UncleJerm76

HY-2 broken spring! Any suggestions?

UncleJerm76

Hope I posted this in the right section... Got my new HY-2 spring in the mail but I cannot get the old broken legs out of the pump to save my life. They are broken off about 1/16 inside the holes so there’s nothing to grab ahold of and pull. What successful things have you guys done to get your broken springs out? They are sitting in there pretty good and tight, unsuccessfully tried a strong magnet.

Edited by UncleJerm76

oldredrider

I remember using compressed air to get them out. Can't clearly recall how but it worked. 

• Like 2

CasualObserver

Let's tag @Lane Ranger on this... he did a tutorial on these pumps a while back...  perhaps he can be of some help.

• Like 1

UncleJerm76
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

I remember using compressed air to get them out. Can't clearly recall how but it worked. 

I’ll try this in the meantime

WHX??

I drilled new holes right aside the old ones.

• Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I just did this two weekends ago and I think i have to be the luckiest guy alive because I got my pieces out. I took a drill bit the same size as the hole and just clamp some vice grips on the bit. Don't use a drill!. Carefully "drill" the top of the broken piece. All we are trying to do is remove the top jagged edges of the broken piece. Then i sprayed some WD-40 in the hold and proceeded to smack the end of the pump against a flat concrete surface. Came right out on the fourth smack lol

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
4 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

took a drill bit the same size as the hole and just clamp some vice grips on the bit. Don't use a drill!. Carefully "drill" the top of the broken piece. All we are trying to do is remove the top jagged edges of the broken piece.

:text-yeahthat:                With any luck the drill bit will snag the highest point of the broken part and move it a little. If you have a set of left hand drill bits you can do this in both directions, double the likelihood of success.

• Like 2

UncleJerm76

Tried all the above last night. Man these things are wedged in there real good. Not sure what’s lefts to try, other than putting it on a drill press and carefully trying to drill out the broken off legs. I’d image I would have to go very slow so the bit don’t slip off the legs and start drill through the pump at an angle???

WHX??

Be careful... those are spring steel and might not drill the easiest.

• Like 1

wheelhorseman

I’ve had a few guys use a carbide drill bit with success. 

• Like 1

UncleJerm76
On 6/20/2018 at 2:47 PM, wheelhorseman said:

I’ve had a few guys use a carbide drill bit with success. 

10-4, just happen to have the correct size in carbide. I think if I go slow and keep cutting oil on it should be ok. Just might take a long time to get it done. Could be a prob if the broken leg starts spinning with the bit tho.

Edited by UncleJerm76

UncleJerm76

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I clamped it down nice & level to a drill press and I fought for hours going through two expensive bits and didn’t get very far at all, just 1 or 2 mm at best!

At the end of the day I went with @WHX20 suggestion. Carefully measured the depth needed and drilled two new holes immediately below the originals. I hated to do that but there was no other option. Seems to work perfectly fine now.

If this happens again I think I’ll do a modification to the new style that doesn’t slide into the pump head but rather rests against the pins. Wish I had gone that route to start with but I already bought the spring. 

Edited by UncleJerm76
  • Like 2

WHX??

Glad to hear it worked out :handgestures-thumbupright: I had only one broke off and it worked for me. Don't forget to put the roll pin in to hold it in like I did.

• Like 2