ebinmaine

Dog Point set screws. Should I buy, or can I make them?

ebinmaine

I'm not sure why but it seems like a dog Point set screw in Portland Maine area is approximately as common as hen's teeth and there are not very many of them around. Trust me.

Should I order them online? If so, where??

Or, can I just buy a couple of standard set screws at a big box store and Chuck them into a drill and very carefully and slowly grind them on the bench grinder??

Thanks folks!

Kenneth R Cluley

Best on-line is Mcmaster Carr. Have variety and fast shipping. I would not recommend grinding as outside of screw is hardened and inside is not as hard. you would grind away the hard area and expose the softer interior.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

outside of screw is hardened and inside is not as hard. you would grind away the hard area and expose the softer interior.

I was kind of wondering about that.

The screws are kind of prone to breakage anyways and I don't need any help with that.

:)

Digger 66

Are they SAE ?

Grainger may also have them if you prefer local buying .

ebinmaine
Just now, Digger 66 said:

Grainger may also have them if you prefer local buying .

They list them but it takes a week for them to get them.

I was hoping for this weekend...

CasualObserver

most hardware stores around me carry them in the specialty fasteners aisle...  set screw...1/4-20 3/4" long.

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

most hardware stores around me carry them

You would think that would be the case here but for whatever reason the state of Maine is completely devoid of these things.

CasualObserver

in that case I think I'd make an emergency one to use through the weekend and order one from rcpw , jacks or parts tree or something.  Part number is #1239 I believe... I don't know the jam nut number though.

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

in that case I think I'd make an emergency one to use through the weekend and order one from rcpw , jacks or parts tree or something.  Part number is #1239 I believe... I don't know the jam nut number though.

Super cool. Thanks! I'll check that out. No worries on the jam nut. I have a couple of them here anyway.

I've called or stopped in to at least 6 places here locally and not found them.....

Racinbob

Fasenal can get them for you quickly or even have them in stock. 1/4" x 20 x 3/4" dog point, not standard set screws. Cheap for a package of 10. :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine

That's who the hardware store recommended.

I'll call them tomorrow.

gwest_ca

Grind a dog-point on a socket head cap screw. Someone recently posted that they are Gr8.

Garry

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
19 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Grind a dog-point on a socket head cap screw. Someone recently posted that they are Gr8.

Garry

Yes that's what they tell use at work that the socket head cap screws are grade 8. And you could just grind your dog-point on a standard set screw.   Guess I could fire up the lathe at work and make a few (100) to help everyone out here :techie-hourglass:.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes that's what they tell use at work that the socket head cap screws are grade 8. And you could just grind your dog-point on a standard set screw.

How much concern is there of losing the heat treatment or hardness of the bolt while I'm grinding?

Should I just take my time and do it slowly and keep dipping it in cold water?

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

How much concern is there of losing the heat treatment or hardness of the bolt while I'm grinding?

Should I just take my time and do it slowly and keep dipping it in cold water?

That will help a lot if you get it red hot from grinding then you went to fast but oil to help cool will actually help more than water.

pfrederi
16 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yes that's what they tell use at work that the socket head cap screws are grade 8. And you could just grind your dog-point on a standard set screw.   Guess I could fire up the lathe at work and make a few (100) to help everyone out here :techie-hourglass:.

They are only 32 cents each....

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

They are only 32 cents each....

Hey Paul...... Where are you buying them?

Edited by ebinmaine

jebbear

This is what I did, really easy to do and seemed to work pretty well. I didn't have a problem with the initial cost of these things, but the shipping they wanted was ridiculous for something that could have been thrown into an envelope & mailed.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/73715-my-856-project/?do=findComment&comment=712938

• Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, jebbear said:

This is what I did, really easy to do and seemed to work pretty well. I didn't have a problem with the initial cost of these things, but the shipping they wanted was ridiculous for something that could have been thrown into an envelope & mailed.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/73715-my-856-project/?do=findComment&comment=712938

I was going to mention that as when reloading ammo I use my drill at my lathe...but I did whittle out a dozen dig-point set screws earlier while at work, Jeff.

15296052935043667310712666953234.jpg

pfrederi
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Hey Paul...... Where are you buying them?

McMaster my go to for hardware.  If I order by 5:30 pm Mr Brown drops it off the next day some times as early as noon.  Shipping for most of my orders is between 5 and 9 dollars.

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1