AndyK149

312-8 Manual Deck won't lift

AndyK149

Hi All, 

I am having trouble getting my deck to lift when I pull the manual deck lift bar.  It pulls up a little but doesn't lift up very much and the deck still rolls on the rear wheels.  There is a attachment height adjustment dial above the shiftier but that doesn't seem to make a difference.  The deck cuts great but I would like to be able to lift the deck when it is not in use.  Appreciate any suggestions!

953 nut

:WRS:

The height adjustment knob only limits how far down the deck can go and should be backed of all the way. If it won't lift all the way you may not have it attached to the front mount properly or may not have the lift chain in the correct hole on the rock shaft. Take a look at your mower manual and check these things.

• Like 1

AndyK149

Thanks for the suggestions, I will start there.  I have the operator manual and it doesn't offer any insight into the mower deck operation.  All the information is contained to the mower - i was surprised by that.  

gwest_ca

Lift 1984 C-165.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Not sure what mower you have, but this manual will guide you through the proper installation steps.

• Excellent 1

Tractor boy

:WRS:  Have you tried removing the deck and seeing if that lifts. If not the diagram that Garry posted will help. Check and make sure that the chain connected to part 22 is hooked up properly. I had the same problem and it turned how that the chain was set way too low. 

5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Lift 1984 C-165.jpg

boondockboost

I know this is an old thread but i think I'm having the same issue, my deck is hooked to a short rod that hooks to what would be #19 in the picture. And when i raise the deck it hits #27 and dosent let the deck go up and lock. The thing that confuses me is the mower deck is suppost to hook to #27 to start with? 

drewd
21 hours ago, boondockboost said:

I know this is an old thread but i think I'm having the same issue, my deck is hooked to a short rod that hooks to what would be #19 in the picture. And when i raise the deck it hits #27 and dosent let the deck go up and lock. The thing that confuses me is the mower deck is suppost to hook to #27 to start with? 

My tractor without part #27 uses the short rod (not a chain that is pictured above).  My 416-8 has part #27 and has the chain as shown above.  Maybe you could try and attach the rod to #27.  If the rod has part #20 you may want to buy a eye bolt and chain to make up the part.  Just a thought.

• Excellent 1

Bean701

My 312-A has done the same thing since I got it a year ago.  The handle only moves a few inches and doesn’t lock.  I’ve had the deck off and fiddle with it but I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.  I assumed the pall was just worn out or something...

drewd
On 5/18/2020 at 10:06 AM, Bean701 said:

My 312-A has done the same thing since I got it a year ago.  The handle only moves a few inches and doesn’t lock.  I’ve had the deck off and fiddle with it but I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.  I assumed the pall was just worn out or something...

With the deck off does the handle have full range of motion?  Will it lock in place when pulled back?  Mine would pull back and lock but pop out and fall with the slightest pressure.  I had to disassemble the handle and found the spring was very worn and broken.  Replaced spring and wire wheeled the entire rod, lubed and put back together.  If your handle won't move much at all you may need to remove the entire lift to check out.  I was unable to remove the rock arm but could disconnect the right side and pull out far enough to remove the rod #2 to clean and replace spring.  Hope this helps!