TC10284

520H fuel line replacement

TC10284

Have a 520H model 3120OE01. 

I need to replace the fuel line but I'm not sure how difficult it is. It's cracked a few inches below the vacuum pump.

It looks like it is routed under the gear shift plate. 

Does anyone have any steps or tips on replacing the fuel line? 

EricF

Try removing the left-hand side cover. (The one just above the footboard) The parts diagram (pg.38) shows that it should be routed just behind this cover, so it's in front of the side plate for the tunnel where the lift mechanicals are. There is also a hold-down clamp on top of the transaxle housing or frame-to-transaxle mount plate; getting to that easily may require removing the fender pan. It is, however, a fairly straight run back to the tank. Note that the fuel line should form a low point toward the front of its run behind the side cover -- lower than the fuel pump inlet and lower than the rest of the mostly-level run back to the tank -- Toro's document shows it drops level with the bottom of one of the largest round holes punched in the inner plate that's below the dash tower. This drop in the line will help limit drain-back to the tank. In general, keep it nice and low before entering the pump to give gravity a chance to help with feeding fuel to the pump -- remember that the tank is lower than the carb, so anything that can help with the feed to the pump is good. You can find the parts diagram in the files section here on Red Square.

TC10284
15 hours ago, EricF said:

Try removing the left-hand side cover. (The one just above the footboard) The parts diagram (pg.38) shows that it should be routed just behind this cover, so it's in front of the side plate for the tunnel where the lift mechanicals are. There is also a hold-down clamp on top of the transaxle housing or frame-to-transaxle mount plate; getting to that easily may require removing the fender pan. It is, however, a fairly straight run back to the tank. Note that the fuel line should form a low point toward the front of its run behind the side cover -- lower than the fuel pump inlet and lower than the rest of the mostly-level run back to the tank -- Toro's document shows it drops level with the bottom of one of the largest round holes punched in the inner plate that's below the dash tower. This drop in the line will help limit drain-back to the tank. In general, keep it nice and low before entering the pump to give gravity a chance to help with feeding fuel to the pump -- remember that the tank is lower than the carb, so anything that can help with the feed to the pump is good. You can find the parts diagram in the files section here on Red Square.

Thanks! I'll look into this. 

Any idea how long of a fuel hose I'd need? 

varosd

I think it’s 54 inches?

always get longer than you need

i just tape the old to the new and pull it through. Might have to thread it through in a couple spots but does work

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA
3 hours ago, varosd said:

i just tape the old to the new and pull it through. Might have to thread it through in a couple spots but does work

I did the same thing on my 1988 520H.  Had to coax it a bit, but the hose came right through.

TC10284

Thanks guys! I got it replaced. Was pretty easy. 

• Like 1