ebinmaine

Is this transmission case okay to use?

ebinmaine

@stevasaurus and all other transmission gurus.

Below you will see a pic of a needle bearing and the end of the shaft on my honey's 657.

I know I need to split the case and put in a needle bearing.

My concern is that in the housing you can see a broken spot right at the top on the inside of the channel where the seal sits.

There's a small piece of the casting missing.

I'm not too concerned about the seal sitting okay because the rest of it seems to be in decent condition.

I'm wondering if that little missing piece is super important or not that big of a deal.

If it is a huge concern I will put an 8-speed in my b80 and give her the 4-speed out of that tractor.

IMG_20180618_135253389.jpg.0d53cbe4f5540d5bff96fb9ec0865470.jpg

IMG_20180618_135223560.jpg.9a21fec56733ebe01ff4513a3b0f3f03.jpg

IMG_20180618_134841017.jpg.9ce504270c177b472770feb3ac200333.jpg

• Like 1

Racinbob

It probably will be fine but I do have a 5053 case that has a hairline crack where the shift rails go. I think I'm looking at the left case half in your picture. I don't remember which half had the crack on mine but I could check tomorrow. You'd be welcome to it if you could get it at the big show. :)

• Like 2

squonk

@stevebo needs to see this. Maybe he can bring it "Up Nort" enough for Eric to get it.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

The missing piece looks to be too close to the shaft to be the casting. Maybe the outside shell of the bearing?

Garry

• Like 5

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

The missing piece looks to be too close to the shaft to be the casting. Maybe the outside shell of the bearing?

Garry

That could very well be Garry.

Not having ever had one of these apart I figured I had better consult the :wh: experts and see.

I work off of my smartphone 99% of the time. I'll get on the PC and look at some bigger pictures from one of Steve's threads.

@Racinbob that's a very generous offer and I appreciate it. Let's see how this plays out.

@squonk thank you for trying to help. We may have to play transmission case relay at some point.

I should be able to ask @JimmyJam to bring it up to me in a month or two if it turns out it's needed.. He's going to be at the Big Show.

• Like 4

Racinbob

I think you're on to something Garry. In any case...........:rolleyes: if you want it you're welcome to it. I just need to know right away. Two engines loaded and secured today and final loading tomorrow. Here's a picture of the crack.

5b2819c79ee40_Cracked5053.JPG.0269b3c51df0cfb71b7eff2a956bcbeb.JPG

I'm sure that could be repaired but is probably serviceable as is since it's a low stress area. Again, I'm not sure what half it is tonight. I also think I removed all the bearings. Just let me know if you want it and have a pony express relay driver.

• Like 2

WHNJ701
27 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

that's what I see, I had the same thing on my 854, this winter I will split it and change it out

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Garry is correct...it is what is left of the bearing race.  If your transmission is clean...Open it, pull out the differential, tap out the bearing shell. Tap in the new bearing, and slide back in the differential and close it up.  boom-sha-ka-la-ka  :occasion-xmas:

Bearing...KOYO # B-1616

Seal...SKF # 9815

Case Gasket (from TORO)...WH # 3912

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
Just now, stevasaurus said:

boom-sha-ka-la-ka  :occasion-xmas:

Oh I love a good boom-sha-ka-la-ka !!

Hahahahahahha.....

The irony there is we just went through a pretty nice little thunder boomer storm.

Thanks for the answers all !!

And the part numbers Steve !!

Off we go to whip apart a trans....

:banana-ninja:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You know, if that is the left side (and it looks like it), you just need to open the case.  That is the side you pull off to get inside.  If you do decide to pull everything out and clean it out good use this thread with the videos.  This one is close to what you have.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

squonk

Just make sure the Hooby-dooby is in correctly or you will lock up the gears in reverse! :)

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, squonk said:

Just make sure the Hooby-dooby is in correctly or you will lock up the gears in reverse! :)

Thank you... Mike... I'll double check my...... Ummmm..... Hooby dooby...

stevasaurus

I constantly check my Hoobie-Doobie...don't leave home without it.  :occasion-xmas:  There goes the thread..:auto-dirtbike:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

I constantly check my Hoobie-Doobie...don't leave home without it.  :occasion-xmas:  There goes the thread..:auto-dirtbike:

I want you to know I'm sitting at my dinner table reading this thread and I literally just burst out laughing.

:ROTF::ROTF:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I wish you were coming down to the show Eric.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, stevasaurus said:

I wish you were coming down to the show Eric.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Me too buddy...

We were thinking about it for several weeks but we just have too much going on this year.

• Like 1

Marv

That hooby dooby ball will get you every time if you are not careful and drop it.

Marv

• Like 3

pfrederi

When it comes to looking at pictures directions whatever computers beat smart phones every day.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

When it comes to looking at pictures directions whatever computers beat smart phones every day.

Oh Yes. I agree.

We haven't had cable here for years and we just recently cancelled internet as well.

No time to use it so why pay for it....

I can tether my PC through my phone but it costs a lot of data so I don't do it often.

ebinmaine
15 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

If your transmission is clean

Certainly is not all that clean right now but some judicious use of spray Degreaser should help out quite a bit.

I was able to order the bearing and seal from my local Granger and the gasket was less expensive at my local Toro dealer than anywhere online! I found that very odd.

Should have all the parts by the end of the week and we'll start getting this thing put back to a nice fresh clean state of happiness.

ebinmaine

@stevasaurus

Here's how it came apart. Not clean by any means but certainly not the dirtiest one I've ever seen on pictures.

There are pieces of roller bearing throughout that arm and mixed in with the big ball bearing that the differential rides in. That bearing feels okay so I'm hoping I can clean it up and not have to spend the 45 bucks or whatever that that is.

My current question for you -does the shaft normally have that slight Groove you can see?

Edit -shaft is a bit fuzzy but look just about even with the Stonewall.

IMG_20180619_100515961_HDR.jpg.ec4241c1bf4bb69d7be035a8e0df6f7a.jpg

I don't have another shaft and this one will just have to go back together the way it is after I clean it up but I'm wondering if that's a normal thing?

IMG_20180619_100252059.jpg.f76e2a6ec30e07beccf297ea284279bf.jpg

IMG_20180619_100300289.jpg.d1e183396ecf7e05e8ee49a89216535e.jpg

IMG_20180619_100304568.jpg.36686d3297f2a1792016a776ae27c5fd.jpg

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

Well I've got it all torn apart and some cleaned up and will be working on it more today.

I wire brushed the bad shaft and it's got quite a nasty spot where the bad bearing was riding.

It'll have to do for now... Trina won't be pulling much weight with this Tractor so it should get her through a season or two.

When I get past a few other projects I'll disassemble the 4 speed from the B80 and see if that shaft is better. As previously stated that Tractor is getting an 8.

@Racinbob thanks for the offer of the case!  Should be fine.

Now I'll need to figure out the shaft instead.....

AMC RULES

:angry-nono: All this talk about hoobie doobies...

makes me apprehensive about seeing any shaft picts now.  

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

Spent a few minutes with a pretty strong mix of Zep purple Power getting after the gears this morning.

Left them to sit in and oil bath until I get to reassembly.

IMG_20180624_090039933.jpg.0169371c383137cfbb2250a10ba82926.jpg

IMG_20180624_091017814.jpg.89bcc788655bd004d5959d046e24f65a.jpg