Horse Play

Valve Stems for Fluid

Horse Play

I need opinions if it's worth using the valve stems made for filling tires with fluid.  I just sandblasted and painted my rear wheels for my 857 and am getting ready to install new Carlisle Turf Savers.  For plowing snow, I've been thinking about filling the tires with ballast.  

Is it worth doing?  Is there a trustworthy, reliable brand?

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Horse Play

BOB ELLISON

Yes buy the valve you have to belch the air out when you fill them and the valve helps to do that. I filled my c-160 tires with RV antifreeze and I love it.

But I would suggest adding tubes when you fill them just in case. Anything liquid will eventually rust the metal the tubes eliminate the liquid  from touching the metal. I think it added 46 lb per tire made a world of difference with traction and chains

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@BOB ELLISON

Where did you get that valve?

I've got several tires I may fill myself this year.

KC9KAS

@Horse Play Are you asking about the fluid valve to replace the valve stem, or the valve that is used to fill the tire with fluid?

I would use a tube and have a little insurance against the fluid eating away at the rims, thus not needing the valve stems made for fluid.

dells68

@ebinmaine at home we can get them at Tractor Supply.  I would think Farm and Fleet, Rural King, etc... would have them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BOB ELLISON

Yes Dells68 is right tractor supply has them as others also.

• Like 1

Horse Play

Thanks, I'll go with tubes.

• Like 1

953 nut

One added word of caution. When you are adding the fluid to the tires with tubes be sure to use vice-grips on the valve stem. The tube becomes very heavy and the valve stem can slide into the hole and wedge the fill device into the hole.    Don't ask me how I know this, I just know!

pacer

I agree on using tubes! Once you have removed a tire off a rim that had fill in it and see the awful damage it can do to a rim - even destroy it - youll quickly see why to go with tubes!

The vise grips on the valve is wise any time when installing a tube - like nut says "dont ask me how I know!"

• Haha 1