it did the normal carb kit adjusted to book specs then tuned. Replaced fuel lines filter. Just didn’t put points or plug in as it fires right up. Actually I’m impressed right now because I don’t have to choke it on a cold start in the ct summer. But when it runs on any speed from idle to high rpm. It’s sporadically has little pops. It’s really more of a nuisance really I’d like to have it cleared up. I can say it’s definitely not starving for fuel. And the throttle arm stays put it doesn’t surge. Any little tricks or recommendations would be very helpful.

thanks, Chris 

WHNJ701

marvel mystery oil

• Thanks 1

recklessridr

try an EXHAUST BREATHALYZER.   most shops have one on hand,, it is a quick test,, and will show you a lean condition.  checking the sparking plug,, old school,, will not always show a rich / lean condition,, because of the new fuel formulas.   GROSSLY rich  will of course show as fouling.  lean burn doesn't show as clearly.

• Thanks 1

Daddy Don

If the above  don't work check you point setting. 

• Thanks 1

Chris1055

I just pulled the spark plug it’s fouled pretty bad. And looks like a lot of build up inside. I never thought about this probably because when I bought it. The head was cleaned and looked like a brand new head gasket. I pulled it out and the spark plug is a j19LM. I thought these were j8c? Well I thinking know to pull the head just to see what she looks like. 

Chris1055

49411EDC-B1DA-4C14-9EDD-7AD6923D5BB3.jpeg

JoeM

Looks pretty dark, when you screw the main jet in then out is there a difference?

Chris1055

Just cuts out if you turn to bottom out or unscrew all the way. As I said it runs strong on all rpm range but when it gets to mid to high. It’s as intermittent, pop pop pop. It diesnt slow the motor any. But I really don’t have a load on it. Points look really worn. Wondering if I should get a set. I don’t know if that would really help with a new spark plug. I cleaned the carb thoroughly today. And It’s clean as a whistle. I wish I could post a video. 

gwest_ca

I would put the proper plug in properly gapped along with some Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel and run it. Give it a chance.

Garry

• Thanks 1

JoeM

Replacing worn points, you can't go wrong. It can be the difference. 

Recheck that main jet screw to make sure end is not damaged. Sometimes people screw them in to tight and cause deformation. 

• Thanks 1

MarkS

I really don't know if it is the same or not. I've had the same pop sound on my C-125 and a push mower. It went away after messing with the fuel air ratio. Maybe there is something that is throwing that off with yours??