Dadlife520H

Need help with mower spindle

Dadlife520H

Was mowing, heard some strange noises coming from my 48sd...

So long story short...  one of the washers the center blade sits between went away? And the blade was loose. I attempted to take the blade off and the nut was seized. Once I got the nut off, I was left with this.... is there an off birand spindle that is a replacement for the oem part or will I be forced to spend $125 each for new spindles? The other two nuts are seized as well. 

IMG_2629.JPG

WVHillbilly520H

I don't believe there are any non OE spindles available, Try contacting @A-Z Tractor in our vendors section for some used replacements ,as well check eBay or if by chance you're close and going to the Big Show, Jeff.

• Like 1

Jerry77

hate to show my ignorance, but I would try running a die over the bolt....very slowly and very carefully and maybe it would work ...or maybe not...the others that are seized could be heated to loosen the rust, but you would have to be careful of getting the bearing too hot...If you could get ahold of some dry ice you could freeze the base of the shaft and apply a smoke wrench ( # 1 tip ) and get the nuts off without hurting the bearing...we did this many times in industry to get off stubborn nuts..if you haven't used dry ice before, read up on it and be very careful with it...will freeze your skin in a hurry..if you are inventive, you could use ice and achieve the same result by setting the deck upside down...I think you can save the other 2...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

Dadlife520H

This unfortunately was the aftermath of heating the first one. Lol.   

Im not sure if there is enough thread left to run a die. But I'll try anything to save a few bucks. 

And and I was hoping to make it down to the show but my work schedule just didn't pan out. 

Jerry77

Bummer

gwest_ca

You have a thread or two that looks OK which is required to use a thread file. You register the file in a couple of good threads and file away at the next ones to it working your way around the shaft.

Garry

Thread_restoring_file.JPG

• Like 2

pacer

A spindle can be made fairly easily --- if --- you have, or know of someone who has a metal lathe & mill. I have made 2 of them for hard to find, expensive, non existent, etc....

That one can even be saved by welding over the stripped threads and take it back to size on a lathe and rethread.

But, that beyond most peoples ability. There are usually spindles on the bay, keep an eye out for them ...

We will HAVE to become more and more inventive? as our parts become more and more scarce

7mill. I have made 3 of them so far

• Like 2

Dadlife520H

Do the 48 and 42 use the same spindles? I have a 42 I could sacrifice for parts until I find a decent replacement for it? 

daveoman1966

Two types of spindles for these decks.  Either type will fit either the 42 or 48" decks, but the top pulleys are, of course, different OD. 

One spindle style uses a WOODRUFF key on the pulley end, which is 3/4" diameter...for a 3/4" ID pulley.

The other style, WITHOUT the woodruff key has a shaft pulley-end diameter of only 5/8", for a pulley with 5/8" ID.

I have, in hand, a good shaft that uses the WOODRUFF key on the pulley end.  Not new, but in good condition and very useable.  

For pic and a price, ask me at the following email address:

daveoman@windstream.net 

if you need ONLY the spindle shaft, I have a USED one in the WOODRUFF key design shown here.

42-48 shaft 005.JPG

42-48 shaft 004.JPG

Edited by daveoman1966

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, Dadlife520H said:

Do the 48 and 42 use the same spindles? I have a 42 I could sacrifice for parts until I find a decent replacement for it? 

Yes you can.

• Like 1

Dadlife520H

The deck I have has the 5/8" pulley. 

stumplifter

Go here,

the file shows up funny in my iPad, let me know if you desire it in a different form.  Should be able to take it to a local machine shop/ trade school and have it made relatively cheap.