4wd-n-archery

520 xi deck 52" assembly questions

4wd-n-archery

Hi All

I am new to wheel Horses.  I have about 5 acres of grass I mow.  I have a 60" Gravely zero turn 260z.  It makes pretty quick work of it.  My son is 11 years old.  My dad had me cutting at his age.  4 acres on a 7 hp MTD circa 1970.  I loved it, and would like to get my son doing some of the cutting.

No way I am going to spend 2000 +/- on a plastic big box store mower. It will never hold up.  My gravely is a little too fast, and bumpy.  He might fly off it, so I want to get him his own mower.  He can work on it, keep it clean, etc...

So I am looking at a 414-8, and a 312-8.  But the one I really want I think is the 520xi with 52" deck.  I only have limited info on it.  Seller so far has said it is all good, but " needs new blades, spindles, and the deck leveled"?.  He sent me a picture of the deck.  The pulley configuration does not look like anything I have seen in any other pictures.  I haven't had a chance to see it in person (2 hours away)  so I am coming here to see if I can get any input on this configuration. 

Are spindles rebuildable?  Maybe I can just replace bearings?  I am prepaired to spend something to rebuild the deck, new blades, belts, fluids, etc...  Will be a nice project for me and my son.  I just don't want to get into anything impossible.

6474.jpeg

4wd-n-archery

I will probably be on this site all night researching

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Might be the wrong year but should be the same. Click on the picture.

Garry

WVHillbilly520H
34 minutes ago, 4wd-n-archery said:

Hi All

I am new to wheel Horses.  I have about 5 acres of grass I mow.  I have a 60" Gravely zero turn 260z.  It makes pretty quick work of it.  My son is 11 years old.  My dad had me cutting at his age.  4 acres on a 7 hp MTD circa 1970.  I loved it, and would like to get my son doing some of the cutting.

So I am looking at a 414-8, and a 312-8.  But the one I really want I think is the 520xi with 52" deck.  I only have limited info on it.  Seller so far has said it is all good, but " needs new blades, spindles, and the deck leveled"?.  He sent me a picture of the deck. 

Are spindles rebuildable?  Maybe I can just replace bearings?  I am prepaired to spend something to rebuild the deck, new blades, belts, fluids, etc...  Will be a nice project for me and my son.  I just don't want to get into anything impossible.

6474.jpeg

This picture you have shown looks more of the 26X series tractor and deck than the Xi's, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Jeff is correct. That is not a 5xi in the photo. The giveaway is the reversed center of the rear wheel.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

4wd-n-archery

Dang.  You guys are correct.   I have only been looking at the picture on my phone.  On my computer I am able to zoom in, and I can see it is a 267H. 

Ugh.  I just (hopefully) assumed it was a 520xi. 

Back to the drawing board.  Thanks for the info everyone.

Not know much about all the models, it looks like the 267h is not quite the machine the machine the 5xi is?

Now, do I go for the 267h model with claimed 52" cut, or one of the 312-8, or the 414-h models?  they both have 42" or 44" decks I think. 

It is never good when it is hard to get info from the seller.

dcrage

Those two tractors would have 42” or 48” if they are side discharge decks. I am not sure what size rear discharge decks are available. Both would be great tractors. In general the only advantage would be for the 414-H if there are lots of obstacles to cut around. You can change directions a lot quicker with the hydrostatic drive. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

The 267H is a really decent "mowing" machine it was the prelude to the xi garden tractors, super tight turning radius and foot pedal motion control, if all you want is a riding mower for your son to help out then the 267H and it's 52" deck should do a fine job, and snow plows/throwers were available for this series as well, @DennisThornton has a couple of these 26X series as well as xi series and should be one to tell the virtues and downfalls of both, Jeff.

DennisThornton

I love my 264H as a mower.  Foot motion control is a dream.  Only thing missing is power steering but that's missing on most Wheel Horses. 

I think it would be a great machine for your son.  Very easy to operate. 

• Like 1

4wd-n-archery

Thanks for all the input. 

We wound up going with a nice clean 312-8.  We like it very much.  Got a feeling it will not be the last one we buy.  Already looking at a 520H.  I have to sell some stuff first though.

20180623_184637.jpg

DennisThornton

Can't go wrong with that either.  

Al C.

Great experience for the young guy. Gives him something to work on besides video games and social media.  Builds character!